Why does the Ruger Montado web description say this??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was creating a listing for my Ruger Montado .45 I bought new back in 2014... fired six rounds... then put it in the safe until now... anyway, I was creating a gunbroker for sale page... I went to the Ruger web site to copy and paste the description. I got to this part:

> Additional features include a deeply checkered, low, wide hammer spur to ease one-handed cocking and grooves on the front of the grip frame to help the shooter keep a firm grip under competitive conditions.

That puzzled me... I know about the special hammer but grooves on the front of the grip frame? So I went and got the gun... I have looked up and down and all around... I could be blind, I'm 61 and forgetful... but I sure as heck don't see any grooves?!

Is it a feature that Ruger announced and then decided not to actually incorporate into the final product? That's a weird one!

Gregg

NikA

Buckeye

The answer you seek is in this thread. Apparently the grooves were eliminated due to CASS rules.

G2

Hunter
The very first Montado's did have the grooves, and as mentioned by NikA, it was not approved by SASS, Thus the change.

IMG_0441.jpeg

Last edited:

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
I really don't understand CASS rules...simple grooves on a grip frame are not allowed, but you can use a Colt Gold Cup, Kimber target version, or any of the other 1911 platforms with adjustable sights, in the Wild Bunch matches. I shot CASS style matches when they first came out and it was a lot of fun. IMO it was ruined as people started shooting ultra light loads, just enough to ring the metal. The "short" stroke kits are another I don't understand. The original Cowboy Action Shooting matches were supposed to simulate "old west" style shoot outs. Now some of the holster rigs are very similar to to those worn in modern IPSC style matches. Being an old west buff, I have never seen pics of anyone wearing rigs like the ones that are used in today's matches. Again, this is my opinion, and if I didn't like it, I could quit...which I did. Thus endeth my rant...

Latest posts