Who loads for the almighty 45-70 Government?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
The question is...who doesn't reload for .45-70 Always looking for a great source of spent brass. :D

The NEF action is VERY strong. You will never have anyone say it, but I would put it pretty close to the strength of the #1....however I would never load it mast Marlin levels. The recoil on a 5# gun would detach your retinas.

My favorite powders are 2400 for plinkers and Reloader 7 for the bazooka loads. Laser-Cast Oregon trail are lead bullets, but shouldn't leave any streaks if you keep them under 1600 fps.

Aside from .38 special...45-70 is the most fun to shoot and easiest to load cartridge that exists. Love it!

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I_Like_Pie":3tafs9fv said:
Aside from .38 special...45-70 is the most fun to shoot and easiest to load cartridge that exists. Love it!

Except if you don't bell the mouth enough and wrinkle the case. I've never done that until last weekend taking a test drive with RCBS dies and new brass.

I've heard (Greybeard Outdoors H&R Forum) that the H&R should be kept to Lever Action levels. It has been reported that the latch will release with too high of loads and you'll get some receiver stretch over time. But yeah, a seven pound rifle and 40+ ft-lbs of recoil will definately leave a mark, if not detact your retinas. There's a reason that the 50 Cal rifles have massive brakes on them!

Rainman

Blackhawk
I shoot a Shiloh 1874 Sharps Long Range Express in 45-70 and it loves 5744. I use it for everything from the standard 405 gr, the 525gr Lyman 457125 (the old government bullet which is the most accurate) and the 535gr Postell. 5744 duplicates the original black powder loadings that would shoot through a buffalo lengthwise with lower pressure than Varget or 4198- both excellent powders for the 45-70.

I also shoot 300 gr, bullets in a Marlin 1895 Limited that's my go-to bear rifle using Varget.

Dan

clintsfolly

Single-Sixer
CD i have a 450Marlin boltgun and shoot castboolits out of it. my go to load is a 330hp at 2100fps 100rds down the tube and no leading!! fit is the key Clint

Landric

Bearcat
I also have a NEF Handi-Rifle in .45-70. I like H4198, 2400, and Trail Boss for it. I have the synthetic stock version, so I am not interested in loading it up to its full potential. With 4198 I can push a 405 grain cast bullet to 1500 fps with reasonably mild recoil and have a lot of fun. 2400 is my favorite combination of plinking fun and velocity, same bullet at 1100 fps give or take, with a moderate charge. The Trail Boss is good for around 1000 fps and has almost no recoil.

I'm hoping to pick up a Lyman 457125 mold in the near future so I can play with the 500+ grain bullet.

45 Colt

Bearcat
Spike66":3rb9i76r said:
Is the 45-70 normally shot from a rifle? I ask this because last week at the range I was on the Pistol side and there was a bunch of W-W 45-70 brass. It must have been quite a bang shooting one of those from a handgun.

I only grabbed one of the cases because I thought it was pretty cool. I'm wishing I would have grabbed them all as I'm sure someone could have used them.
Yes, the 45-70 is normally a rifle cartridge.
Should look up "Sandy Hook Tests". :wink:
Yes, there are some big revolvers that does shoot this cartridge.
I like the Trapdoor loads.
The 405gr with 70gr (volume) BP, 2F are not under powered by any means.
(45-70-405)
They are powerful in their own right.Mild recoil.Still full power loads.
Same with the 500gr.(45-70-500) I still have a bruise from shooting 2 weeks ago.I made the 500gr last year.
Lube is my own mix.Beeswax and a smidge of lard.
Experimenting with some more beeswax to make a somewhat harder lube.
If and when you can,scarf up those cases ! Some areas,those cases are a little hard to come by.
Ready to go out again,when a member here gives me another call.
You have a good weekend.

Rainman

Blackhawk
Landric:
The 457125 Lyman comes out at about 525 gr and is one of the most accurate bullets ever designed for the 45-70. A lot of the BPCR shooters still use it today out to 600 yds. Funny a government bullet from the 1870s would still be in demand today. Combine that with 5744 or black and you've got a real pleasant and pratical load.

Dan

Landric

Bearcat
I will be getting one of those molds eventually. The major appeal of casting to me (other than the whole next logical step in handloading progress) is the ability to shoot boolits that are either unavailable otherwise or prohibitively expensive otherwise.

