The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly Re: Security .380?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I recently picked up a Security-380 and have had good results so far. First range trip 50 rounds of PMC, ran flawless and locked back on each empty magazine. Decent accuracy at 7 yards. Second range trip 50 rounds Federal, all fired locked back etc but after one shot the trigger had not reset. Fired, extracted and fed the next round just fine, but dead trigger. Racked it and everything fired fine from then on. Really not sure what happened.

Yesterday I went shooting and wanted to try a small amount of defensive ammo. 17 rounds of Fiocchi Extrema with the XTP bullet. 2 failure to feed. The gun had been shot prior but wasn't filthy. Will have to try some more before loading those up for a defensive round.

Cholo

Staff member
I had a NAA .380 Guardian for years; a blowback. Then in early '08 I bought the new LCP, locked breech. Rounded off the all steel NAA weighted 20 oz and the original LCP 10 oz. The NAA kicked far more than the LCP. I tried some of the hot Buffalo Bore ammo in the NAA and it was downright brutal LOL Those metal edges took chunks of skin off everything it could contact. I didn't even think of shooting them out of the featherweight LCP. The wonder of it is that I shot all 20 out of the NAA--while bleeding, just to get rid of them :rolleyes:

Why put up with a blowback when there are so many locked breech guns being made and you get less recoil to boot? I know a lot of people who would rather have the less recoil. Given the choice of equal guns/calibers, who would say: "I like the one that recoils more!"

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
To add to Cholo's post about blowback recoil.

I think Beretta really missed the mark reintroducing the 80X. Sure it is built better than the Ruger Security-380 but a midsized 380 is already a very niche gun in today's market with so many options. Many midsize 380 buyers are going to be women, infirm arthritic etc. Many will be averse to an expensive blowback gun. And at the price point of about $700 its not exactly entry level pricing. The Security-380 is affordable and designed for ease of use, racking and shooting.