Windage adjustment on Bearcat shopkeeper

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Frank,, as noted,, nothing to drift,, and it is the name applied to the spring loaded impact tool. But that little tool can do a very minor shift of the angle of the front sight blade. It worked for him on his shopkeeper.

akmania

Single-Sixer
Frank,, as noted,, nothing to drift,, and it is the name applied to the spring loaded impact tool. But that little tool can do a very minor shift of the angle of the front sight blade. It worked for him on his shopkeeper.

Yes, you can make a precise move with it or drive it home. Just depends on how much you pull the spring back.It makes a hard job very easy.You can use it for a lot of different things.MUCH BETTER than a hammer and punch.Great tool! If you own, shoot, work on guns it's handy to have.

Oh I am aware that is the name of the tool. From the rear of the rear sight to the rear of the front site is 4". Rather than attempt to 'bend' the front sight why not open up the left side of the rear sight notch and offset the front to where it works

contender

Ruger Guru
That's exactly what I was talking about in my previous post,, after he'd already made the adjustment. I opened the rear channel (rear sight notch,) of my Vaquero by just a little to correct my issue.

wagwan

Bearcat
I like the concept of this tool. I just ordered one to hopefully replace my hammer and brass punch. I have lots of driftable rear sights. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Those shopkeepers are great little revolvers. I just finished reaming a spare cylinder to 22 mag for mine. I haven't been to the range enough yet to see if both cylinders shoot to the same POI. Hopefully, I can accomplish this with ammo choices but other adjustments may be necessary.

akmania

Single-Sixer
It works much better than a hammer and punch. Let me know what you think about it when you get it.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!!!

I have a Vaquero in .45 Colt,, that when I'd shoot it,, I'd get "left & low" groups. Before I went to "tinkering" on it,, I had a very good handgun shooter,, (sixshot) test fire it. He too got the same "left & low" with a very nice tight group. I thought I'd have to wrestle him to keep my gun. He still wants it.
But,, after confirming the need for a bit of corrective surgery,, I chose a different route. Knowing front sights can POSSIBLY pop off from too much force or attempts at bending,, I decided to work on the rear sight channel.
We mounted the gun in a mill, and using a tiny end mill cutter,, we carefully opened the rear sight channel a little,, causing the alignment to shift. So little was removed,, it can't be seen. Plus,, my gun is stainless.
Someone with steady hands & a bit of patience,, and skill, could use a file to get the same results.
The elevation issue was resolved with a different load.
A little JB weld or similar can be used to backfill the rear sight after widening the other side. If it's stainless I might even consider a little weld metal to fill.

I've been laying the front sight blade against a hockey puck and, after covering the barrel with thin cardboard so I don't mar it, whacking the barrel with a rubber hammer. I hold my breath doing this in fear the blade will break, but so far been working out okay.

I once saw a custom Vaquero with a black rear sight insert that was not a full sight, but rather just a tiny black piece of metal with a square notch to present a better sight picture. Now if this could be made to shift the notch to the left or right, this would be a great idea. Imagine how easy it would be and the number of accurate Vaqueros on the planet afterwards as opposed to the thousands of owners out there living with one shooting 4-5" to one side.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Why ALL fixed sight handguns do not have dovetailed front sights is a mystery to me.
That has fixed more than a few of my "problem" pistolas.
Most Semi-autos of any worth have gone that way.

akmania

Single-Sixer
Dovetails on the front or back would be nice. I guess it would cost more to mill it out.