What Mods to your Ruger GP100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
The GP100 is excellent right out of the box, but there are things that you can do to it to make it an absolutely awesome handgun. Here are my own modifications:

On my GP100 I made the following changes:

1. Hogue wood finger groove grip. (My review on Amazon.com is here: Amazon.com: Roger J. Buffington's review of )

2. Williams Firesights (available on Ruger's website) My review on Amazon.com is here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2VU7C5V0SHLDU/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

3. Trigger job by my trusted gunsmith.

The GP100 is pretty darned good right out of the box, but the above mods made it even better. If you want to do a quick improvement, try adding either a red-ramped front sight or the Hi Viz front sight. No gunsmith needed; you can do this in one minute. I found that swapping out the stock Ruger black front sight really helped my shooting.

IMG_0229_zps29f63285.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I changed to a nylon Hogue grip, which I was able to hand-modify to fit my grip ( I don't give a rat's butt about looks).
I added the Hogue lanyard screw.
I changed to 10lb. Wolff hammer spring and 8 lb. trigger spring.
I got the HiVis front sight set.
I did the "poor-man's trigger job", and now I have a frightingly-accurate .357 mag revolver.
Talk about inexpensive!

I sent mine to Teddy jacobson for a trigger job. Has Hougue grips with the lanyard screw. I put fiber optic sights on it but took them off and put a Wiegand base on it and attached a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. Very accurate combo with Federal 180 grain hard cast ammo.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
All I have done to mine is painted the front sight post and added custom sideplates on my grips.....
rugergp1005.jpg

Shoots well for me, I really like the GP100.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Change sights in a minute or less, if you have a metal punch to push in (not tap, just push) the release pin. If only everything was so simple, and rugged.

silverback

Blackhawk
on my 6 inch:
painted front sight
polished all internals
wolf springkit

I don't much like the finger groove grips so i stayed with the stock.
scary accuarate weapon.

now on my 4 inch redhawk i have gone through tons of different grips and it seems that the pachmayr presentation always win out. there is just something about those grips that seems to allow me to shoot better and much more comfortable. they are wide but ohhhh!!!! so nice.
i have the OEM red blade sights but they still don't show up as well as my painted ones so they will get the paint job soon.

stantheman86

Buckeye
image418.jpg

This was a beat up GP that was an auxiliary part-time police officers duty gun, I tightened up the endshake with a Power Custom yoke bearing, added an 8 lb. trigger latch spring and 9 lb hammer spring......also put on a Hogue Pau Ferro grip. The gun would not pop CCI and Rem primers though, but the DA pull is so slick I left it as it was and fugured I would just shoot Federal through it. Today I added Shively hammer shims to the sides of the hammer......guess what, DA pull got even slicker and it popped 6 rounds of CCI Blazer with nice deep primer dents when I test fired it in the backyard. I guess the hammer shims made th hammer strike more efficient and now the gun, which for formerly might set off 2 rounds per cylinder of CCI now set off all 6 in DA. Even the .002 trigger shims would not fit, I guess the trigger just happens to be fitted tightly so I am happy with it as is. Also added a Tyler shoe, I don't use this gun for any kind of defense and I just have a thing for trigger shoes.

image417.jpg

Just another used GP I got for a good price.....added a JPoint mount and a Trijicon mini dot I used when I was in Iraq. Added 10 lb trigger and mainsprings, and a Hogue Tamer grip. The grips are butt ugly IMO but they are top notch for actual shooting. This is my slickest GP, and scary accurate with that red dot. Optics will really bring out the accuracy in a good revolver. It will easily pepper a B27 at 100 yards.

image395.jpg

This is the first Ruger revolver I ever owned. Bought it in 2008, and I recently added a factory DAO hammer, 10 lb springs, and XS standard dot sights. The Hogue grips complete this gun and its a great shooter. If I could ever find a plate or pin match this would be my gun.

image336.jpg

The GP on top was a security trade in, I added the DAO hammer and Meprolight sights. Springs are factory stock, and I also added the Pachmayr grips to replace the ratty holster beat Hogues that came on it. This gun is also very slick and is one of my winter carry guns.

glockman99

Single-Sixer

I have rounded-off ALL of the sharp-edges. The trigger on this GP100 is perfect, so I didn't have to do a trigger-job on this one. I have installed a "Tru-Dot" front night-sight, but kept the stock Ruger rear sight. I have installed (altered, by me) a Hogue wood grip.

jsh

Single-Sixer
I traded a Krag sporter for my 6" GP100. Buddy had it from day one and he just didn't shoot it anymore. It is tight as a tick. Full length weigand base and a ultra dot what I use for bullseye if not the 625JM. The GP will average an easy 270 out of 300, I have shot into the 280's and a few 290's with it. Planets must have been in alignment then!

