A Couple of Valuable Knives

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
To me, at least. These little guys were found in the effects of my Grandfather when he passed in 1970. They're the sort of knife that one would get at a trade show back in the 1930s. The "large" one is a Kent, manufactured in New York. The little one is a Keen Kutter. The crushed ice scales are yellowed with age.

My Grandpa was in the clothing trade all his life, as was my Dad. Grandpa carried those knives every day, I'm sure...I've cleaned them up and sharpened them and every now and then I carry one.
Makes me feel a bit closer to Grandpa, after all these years...

20230923_100857.jpg

eveled

Hawkeye
@sfhogman beautiful knives. Given the sentimental value they have to you. I wanted to make sure you realize they have celluloid handles.

Watch them carefully for evidence of out gassing. Do not store them in a sealed space. Do not store them together or with other knives.

Celluloid deteriorates and the gas that is released is highly corrosive it will destroy the knife and anything else near it.

There are craftsmen that can rehandle those knives with more stable materials. If it comes down to that.

Again beautiful knives thanks for sharing.

The living corpse of San Francisco Ca USA
Thanks very much.
I knew a bit about aging celluloid, having some Christmas ornaments from the 1890s...they're incredibly fragile and brittle...nothing really to be done about conserving them.
The knives are stored separately, lightly oiled with a thin coat of conservators wax on the scales.
Thanks again.

eveled

Hawkeye