GP100 - Talo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mg2112

Bearcat
Recently purchased a GP100 Talo - Model 1790. Love it, beautiful revolver. Can anyone recommend a set of grips? Need something
a little bit larger. Thanks
IMG_0429.jpg

hittman

Staff member
Nope, my GP has the Compacts too ….. granted, they DO look bigger than the Talo's. Maybe they're smaller than mine, I don't know.

hporter

Bearcat
Altamont came out with grips this year for the GP100 that are very similar to the ones that came on my .327 Mag 5-1/2" GP100. They are very nice in my opinion. I will probably buy more of them. I wish Ruger would sell the smooth ones that came on the .327, I believe they source them from Altamont anyway.

Here is one of my GP-100's with the new Altamont grips.

Altamont Grips.png

https://beta.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/ruger/gp100

These are the grips that I mentioned above that came on my .327.

327.png

Hebraist

Bearcat
I have the same wheelgun and it is phenomenal. Balances well, I think, for such a short barrel. The compact grips work well for my hands but then I have those carney hands that you see on people working at the fair. But that's one of the many nice things about revolvers, right? You can change them out for something that works well FOR YOU. Enjoy!

larry8

Single-Sixer
I believe the wood grips look better, but don't give you the non slip grip that the rubber grips do.

wproct

Single-Sixer
If you are going to shoot full power magnum loads and you are looking for comfort I would suggest Hogue "Tamer" grips, they handle recoil better than any other grip I have tried. If you are looking for wood grips I really like those Altamont grips that hporter has. I also like the Hogue wood grips that I have on my GP100.

Attachments

• IMG-3579.jpg
    IMG-3579.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 30

hporter

Bearcat
I have tried several of the rubber grips on my GP's. I seem to prefer the compact ones on the short barreled GP 100s.

Here is a zoomed out view of the photo above.

GP 100.png

On the upper left is the 4.25" .327 wearing the full sized factory grip. The 44 special GP 100 on the upper right has what I think is a Houge grip. It is comfortable. The Wiley Clapp and the 3" GP on the bottom are wearing the compact grips.

I can't find a photo of them, but I also tried the Ruger Match Champion wood grips that I bought from their website with one of those coupons they include in the box with a new gun purchase. They felt fine and I shot well with them, but I didn't find them aesthetically pleasing to look at. Not that it matters what they look like, but they seemed to make a good looking revolver appear awkward to me.

But to be truthful, a lot of these will be replaced with the Altamont grips over time. I prefer the full sized wood grips for my hand size.

Latest posts