Started the favorite full size semi automatic over 2 years ago. Let’s talk about what you actually carry.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
I've seen 44 mag bullets deflect on a wild pig's skull which is built similarly to a bear's. I wouldn't trust a head shot except up through the nasal passage into the brain or into the area behind the ear (however, I did have 180 gr 357 Mags fail to penetrate a medium sized sow when shot behind the ear).

View attachment 36366
Wild boar skull:
1703960419750.png

1703960508983.png

FYI: Domestic pig skull:

I've seen 44 mag bullets deflect on a wild pig's skull which is built similarly to a bear's. I wouldn't trust a head shot except up through the nasal passage into the brain or into the area behind the ear (however, I did have 180 gr 357 Mags fail to penetrate a medium sized sow when shot behind the ear).

View attachment 36366
The Lehigh XP's punch through windshield glass like it's not even there. They punch through 3/8" mild steel.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
The Lehigh XP's punch through windshield glass like it's not even there. They punch through 3/8" mild steel.
I must make a correction: I use the Extreme Defense from Underwood.

It isn't a lack of power, it's the slope of the skull. Looking at the skulls above, there just isn't much of a "flat" straight forward-facing bone. Karamojo Bell used a 275 Rigby (aka 7x57 Mauser) on over 200 elephants for single shot kills. But elephants have a flat thin spot that allows penetration.

Paul B

Hunter
I've probably carried a 1911 of one sort or another foe years. Many many years ago when I still lived in San Francisco some punk bumped my car and when I got out to see if there was any damage they piled out and beat me up right in front of a bus stop with about a dozen people watching. To this day I have no idea why they singled me out for their fun. The "good" people not only did not offer to help but none even bothered to use the pay phone on that corner to call the cops. One even hollered for them to kick me gain. A friendly pawn broker had just bought a gun from someone needing cash and sold me the gun under the table, an Ithaca 1911 .45 ACP. I carried that gun until I went into the Air Force and resumed carry after getting out. Getting a CCW permit in San Francisco was totally impossible without connections of which I had none. My grandmother had a business and would go to the day and night branch of bank of America to make her deposits. Sometimes they could be as high as $10,000 and her business was in the heart of the tenderloin district. Time frame when I started going with her was late 1964 until early 1968 when I left California for good. Shortly after that move I had to sell that .45 so my soon to be wife, her three kids and I could eat. When I finally found a job that paid a livable wage I took a short trip back to Frisco to see a friend. Saw another friend who did a bit of wark in the "new" 1911A1 which I still have to this day although it's semi-retired. These days I carry an all steel Colt Combat Commander, .45 ACP naturally as primary carry and an S&W M60 .38 Spl. for a bug. The Commander has an 8 round Wilson magazine with one up the spout and two spare 10 round Wilsons should they be necessary. Even got legal bonafide CCW to go with the pair.

Sometimes when I have to be more discrete, I'll go with a made in Germany Walther PPK/s and three spare magazines. But frankly, 99% of the time it'll be with the Commander and M60.

I did pick up a Taurus PT99 9MM a few years back from a coworker whose wife wanted that nasty old gun out of the house for cheap. I call it my Brazillion Beretta. Empty, without a magazine it weighs a lot more than even my full size 1911s with full magazine and out up the spout. Trigger pull is outrageously stiff as well on DA pull and the SA pull ain't much better. It came with two magazines and someone here on this forum had a bunch of magazines that they didn't know wht they went to. I saw the made in Brazil stamped on them and took a chance they were for a PT92. The difference between the 92 and 99 is the 99 has adjustable sights. The mags work in both guns. The thing I like about the Taurus is the safety works exactly like the 1911 and you can carry it cocked and locked condition one just like the 1911.
Paul B.

jkbrecht

Bearcat
Nowadays I carry a 9 mm Beretta PX4 Storm Type G Compact customized by Langdon Tactical Technology (trigger job and stippled grip; Robar slide finish; Ameriglo orange tritium front sight). It replaced a full size 9 mm Walther PPQ M2, which has a fantastic stock trigger.