IMHO Ruger is on track with the GP 100 in 22RF. I honestly think it could keep up with a SW. The need to step back and take a better look at their rear sight on ALL of their wheel guns. The match champion is another step in a good direction. Thought they sure need to keep a close eye on cylinders and thread chokes, even if it means adding to the cost.
Jeff

22/45 Fan

Hunter
For my 4.2" I did the following:

1. Hogue Pao Ferro hardwood grips heavily modified with a sanding drum on a Dremel followed by fine sanding and polishing to remove the finger grooves (which I detest) and slim it down overall. Looks great and fits my hand wonderfully.

2. Hi-Viz red fiber optic front sight.

3. Wolff 10-pound hammer spring and 8-pound trigger return spring.

4. Wanted a Weigand no-drill Picatinny rail but he told me they don't have one for the 4.2" barrel. Maybe some day soon.

It's now a real close second to my S&W 686.

Since I have removed the scope base and returned to fiber optic sights. Plus I had some real ivory inserts made and went from Hogues to original grips with the ivory inserts.

9ieng9.jpg

This is them on a 3" GP100 I had.

jdavis

Single-Sixer
On my Royal Phoenix GP100, I installed a Wolff 10lb.hammer spring and 8 lb trigger spring. I later reinstalled the factory trigger spring because I disliked the slow trigger reset with the Wolff spring. I recently installed a HiVis front sight.

Blueduck

Bearcat
Sent off to Impact Guns for trigger job, and chambers chamfered, threw Hogue grips in trash and replaced with Altamont old style. Can't think of anything else I would want?

GhosT

Blackhawk
{Sorry for the pic quality, picture is old but still own these guns ;) }

Check out The orange insert on the front site of GP100 on the left.
It came from the Super Redhawk on the right...Interchangeable, and the scoped .44 magnum didn't need it.

Ruger_Revolvers.jpg

Also bought the WOLFF spring "kits" for all 3 revolvers......never installed/in storage,never opened :lol:

Story told many times before......
Saved up many empty cases... rotated them through the guns while dry firing each gun 1000 times over a month.

Smoothed the trigger pulls on all 3 guns better than had I sent them out to a gunsmith.
And can trust factory trigger springs to hit the primer hard enough 100% on every trigger pull.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
GhosT said:
Also bought the WOLFF spring "kits" for all 3 revolvers......never installed/in storage,never opened.......And can trust factory trigger springs to hit the primer hard enough 100% on every trigger pull.
Too bad you never tried the Wolff springs as I think you would be pleasantly surprised even with your dry-fire trigger smoothing. I've had 100% reliability in three Ruger .357 revolvers, a 3" SP-101, a 6" Gp-100 and a 4" GP-100, using the 12-pound Wolff hammer spring and 8-pound trigger return spring. In fact the 4" currently is totally reliable with the 10-pound hammer spring and will even reliably fire small RIFLE primers.

Prescut

Single-Sixer
I just picked up my GP100 from a member here in December and it already had custom items. He had the cylinder release, pins, trigger, and hammer high-polished. The small pieces gleam and really set the whole gun into new territory. I am now considering having the cylinder done as well.

The is no way a photo can show how nice the few small polished pieces makes this gun look. Jeb says they look like Gemini Customs.

Prescut
OK, I checked out Gemini Customs and they do beautiful jobs ($1500). I did not see just the pieces polished.

grumpy7159

Bearcat
Sent mine to Cylinder and Slide in Fremont , Nebraska. They gave me a 11° crown on the muzzle, trigger job and chamfered the cylinder. It is better than Ruger's Match Champion . Very accurate. I put a set of Match Champion grips on it also.