What's the going rate for a KNBV-404SW 40 S&W Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sixgunz

Bearcat
As the title says....thinking of selling mine. From what I've been seeing, they aren't worth anything more than a regular Vaquero, which seems odd for a gun that numbers less than 200 made.

contender

Ruger Guru
If I recall correctly,, these guns were the "overrun" batch from the ones built for the San Diego PD. No special markings.
But,, as noted,, only about 200 made.
These are sleeper rarities.
I wouldn't sell one at regular Vaquero prices.
Advertise it here,, and put an appropriate value on it, and a collector may well appreciate owning it. But condition and the complete package make a big difference. A NIB one,, with all the correct stuff vs a fired, used, and missing box gun is a big difference.

Due to rarity, I'd put a value of $1100-$1200 on a NIB one.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I have sold four of them here in the Classifieds in the last decade for shipped prices as follows:

2015: $875
2017: $775 (box only, no papers, etc.)
5/2021: $900
7/2021: $900

In 2015 I also had one of the wood grip convertibles with the 38-40 cylinder that sold for $974 + $35 shipping in a no reserve GunBroker auction.

In my collection, I have a consecutive pair of .40 S&W single cylinder guns valued at $1100 each. Those were overruns from the San Diego County Sheriff's 125th anniversary run and I bought them new from California Police Supply in San Diego, they ran them in an ad in Shotgun News back then.

And I have a consec pair of convertibles that were two of the 134 accidently shipped with Ivorex grips valued at $1350 each. Most have wood grips but that first shipment snuck out with the white grips.

I had one of the wood cased and decorated sheriff guns but sold it locally to a former SD Sheriff deputy who could not afford one when he worked there. It was typical that the deputies could not justify the purchase on their salary, and that is why there were so many undecorated overruns. Ruger did make another run for some distributor, and then another batch of convertibles. I believe the original SD batch from 2000 were all in the 57 serial number prefix, later ones and the convertibles were made in 2001 in the 58 prefix.

Sixgunz

Bearcat
It's in very nice shape. It has been shot, but not a lot (maybe 50 rounds). IIRC, weren't a majority of these 200 or so overruns considered blemishes on the polishing and didn't make the "cut" for engraving? I have the original box, papers & shell casing. I'll post pics later on today.