The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly Re: Security .380?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

What has been your experience? I am considering faster, flatter shooting than micro 9mm using the Underwood Extreme Defender .380

I've always preferred double-stack .380s to the micro-sized single-stacks, so when I came across a new Security-380 at a local shop, I took it home. I like the size (just a bit larger than a Kel-Tec P11), and it fits my hand very well, with the mag release & safety right where I like 'em. The sights and trigger also work well for me. The slide racks easily, and the mags (one 10-rd & one 15-rd) are pretty easy to load.

I sold almost all of my .380 ammo to a friend back during the China virus, so I have to start from scratch in that regard. I had one box of Fiocchi FMJ range ammo and a partial box of Winchester hollow points along for my first trip to the range, and the only malfunction was a single failure to completely chamber, for the second FMJ round out of a full 15-rd magazine. Everything else fed, fired, extracted & ejected like clockwork, including every single JHP.

I'm part way into loading some 95 & 115 gr plated bullets, plus some 105 gr coated cast bullets, for my next range trip - I'll also pick up some more factory ammo when I have a chance. Based on my limited experience the first time out, I'm not really expecting any problems, but time will tell!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
:)

One potentially useful thing about the Security-380 (if you're a reloader) is that the mag well will also accept Security-9 mags. There's published reloading data available for .380 using 115 gr (& heavier) bullets, but overall cartridge length is limited to 0.984" - seat bullets out much longer than that, and the rounds will bind in the magazine. I've got some 115 gr truncated cone bullets I picked up for loading 9x19mm that are too long to use for .380; I can't seat them deep enough to get the cartridge length below 1.010", and they bind up in the Security-380 mag at that length. But I put together a few dummy .380 rounds with the same bullets seated even farther out (at 1.100" COAL), and they chamber just fine & also seem to feed without issues from a Security-9 mag!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

dweis

Blackhawk
I switched from 9mm (Security 9 Compact) to a Security 380 when the arthritis in my hands forced the issue. Now I find that I m more accurate with the 380, and faster too. I load Extereme Defender 68 Gr. That bullet travel fast. The recoil is barely more than a 22 LR. I ove the 380. Sorry I did not switch spooner. I can more reliably put a hit on the Sternum with my 380 tan I could with my 9mm. If I hit a perp in the sternum with a 380 68gr Extreme Defender, the likely minimaln outcome is I will slow him down to get ahead shot in.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Different firearm. I have a 9 but I never load it. I have an Interarms/ FEG AP MK2....or AP9S (380) however you want to name it, it as a 3.9 inch all steel double action Walther look alike. I love it and I carry it in a leather basket weave holster. Blah Blah Blah....my point is, I only load it with Buffalo Bore ammo.
FMJ, hollow point, FMJ, hollow point until they are all full.

Dave Schwaab

Single-Sixer
My calibers of choice are .22 LR and .45 Colt. Before the Bruen decision, I had always thought I would use my SR22 if concealed carry ever became possible in New Jersey. After the Bruen decision, New Jersey opened up concealed carry, with a great many restrictions, including specifying a minimum caliber of .380 ACP.

My .45s are big single-actions, so I needed to get something else for CCW. I wasn't really a fan of the LCPs and Micro-9s, but then Ruger introduced the Security-380. I like the locked breach, the 10 round magazine capacity (New Jersey, remember) and the addition of a rail. It's a bit thicker than the SR22, but I'm almost as fast and accurate with it as with my SR22.

With Hornady Critical Defense rounds, this is my CCW. I do like the Underwood Extreme Defender rounds, but there is some question about their use in New Jersey, where bullets with a "solid metal core" can be considered as "armor-piercing"! I have NO intention of becoming the poster child for that legal battle.

Last edited:

mficca1

Bearcat
I have about 300 rounds through my Security 380. Feeds perfectly with CCI ammo but I ran into FTF issues with Norma 380 ammo. I contacted Norma and they are working with the vendor I made the purchase from, and they are going to allow a return. I purchased this Norma ammo on a great price of 27 cents a round. Too good to be true, I guess. Anyone having issues with any other type of ammo brands in your Security 380?

Paul B

Hunter
Normal CCW carry is a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP with an S&W M60 as back up. The .45 uses an 8 round mag with one up the spout for 9 shoots. Back up magazines are 10 round Wilsons.
With that said, sometimes a more discreet carry is necessary. Gun is a Walther PPK/s .380 with a couple of spare magazines. Back up is a Walther PP .32ACP again with a couple of spare magazines. Truth be told the Walthers are rarely carried preferring my normal carry procedure.
Paul B.

Recently purchased one. I plan on a range run this week and will post my thoughts on it then. Even before I fire it I like the way it fits my hand better than the LCP II. I did notice that the mags are a bear to load even with the included loader.

adrockzx10

Bearcat
I have had quite a few failure to feed issues. The pistol seems to be very picky about being exceptionally clean to the point where by the end of a longer range session she starts to fail to feed quite a bit.

I have not had good luck with fiocchi ammo, nor have I had good luck with any defense ammo that has a sharp angle where the case meets the bullet. I have the best luck with razor and Federal target rounds, and Federal defense, I believe because the federal defense has more of a round bullet. Even those have a ftf every 3 mags or so.

I'm on the fence about whether to talk to Ruger about it to see if it should go back, or if I should have my smith polish the feed ramp and bolt face.

mficca1

Bearcat
I have had quite a few failure to feed issues. The pistol seems to be very picky about being exceptionally clean to the point where by the end of a longer range session she starts to fail to feed quite a bit.
I too have had feed issues with my Security 380. A buddy of mine has one and he has had no issues at all. I did call Ruger and we decided to see how mine does over the next couple of range visits. I will say that with CCI FMJ round nose ammo my gun never has feeding and firing issues. I did pick up some Winchester and initially had a few feed issues. The Winchester ammo has a sharp ridge at the shell casing. Now my last range visit, last week, I had no FTF issues with the Winchester ammo. Maybe my 380 is starting to break in?

Latest posts