Which two centerfire rifles would you pick

Help Support Ruger Forum:

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Stump Buster said:
308longdistance,

That is the way I bought it. The way I understand the story is these .358's were supposed to be RSI models, but the barrels were too long. When the factory manager knocked on Mr. Ruger's door and told him of the mis-hap, he said to throw some UL stocks on 'em and get them out of the shop. Can't remember where I heard this tale (here I think), but that's the way I remember told. If I remember correctly only about 1200 or so went out like this.

If anyone has the skinny on these, I'd be just as interested to find out.

All the Best

From the 2/2010 "Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume Two" pg. 68.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
Good Info!!! Thank You....and the story I heard is plausible then (except the barrels were too fat, not too long).

I'm REALLY gonna have to keep this one then.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
3DT,

I found it on GB a few years ago and the end of the auction was either right on Valentine's Day or the day before. My Wife (then significant other) thought this particular rifle was "pretty" and said if I wanted it, I needed to place the winning bid and she'd pay for it as a Valentines gift. Later that year she said "Yes" when I asked her to marry me.......

.... and I got the better deal BOTH times. They (My Wife and this little carbine) are two of my most prized gifts in this life!!! Here we are at the end of an excellent hunt with Select Safari's in South Africa (the Ruger's maiden hunting voyage)...

My Wife, Me and the Man who made the Safari happen, My Buddy Gary!

Sorry for the slight thread detour, Hope I didn't offend the OP... just answering questions and trying to learn a few things as we go along.

All the Best,

Stump

PS - Sorry Fella's, she's an only child = No Sisters :(

RJ556

Buckeye
Pieter, the way that 30-06 of yours has been shooting lately, I see why it made your 2 rifle list! Of course, the guy behind the trigger has a lot to do with it too. great shooting!

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
I don't buy firearms anymore, so I'd have to pick from those I still have that I have not got around to selling yet.

CF: My wars years Winchester 94 30/30 (that I've had since 1955), or the '74 Ruger 77PL 270Win I bought new. I could get by just fine with the old Thirty Gun if I couldn't have both.

RF: My '85 Ruger 77/22 switch barrel 22LR/17HM2, or the Marlin 17VS 17HMR (both bought new, both dolled up). Harder call... the ammo versatility of the switch barrel or the longer range and bigger game ability of the Hummer. Since I have plenty of all three ammo's for them to last the rest of my life... even a harder pick.

Before I sold most of my firearms it would have been specialty handguns instead of rifles.... Two of my J. Henry/TC Contender's with the current SSK 375JDJ and Bullberry 17 Ackley Hornet barrels. Nothing on earth I couldn't hunt with those two.

RJ556

Buckeye
tvknight415, that's my thinking. Both up close and far out are covered. And with classic rifles that are a pleasure to hunt with. RJ

rangerbob

Buckeye
Either a M700 classic or M70 Featherweight in .280 Remington(or AI) and a M77 in 375 Ruger. Those two should handle anything, anywhere. Bob! :D

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
RJ556 said:
This thread my not go beyond this post, but here goes. If you were limited to, God forbid, 2 centerfire rifles for all of your hunting, which rifle/cartridge combos would you pick? It does not necessarily have to be Rugers. My picks would be A Winchester M70 or Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 270 Win. with a 3x9 scope and a Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win or 35 Rem. with a receiver sight. I know these guns a very boring, but after 45 years of shooting and hunting and being a long time rifle loonie, that would be my choice. What would you choose? RJ

That there is just near what I have ended up with,by design.

Ruger No.1 30-06 Good scope and also peep site alternative and Winchester 30-30 Trapper with peep

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
What a dilemma, only two rifles! This answer would probably change if asked next month. Right now it would be a .243 win and a 9.3x62. If I could have only one rifle it would be a .308Win or 30-06.

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Thank goodness I don't have to really go to just two....

But if I did .257 Roberts, and .35 Whelen, It would be very painful to leave the .280 out, but if it was just one rifle that would be it.

shoot straight and shoot often.

tvknight415

Bearcat
RJ556 said:
tvknight415, that's my thinking. Both up close and far out are covered. And with classic rifles that are a pleasure to hunt with. RJ

Well I've got this in 308 & WSM now but keep toying with the idea of changing to the others. The wsm is a fwt ss and shoots accurately enough I just feel uneasy about going to the 270 win. Then I buy a new box of ammo and think that 270 win is $10 less a box.....