What's your opinion???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not like I need another one, but been thinking on getting another handgun. I go back and forth between a Ruger 0475 the 3-3/4" 45 Colt convertible. I've got a similar gun in the 44 mag, but with the plow handle grip, rather than the Bisley. Looking at the bisley now, as I don't know if the other is available in the plow handle.

The other gun I'm considering is the Ruger 5243 also in 45 Colt convertible. This is the lighter 4-5/8" stainless model. It's a plow handle version and I like it a lot. What I really like is that it appears to be 7oz lighter. Seems like a lot but that's what it says in Rugers specs. Typo??? I don't know. I would like your opinion on each. I don't see how either is a bad thing but right now I'm leaning toward the flat top. I know it's not for the heavier loads, but I've got plenty that will handle those.

What's your opinion on each??

hittman

Staff member
I'm more of a double action guy so really no opinion on those specific guns ... EXCEPT ... if I was thinking of flattop; get an old original. Best bang for your buck is what I think.

Marlin,
I am not a Bisley Grip fan, nothing against them I just grew up with the 'Plow Handle Grip' it fits for me & I have a good point of aim with it. The Bisley gripped guns I have but I don't enjoy shooting.
IMHO

Seventy7rs

Single-Sixer
My vote is for the 5243, I got one from the early run. I love it. Handles and points like a dream, very intuitive feeling. I did not have to open the throats. Accurate with the 45 Colt cylinder, I never used the ACP cylinder. I liked it so much I bought the same gun in 44 special.

Seventy7rs

Single-Sixer
There is just something pleasing about the look of a flat top stainless gun. All Rugers should be flat tops.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have one of the new Flat Top New Model Blackhawks in .44 Special. The gun just feels more "petite" in the hand and is really good feeling. As you say, you have other Rugers for the heavy loads. I'm not a fan of the Bisley grip, nor of stainless revolvers, but take your pick.

Bob Wright

Heliman said:
Well Marlin, I have no opinion on a choice, but what's wrong with buying both? :mrgreen:

Dave if I had your money I probably would. :mrgreen: I got a little carried away so far this year. Going to be good times when we do show and tell this spring. Maybe summer, Oregon isn't going to let people go back to work, if they can keep them dependent on government. Still looking forward to a get together.

Rclark

Hunter
<state x>isn't going to let people go back to work, if they can keep them dependent on government.
Yep. We have been thinking the same thing. Never let a crisis go to waste.

Just pick one. Your the one spending the dough :) . I don't mind the Bisley grip, but prefer the plow handle. Also like my revolvers to be blued and 5 1/2" barrels if possible. I also prefer the medium frame flattops and New Vaqueros. Like the feel. That is just me though. You did ask for opinion :) .

bogus bill

Hunter
I probably am one of few that dont go ape over stainless guns although I do have what I consider, the best. A one of one hundred lew horton special 3" s&w model 66-3. Never had a blue gun rust on me anyway. I dont like the look of Rugers ideal of a birdshead grip but do like a cimmeron thunderer I have. Each to their own. I do like the combo of .45 colt and .45 acp and have it on my cimmeron thunderer. What your wanting is already made and available with the Uberti made Cimmeron.

https://i.postimg.cc/5NHNjBj9/Uberti-C-012399.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/5NvLktcT/S-W-66-3-088.jpg
https://flicense.blogspot.com/2016/01/cimarronuberti-thunderer-no-colt.html

Marlin...I can't imagine you don't have all of these already. Maybe you should double check.

Opinions? I've always got some. :shock:

Bisley grip frames. In the old days I liked them. I no longer care for them at all. That happened when my hands got big and meaty. A very personal opinion based on personal experiences. In my case, a very wide hand causes me to ride my pinky finger underneath the grip on a plow handle grip, and that works fine. On a Bisley grip, there's room enough for all my fingers, which causes my middle knuckle to get battered by the trigger guard. And in fairness, that's an issue with .44 magnum, not so much with a .45 Colt or ACP. Some folks don't experience my issues, and like the Bisley frame very much. I also think, on a snubby SA, the Bisley grip is kind've out of character, even if you otherwise like that grip style.

And deciding between a 4-5/8" or 3-3/4" ? It cannot be an either/or choice. You've gotta have both, for different reasons. I really like all my 4-5/8" Blackhawks. Some full size, some Flattop size, and some Super Blackhawk size.

But... there's always a but... just like there's always another opinion, in spite of my affection for 4-5/8" barrels, I find myself shooting my 3-3/4" models far more. A 3-3/4" Super and a 3-3/4" Birdshead New Vaquero are shot far more often by me than any of my longer Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks.

Tell ya one other darn thing. It may be blasphemy, but in a .45 revolver, the ACP version is quite incredible.

Oh how I wish you could be closer to us. Between you, and Dave, and me...We have so much stuff to share.

Wayno {Tell ya one other darn thing. It may be blasphemy, but in a .45 revolver, the ACP version is quite incredible.}

I've had several conversions, but I never seem to use the 2nd cylinder. But you've mentioned that before so thought I'd give it a try.

I wish we were closer too. That's why I'd like to see you two move to Idaho. :mrgreen:

Armybrat

Buckeye
bogus bill said:
I probably am one of few that dont go ape over stainless guns although I do have what I consider, the best. A one of one hundred lew horton special 3" s&w model 66-3. Never had a blue gun rust on me anyway. I dont like the look of Rugers ideal of a birdshead grip but do like a cimmeron thunderer I have. Each to their own. I do like the combo of .45 colt and .45 acp and have it on my cimmeron thunderer. What your wanting is already made and available with the Uberti made Cimmeron.

https://i.postimg.cc/5NHNjBj9/Uberti-C-012399.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/5NvLktcT/S-W-66-3-088.jpg
https://flicense.blogspot.com/2016/01/cimarronuberti-thunderer-no-colt.html
I like the Cimarron Thunderer birdshead better too, and already have two Ruger birdsheads myself. I would actually like one of those small frame Cimarron Lightning .38 Specials with the 3.5" barrel.

bogus bill

Hunter
They make the Thunderer in stainless too, along with a Doc Holiday shoulder rig and a dagger.
https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/doc-holliday-thunderer-combo-3-1-2-in-5859.html

"Oh how I wish you could be closer to us. Between you, and Dave, and me...We have so much stuff to share."

Dang, me too. We took a lot for granted until this current situation got our attention. I think going forward we will cherish our get together's. Next time we meet bring your decision for our viewing and discussion. I hope it is not too far in the future...

Dave

I think I've come to terms with the fact that I'm a plow handle guy, and have been for over 50 years. But there are a couple of guns that I've seen that just look right in the bisley version. The first one is that 5-1/2" Stainless 45 Colt. I've had more than a few of them and I will probably have at least one more.
The second is the 3-3/4" shorty 45 Colt conversion. My shorty is a 44 mag, but there's a reason there's 2 calibers. Because we need both of them. :mrgreen:

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
A lot of talk about preferring Bisley and plow handles. Each to his own I say!

Personally I prefer Bisley, I just like the way it feels and I shoot it better. I've got a .454 Casull 6.5" Bisley, and one that as far as I know is a one-of-a-kind - a 4 5/8" .45 Colt/.ACP convertible that I converted to Bisley. What an adventure that was! But now that I've got it, it's probably the last gun I'd let go. I've also got a Lipseys Exclusive.357/9mm Flattop that I'm thinking about converting to Bisley as well.

Own and shoot what you like!

Good shooting everyone!