What Mods to your Ruger GP100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
grumpy7159 said:
Sent mine to Cylinder and Slide in Fremont , Nebraska. They gave me a 11° crown on the muzzle, trigger job and chamfered the cylinder.

Cylinder & Slide chopped, crowned, and magnaported my SRH .480 a couple years ago. Expensive and a long turnaround time, but the work they do is exceptional.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Fiber optic sights are not for me. I had to recut the goofy odd sized dovetail in my new GP ten shot .22 so I could install a decent front sight,a marbles Patridge sight ,that is no longer made.It gives a sight picture like a standard Ruger BlackHawk. The Novak green fiber optic that came on it is about the size of a garbage can lid and getting any kind of precision using it is impossible for me. I don't shoot the speed games.accuracy is my goal.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Great thread with many good pictures and descriptions, all!
Thanks to everyone who contributed... I learn something new every time I peruse this forum.

Some time ago a member posted a picture of a custom GP done by Ahlman's. Anybody else have such work done by them? I'm thinking of having my 6" stainless "half-lugged" and the barrel sides profiled like a Match Champion.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Mine is a 6 inch stainless model. I replaced the factory Hogue grips with the old model rubber and rosewood grips because the Hogue grips didn't fit my small hands well, and because I find the Hogue grips to be ugly. Then I replaced the black front sight with the Ruger replacement model with the orange dot because I was having a hard time seeing the black sight on the black centers of the targets I was shooting. Then, wouldn't you know it, my range replaced the targets with black centers with ones with orange centers.

I shoot single action and am wondering how much benefit I would get from a trigger job. Thoughts?

Jim

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Jim, your trigger pull could be softer,crisper and without as much drag. A wolf spring kit helps with all of that. I am not saying a spring kit will be the answer to everything but I have installed 8# trigger springs and or one step below factory main springs in most of my SP,GP,RH and SRH Rugers and it helped every one of them.
I did put a lower powered main spring in my RH .45 Colt just as a test and DID get a few soft strikes with it and CCI primers. A switch to 12# spring and all is well.
It is worth a try. You can allways put the factory springs back in.
You might also look into triggershims.com. Shimming the excess play out of the hammer and hammer dog did wonders for my new GP 100 .22 lr.

TENFAN

Single-Sixer
I sent a 3 inch .38 Special off to Dave Clements and it came back with the barrel and cylinder bored out to 10mm, the barrel was slab sided which not only looks great but gets rid of all the barrel writing, and an action job. I ordered grips from Altamont and as soon as they arrive I will post some pics

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Every Ruger DA I own gets Wolff springs, triggershims.com hammer, hammer dog, and trigger shims, internal polishing on all bearing surfaces, corrected sear angle & polish, trigger plunger shim (not the part you're thinking of), maximized firing pin travel (hammer nose job), 11 degree forcing cone, corrected throats, chamfered chamber mouths, polished chambers, new grips or at least grip panels, and a touch or two here or there on anything else...

Defensive revolvers get tritium night sights or a Trijicon RMR, hunting revolvers tend to get scopes. I might bob a hammer here or there, serrate a trigger from time to time, add a little fun to the trigger guard...

What's the fun in owning a bone stock revolver?

rattlegun

Bearcat
Bought a GP100 4.2" SS in 2014. I'm a DIY gunsmith, all that was done is replace front sight with Ruger red sight and did trigger-job with shims. Kept all the factory springs in it.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Only thing I did was put a scope on mine:

GP-100a.jpg

This is my most accurate handgun I use for hunting. I shoot 180 XTP rounds through it. This target was shot at 50 yds.

2535bd22-e7e6-45e6-aeca-c1beaad5c16a_zpsmjbpzvlf.jpg

rattlegun

Bearcat
Rafsob said:
Only thing I did was put a scope on mine:

GP-100a.jpg

This is my most accurate handgun I use for hunting. I shoot 180 XTP rounds through it. This target was shot at 50 yds.

2535bd22-e7e6-45e6-aeca-c1beaad5c16a_zpsmjbpzvlf.jpg

Impressive targets and one nice gun!

GhosT

Blackhawk
Rafsob ,

Gotta agree with rattlegun...
Impressive targets and one nice gun!

180 XTP rounds at 50 yards......Guessing a deer gun?
What power is that LEUPOLD scope?

wildturk

Single-Sixer
My first GP was a 4" Police trade-in DAO. I swapped out the spurless DAO hammer for a spurred, gave it a polish and a set of Hogue Tamer grips. My 6" is factory stock other than the Hogue Tamer grip.

870hunter

Bearcat
Waiting to get rid of the cheap rear sights that come on the gp100, mines on backorder now too bad Millett is out of business they made great sights for almost any gun. I replaced the front sight with a ruger red insert as well, again it's hard to find a good replacement since Millett is gone I won't spend high dollar for just a post sight. Hope my Bowen sight doesn't take too long to get here.