Windage adjustment on Bearcat shopkeeper

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akmania

Single-Sixer
Anybody got any suggestions on adjusting the windage on a Bearcat shopkeeper? Mine iis shooting 1" right , groups are great and elevation is good, with all types of ammo.shooting from a rest and off hand 7-10 yards. I don't want to spend $70 sending it to Ruger and get it back doing the same thing. Thanks

1" at 7-10yds is generally within the margin for error. You could bend the front site or file/fill the rear sight. If you only shoot one distance you could 3 pin tweak the barrel to be accurate at that one distance.

akmania

Single-Sixer
I got 2 other regular NEW Bearcats and they are dead on windage . What's the 3 pin tweak?
I wish I could clock the barrel just a tad.

I got 2 other regular NEW Bearcats and they are dead on windage . What's the 3 pin tweak?
I wish I could clock the barrel just a tad.
You set 2 pins on one side at the base and end and the center on the other side and you bend the barrel till it hits where you want. Whenever you get fixed sights you get what you get. The front sight tweak is probably the easiest.

akmania

Single-Sixer
It would take just a very very small amount of movement of the front sight to the move the point of impact.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
You set 2 pins on one side at the base and end and the center on the other side and you bend the barrel till it hits where you want. Whenever you get fixed sights you get what you get. The front sight tweak is probably the easiest.
You forgot to mention the vise. It all squeezes in a vice. :oops:
Actually sounds better and easier to control than the way I was told ,,,,,,,, whacking it with a Babbit bar.
I tried that once but never had enough guts to hit it hard enough. :unsure:

If I have to bend a front sight, I flip the gun upside down and put the blade in the bench vise jaws almost all the way to the barrel.
Then gently rock the gun just a little
Downside , if you hear a POP ,,,,,, it's too late.
I have actually bent them quite a bit that way BUT, if you go too far and have to back it up , you're very likely to hear that pop. :eek:

akmania

Single-Sixer
I hate to mess with trying to bend the front sight on a high dollar handgun like that,BUT like I said it won't take very little to move the point of impact. I thought about using my Wyoming sight drifter tool.

Attachments

• IMG_0809.jpeg
    IMG_0809.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 78

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Not to seem snarkie but: aim 1" left. It's not like this is an Olympic grade target gun. Anything you try has the potential of making the situation far worse.
Tis true , when bending sights it can all go south real fast.
But also true is 1" off at 7 yards is a whole bunch of inches off at 50 yards.
I really prefer dovetailing troublesome front sights on troublesome fixed sight guns.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
I have another option you might
want to consider. It's not risky and
doesn't have the potential to
damage the gun.

Since your Revolver isn't meant for
precision target shooting, consider
aiming sighting with positioning the
front sight left/right within the Rear
sight groove. Usually all the way over
to the side, with all the light on one side.

This will of course require you to remember
which side to put the Front Sight. If don't
shoot it a lot put a note in it's case.

I have a 3" revolver that I do this sighting
with and worked quite well within 50 feet.
This Revolver barrel is NOT canted, is
clocked correctly and NOT bent right/left.

The Best to you and your Endeavors.

akmania

Single-Sixer
How does that tool work?
Just put the brass piece up against the sight or whatever you want to move, hold the piece behind the brass and pull on the other piece on the end and let it go. It's spring loaded , works something like a slide hammer

Just google Wyoming sight drifter, he has a video. They have different types since I bought mine.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Glad to hear you got it fixed!!!

I have a Vaquero in .45 Colt,, that when I'd shoot it,, I'd get "left & low" groups. Before I went to "tinkering" on it,, I had a very good handgun shooter,, (sixshot) test fire it. He too got the same "left & low" with a very nice tight group. I thought I'd have to wrestle him to keep my gun. He still wants it.
But,, after confirming the need for a bit of corrective surgery,, I chose a different route. Knowing front sights can POSSIBLY pop off from too much force or attempts at bending,, I decided to work on the rear sight channel.
We mounted the gun in a mill, and using a tiny end mill cutter,, we carefully opened the rear sight channel a little,, causing the alignment to shift. So little was removed,, it can't be seen. Plus,, my gun is stainless.
Someone with steady hands & a bit of patience,, and skill, could use a file to get the same results.
The elevation issue was resolved with a different load.