The .45-70 in general falls into that category, but 500-525 grain loads are hard to come buy in addition to being hugely overpriced. Its nice to be able to shoot .45-70 for less than $0.10 a round, and be firing ammunition that is better for my rifle than anything I can buy from the factory at any price.

Right now I'm shooting 405 grain boolits I cast myself, but that Lyman mold is in my future.

clintsfolly

Single-Sixer
cd i was aware that your shooting a 45/70 my point was you can go way past 1600fps with a properly sized and loaded cast boolit. hope to help if needed Clint

rusty77

Bearcat
I have a custom Siamese Mauser in 45/70. Normal load is 51g H4198 with a 300g JHP. It will put 3 touching at 100 yards. Yes, it kicks. Rifle is big and heavy, accurate.

clintsfolly

Single-Sixer
my 450Marlin(just a 45/70 with a belt) load is 330hp cast/55gr aa2230/with a gas check upside down in case set with the boolit.this shootsa 2100fps if over 3"at 200yds its my fault Clint

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Well, I touched off a few this past weekend to determine where my "comfort" level was. 52 gr of 3031 under a 300 gr JHP is a very pleasent round to shoot, but there seemed to be just a bit of a delay when shooting. 54 gr eliminated the delay and perked up the recoil a bit but still easy on the shoulder. 56 gr definately got my attention; but wow, 58 gr made my right fingers tingle (I'm right handed). I shot them all sitting down off of a rest. I wasn't shooting for accuracy, but I did get my scope close. I am leaning towards 53-54 grains for my hunting load. I don't want it to kick me out of the tree, but I want to make sure that when the temperature drops those large sticks of 3031 ignite. I'll be going back to the loading bench this week to get another range session ready for final sighting in. Then it is the early gun hunt in October!

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
CD, give 4198 a try. Hornady just released their 325 gr FTX bullets (leverevolution). Their load data using 47.9 gr IMR4198 is 2150 fps. (max load). The only problem with this bullet is you need to trim the brass quite a bit.
Another load I have for my Marlin is 61 gr of H4895 under a 300 gr Nosler PP. I haven't put it through a chrono but I think it is close to 2000 fps.
Using a 300 gr jacketed bullet you should be able to hit 2000 fps with these two powders. With 4895 you will be close to or at max.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
Whelp, I'm a headed back to the range again tonight to try and sight in that lil' Handi-Rifle for our early gun deer season coming up in a couple weeks. I did notice on Hodgdon's websight that 59.5 grains of IMR-3031 is the max for the TRAPDOOR level :shock: and I only managed to get up to 58 grains! That little seven pound rifle doesn't absorb a lot of recoil, that's for sure, and wandering up into the "Lever-Action" load range would be pure misery if you ask me.

I don't own a chrono, so all shooting will be judged on accuracy. I've started at 55 grains and loaded up to 58 grains again in one grain increments. I'm not expecting a lot of charge-to-charge accuracy variation with 3031, but I needed something to do at the range anyways. :roll:

Enigma

Hunter
I have a NEF Buffalo Classic .45-70, and to date, have only shot black powder through it. It's a hoot!

I may eventually break down and try some smokeless loads in it - probably with a 22" barrel, as I want to restrict the 32" tube to cast boolits and BP. It's too light to comfortably shoot heavy loads through, especially with the steel buttplate. I filled the stock bolt hole with lead shot, but it's still too light.

When I get rich and famous I may have a heavier barrel 'stubbed' onto an existing factory barrel stub, just to add some more weight.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
I plan on stubbing a Green Mountain 45 Colt barrel one of these days! Especially since they discontinued it from their accessory program. :(

Tonight was the first time that I was actually able to get a good rest and see what the barrel had in it. I bought it from another guy over on the Grey Beard forums and fit perfectly. I started at 50 yards with the lighter loads and produced ragged holes. I sighted it in 1-1/2" high at 50 yards and 58 grains of IMR-3031 pushing a Hornady 300 gr JHP put three shot into a 1.5" group with two holes touching each other. This was done with an old Bushnell Banner 2.5X scope. I'm sold on this one! Hopefully a white tail will wander into my stand in a couple weeks to see if 2,000 fps is going to be enough speed to penetrate that thick skin WI deer are known for... :roll: