Sending sp101 to Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I will call them Monday. I was curious about one thing.
Does ruger require your receipt of purchase? I've only had the gun about a month. Have no idea where my receipt is.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I don't thinkso. Talked with a lady at Ruger couple weeks ago. I'm pretty sure she told me to register it then call them fir a return

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
No receipt necessary. Just have your serial # handy. If the gun is over 2 years old they'll have you pay the shipping.

I just sent my SP101 22 in for what is probably just a broken firing pin. $45 shipping is well worth the cost compared to buying the part, shipping and handling plus gunsmith fees if you can't do it yourself. No way I'd get that fixed for less than $45.

Edit to add: you don't need to register it

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
That must be a new policy making you pay if the gun is more than 2 years old. I've went in older Rugers and I never paid a dime. My buddy sent in his father's .357 Security Six after his dad died. At least 30 years old and easily 30,000 rounds through it, nearly all .357. That was the first .357 I shot when I was 14. Gun was a bit loose so he called Ruger and they sent him a label. Had the gun back in less than three weeks, fully rebuilt to like new condition. They even reblued it after asking his permission, and sent it back in a factory hard case. Don't cost him a penny.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Like Springfield they have GREAT customer support. More companies would do well to emulate them both.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
That must be a new policy making you pay if the gun is more than 2 years old. I've went in older Rugers and I never paid a dime. My buddy sent in his father's .357 Security Six after his dad died. At least 30 years old and easily 30,000 rounds through it, nearly all .357. That was the first .357 I shot when I was 14. Gun was a bit loose so he called Ruger and they sent him a label. Had the gun back in less than three weeks, fully rebuilt to like new condition. They even reblued it after asking his permission, and sent it back in a factory hard case. Don't cost him a penny.
I can't put a date on it but it's been the policy for a while. I've had guns shipped back free. I paid for this last one. 6-8 months ago I sent in an LCR that was free even though well over 2 years old. I played stupid about shipping, being friendly the whole time and the service rep just sent me a free shipping label to be done with me. The last lady with the SP101 wasn't having my trying to play stupid again so without pressing it too far I just paid the $45.

$45 is still cheaper than buying a part, shipping and handling with possible gunsmith fees.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I guess things have changed. I took apart a few 10/22 mags a few years ago and couldn't get the tension right on the spring. Called Ruger and fessed right up. The nice lady shipped me 4 new ones in packaging, even let me take the clear ones instead of the black ones I screwed up, and told me to keep trying on the ones I took apart and I'd get it. She was right. Got them working again plus got the free clear mags.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Gotta love Ruger customer service. I've gotten mags and other parts shipped for free. I'm always nice and when trying to get free shipping play dumb but that doesn't always work.

I bought a 357 Blackhawk used with a Leupold scope mounted. I called Ruger and told them I bought it used and would like to have the option of going back to Iron sights. They shipped me the sights for free on a used 1977 produced SA I bought in 2022!

hittman

Staff member
I bought a Ruger rifle with a broken rear site blade. Knew it was broken and didn't care.

I called Ruger with the blade and set screws part numbers and credit card in hand. Told her I wanted 2 blades and 4 set screws. She asked why I needed them. Told her I knew what I was buying, no problems. Said it looked like the previous owners pet monkey worked on it.

She giggle snorted and sent me order no charge!

Very little money involved but that wasn't the point. She did something Ruger had no obligation to do.

buckshot

Single-Sixer
No receipt necessary, no registration necessary, original owner not necessary, you've got to love Ruger!

It's been just shy of a year since my SR1911 went back to Ruger for repairs and I didn't have to pay a thing. It was all on their dime and it came back repaired along with a bit of Ruger swag.