Which two centerfire rifles would you pick

Help Support Ruger Forum:

egl52

Single-Sixer
Since the question was concerning hunting and not self-defense, I'd pick something that could serve double-duty as a small to medium big game rifle and varmint rifle; probably in 25-06. Since I love the Ruger Express rifles, I'd take one of those in 25-06 (though I understand only about a dozen or maybe less were ever made, and I've never even seen a picture of one). Then I'd pick something big enough to hunt anything in Africa but not too big to be ridiculous for elk, moose, and brown bear here in the U.S. Realistically that means something in .375, and my choice would be one of Ruger's RSM rifles in the .375 H&H, though the 2013 version of the African in .375 Ruger would be a good one too.

waterdog360

Bearcat
First one would be my M77 MarkII All Weather in .270 Win. Takes care of about everything for big game in my area.
A second would be my Hawkeye Predator in .223 Rem.
Ern

DGW1949

Hunter
RJ556 said:
This thread my not go beyond this post, but here goes. If you were limited to, God forbid, 2 centerfire rifles for all of your hunting, which rifle/cartridge combos would you pick? It does not necessarily have to be Rugers. My picks would be A Winchester M70 or Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 270 Win. with a 3x9 scope and a Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win or 35 Rem. with a receiver sight. I know these guns a very boring, but after 45 years of shooting and hunting and being a long time rifle loonie, that would be my choice. What would you choose? RJ

I'm almost with ya.
"Almost" meaning that we share a simillar mindset on hunting rifles, but I prefer a Winchester to a Marlin, and an '06 to a .270 . Still though, I'm certain that I could make do rather well with your choices too....as-have about a gazillion other hunters. :wink: .

DGW

RJ556

Buckeye
OK, I know I said "a 270 bolt and a lever gun". But I could also do well with the 2 in this pic, the RSI in 7x57 Mauser and the African in 9.3x62.

kentdep

Single-Sixer
RJ556 said:
OK, I know I said "a 270 bolt and a lever gun". But I could also do well with the 2 in this pic, the RSI in 7x57 Mauser and the African in 9.3x62.

Awsome! Love the RSI. That would be a nice carrying gun I would bet.

Jay

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
An LGS has had one of those SS 7x57 M77 RSIs on the rack for almost a year now, but it has such plain wood and a couple of handling dings that I can't bring myself to buy it.

Major T

Blackhawk
I would take the European approach, where in many countries the number of firearms is limited. First is Blaser R-93 for which I already have barrels in .22-250 and .270. I would add a 9.3 if needed. Second would be one of my tried and true .30-06s. Choices are a custom Springfield sporter, a '70 Gd III BAR, or a mid '50s custom FN Mauser. The Mauser would be the sane choice, but we are gun loonies.

My wife would keep a matched pair of Browning Safaris, a .243 & .308. Both are small ring, pencil barrel Mausers.

Daughter one would keep two Ruger No. 1s, an AH & a S-C. (.25-06 & .45-70)

Daughter two would keep two Marlins. .218 Bee and .30-30 Octagon.

Daughter three would keep prewar M 70 .270 and a .40-65 Shiloh Sharps.

Granddaughter one will keep............

I think you get the idea by now. If I can't keep them all, I will order up more grand/great grand kids.

I grew up in a WW II household that had one .single shot .22 and ammo was scarce. Perhaps that experience injured my psyche. For the ones not in the know, all US industry was geared to the war effort. Consumer goods such as guns, vehicles, tractors, tires, sugar, and gasoline ( and lots of other stuff) was either not available or rationed. You needed a ration coupon to buy a tire for example.

I have spent a lifetime gathering up a small collection of nice firearms, long and short, and I will give them to family members before I give them up completely. When I am gone, the family can dispose of them as they choose. But for now, I have them available for my use (at multiple locations to cut down on transportation and to be handy to where I would use them) either locally or at two kid's ranches. One SIL and daughter, are serious farmers and ranchers. Lots of deer! Another daughter and her husband are co owners of a smaller place which has a lodge. They are trying to make it into a quail, dove, duck, and fishing haven. Right now, we are working on the coyote and turtle population. And the deer aren't bad either.

These exercises are fun and make us think. It could happen that our numbers and choices are limited. Just remember, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE! Jack

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in .416 Ruger...

Ruger 77RLS in .358 Winchester (My wonderful wife bought it for me so it will be the LAST rifle I let go. It has become my favorite rifle in the collection)...

FergusonTO35

Hunter
For all my hunting I could actually make do with my Marlin 336T .30-30. It's equipped with a Williams 5D receiver sight and is quite accurate. You can easily load it down to .32-20 power level with light cast bullets for small game and varmints, or use full power 150 and 170 grain loads for bigger game, and anywhere in between that you choose. My 336 shoots 'em all just fine. For a second rifle I would probably choose a scoped .30'06, .338-06, or .35 Whelen for more punch and longer range work.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Stump Buster said:
Ruger 77RS in .358 Winchester (the "tweener" of the three, but my wonderful wife bought it for me so it will be the LAST rife I let go of and has to stay on the list)...

SB interesting M77RS .358. Did you add the UL stock? Is it a 19 1/4", 20", or 22" barrel? 73-XXXXX or 772-XXXXX SN? Looks like a rare configuration all around, may have started life as an RSI.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
308longdistance,

That is the way I bought it. The way I understand the story is these .358's were supposed to be RSI models, but the barrels were too long. When the factory manager knocked on Mr. Ruger's door and told him of the mis-hap, he said to throw some UL stocks on 'em and get them out of the shop. Can't remember where I heard this tale (here I think), but that's the way I remember told. If I remember correctly only about 1200 or so went out like this.

If anyone has the skinny on these, I'd be just as interested to find out.

All the Best