Why You Should Carry a Knife Instead of a Gun for Self-Defense

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ranger

Single-Sixer
I used to do martial arts pretty seriously, have a black belt in one style, and trained extensively in others. During those days, a friend and I worked on knife and gun defenses a lot (I still have visible scars from cuts on my hands decades later). Given a choice within handshake distance, I'd prefer to go against a gun. Some of the knife defenses work so well in practice that it's almost magic how effective they can be. Problem is that people sometimes do stupid stuff and aren't 100% predictable. Their stupid stuff can get you hurt badly.

Given a choice of which to bring to a party, I'd choose both (and pepper spray)! If limited to one, it'd be a gun.

tbobcar

Single-Sixer
I am a combat Marine, albeit Vietnam. Granted my view of dangerous situations may be skewed but I have never seen anyone succeed with a knife, except when the person being attacked was completely unarmed. I offer a few thoughts:
Firstly, who is going to attack with a knife, guns yes, knives? "okay, this is a holdup everyone on the floor, or I'll stab you", Naw. Secondly, have you ever stabbed anyone, it takes a lot of grit. Few (sober) people can do it. Throat cuts are one heck of a mess. Blood is slippery and it is difficult to hold a weapon for a second strike.
Thirdly, knife wounds rarely slow an attacker very much, unless it's a bayonet thrust. Whereas, a .45 anywhere, even just taking the hair off an ear, is going to stop an attacker.
As far as the question of where does a bullet stop, good point; however, I use #9 shot in my 1911,
up close it will make a big hole. It will do nothing after 15-20 feet, except make a big, big noise.

tbobcar

Single-Sixer

Why You Should Carry a Knife Instead of a Gun for Self-Defense

Click Here ↓↓↓ To Read Article.
Okay, thank you for the well presented arguements for an edged weapons carry.
However, I can think of half a dozen knife fights and duals that I saw in Vietnam '68 and '69. A couple people had their throats cut and another guy stopped a thrown bayonet with his forehead.

A knife's ability to be hidden, to be silent, and be quite lethal are just what scares hell out of me.
Maybe Col Fairbairn was a champion knife fighter and maybe there are other people around as good as he was, but don't you see,
that is what scares hell out of me.

Nobody wins a real firefight just one side has the fewer dead and injured. Nobody wins a real knife fight just one side has fewer ears, eyes, and other severable body parts missing.
I can tell you who wins a knife Vs
gun fight, easily with no damage.

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
I carry both, a case CS blade for boxes and such and a bench made auto for people and such. But if it comes to the time a real threat is presented I will go for my handgun first. I will take the risk of being fired for carrying long before I will go unarmed. With the way the world is and all the disgruntled employee shootings that have happened, I don't plan to wait under my desk until I am found and shot. It would make a horrible obituary.

bigdave101

HONOR

pyth0n

Buckeye
I read the whole article, and it ignores so many realities it is laughable. If someone is 50 feet away and pulls a gun on me, they are most assuredly a threat, and a knife is pretty useless. I am also arthritic to the point of being crippled, so getting into any scuffle where the bad guy is close enough for me to effectively deploy a knife is not likely to end well for me. And I challenge anyone to tell me the presentation of a pocket knife is more likely to cause a bad guy to stop acting aggressively and turn tail than a firearm. I also want to know what percentage of violent encounters have been stopped by one or two pokes with a three or four inch blade. Kinda' willing to bet it's not as high as poking one or two 45+ caliber holes completely through an attacker. Sorry, the entire premise of using a knife as a primary defensive weapon is bogus. I carry a Kershaw Speed Bump (made in the USA, Ken Onion design) and a Leatherman REBAR daily, so I do have multiple blades on me at all times, but I sure wouldn't stake my safety or that of others on them.
"If someone is 50 feet away and pulls a gun on me, they are most assuredly a threat, and a knife is pretty useless."
Don't take the article personal.
But what about defending yourself from someone close to you in any environment, & not 50 feet away? Or attacks without a gun or any weapon at all? You can be in danger of serious injury or death from an empty hand attack in close quarters. Using a gun ignores so many realities also.
One of the knives I have is a Ka-Bar TDI, designed by a police officer for police officers for use, as they state, "In extreme close-quarter encounters where a suspect is attempting to take an officer's handgun, or an officer cannot access his or her handgun, the TDI knife is available as a "last option" knife."
Designed by John Benner, founder and owner of Tactical Defense Institute.
kabar.com/product?item=1480

The article;
"Knives are inherently hand-to-hand weapons. They are designed to affect only that which they can touch."
"I understand why for many, the best self-defense option out there is a concealed firearm."

Then there's this from another post;

JMO

Last edited:

noahmercy

Blackhawk
"If someone is 50 feet away and pulls a gun on me, they are most assuredly a threat, and a knife is pretty useless."
Don't take the article personal.
But what about defending yourself from someone close to you in any environment, & not 50 feet away? Or attacks without a gun or any weapon at all? You can be in danger of serious injury or death from an empty hand attack in close quarters. Using a gun ignores so many realities also.
One of the knives I have is a Ka-Bar TDI, designed by a police officer for police officers for use, as they state, "In extreme close-quarter encounters where a suspect is attempting to take an officer's handgun, or an officer cannot access his or her handgun, the TDI knife is available as a "last option" knife."
Designed by John Benner, founder and owner of Tactical Defense Institute.
kabar.com/product?item=1480

The article;
"Knives are inherently hand-to-hand weapons. They are designed to affect only that which they can touch."
"I understand why for many, the best self-defense option out there is a concealed firearm."

Then there's this from another post;

JMO
Thank you for taking the time to take one small quote from my post, then write a reply which completely ignores everything else I wrote.😆 Since police are known to carry firearms, and they are highly visible, they are far more likely to encounter a situation where a bad guy is trying to get their guns away from them. They also have to get close enough to a bad guy to arrest them, thus placing them in close proximity. I carry concealed, am exceedingly aware of my surroundings, and place myself at a tactical advantage to avoid "close encounters", thus the chances of finding myself that scenario are very slim. If, despite my best efforts I am faced with someone attempting to remove my primary firearm, I have a small BUG I carry weak-side so that I can quickly and easily access it. A bullet from that which penetrates 14-16 inches is way more likely to end the attack quickly than a 2-3 inch knife blade.

And again, I will reiterate the simple fact that immediate incapacitation of an attacker who may be mentally or chemically impaired is virtually impossible with a knife. They are unlikely to have the pain/flight response a rational person would upon being stabbed or cut. I have a martial arts background, and am quite adept with a blade, but they are poor choices for defense in most scenarios, full stop.

As to the guy killing a bear with a knife, good on him. A lady once killed a record grizzly with a .22 LR. Does that make it a practical or viable cartridge for protection against large, dangerous game? Of course not. One-off happenings are simply exceptions...they do not prove something is a good idea.