Why You Should Carry a Knife Instead of a Gun for Self-Defense

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I carry both, but for different reasons. Do a quick internet search for knife wounds recieved by LEO's who hesitated just a little too long when someone armed with a blade came at them...It isn't for the squeamish.

Billy1953

Single-Sixer
ask the muslim dude who attacked Indiana Jones with his sword what he thinks about that idea. I'll stick with a pistol but thanks anyway knife guy
It is obvious you did not read the article, if you did, you would not have wrote what you did.

I've carried a pocket knife since I was 10, so that makes 70 years with a knife of some kind in my pocket. Mostly now I use it to open the boxes from Amazon that arrive almost daily. At 80 years old, with fake knees that won't let me run, arthritic hands that can hardly make a fist, and with only one kidney that I will not risk by having a fist fight, I think I'll stick to carrying a gun. Even if the gun I carry is just a lightweight, 5 round, 38 caliber double action revolver I feel a lot more secure than if I only had the little 3 inch blade Kershaw in my pocket.

I read the whole article and the guy makes some good points. HOWEVER, IMO, carrying a knife for self defense might be ok for a younger man or woman. The average person over age 40 would be at a distinct disadvantage just due to the physiology of a person of that age. You just can't bend, twist, grab, maneuver, like a younger person and just the training may mess with your body. Oh, I am sure that there are people out there over 40 that are as nimble as a younger person but I believe they are in the minority.

I also carry a knife with me daily, and now the PA has finally made assisted opening knives legal, I carry one of those a lot more. But my knife carrying is for general use and is not geared to self defense. I carry a firearm for my and my wifes protection. Pure and simple I am way more comfortable with a firearm if things go bad than with a knife.

It violates rule 1 - DON'T BRING A KNIFE TO A GUN FIGHT.

It also violates a somewhat different rule #1 (although maybe it's the same rule, just worded differently):

"KYJim's Rules of Carry"
1) Any gun is better than no gun.
2) A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not.
3) A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place.
4) A bigger hole is a better hole.

:)

Latest posts