What have they "done again"!?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed. I had hoped for a 1911 or a nice DA .22 and now I find I already have this pistol, but mine says Kel-Tec PF-9 on it.
Don

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
It ships with one seven-round magazine, and with a flat baseplate attached and a spare finger-rest baseplate in the box. Seven and nine-round accessory magazines will be available from Shopruger.com

Yawn

Blackhawk
jhearne said:
I knew it! I like both the LC9 and the Sig P290. However, for me, the LC9 fits my price range. I might have to get this one...I've been wanting to get a good pocketable pistol and this might push me into that realm for concealed carry.

Josh

Congrats Josh... you have been hoping for a single stack Ruger 9MM!

But as I posted somewhere else: I just dont get it!

The LC9 looks nice enough, and correct me if I am wrong, but the new LC9 is barely smaller thn the SR9c. Why not just get the SR9c? Ok, so it is 25% lighter then the SR9c... but the SR9c can be expanded to also have a full size feel. I don't know, if I was in the market for a small nine, this would not be it, 6 ounces and 1/2 and inch would not sell me on this...

And all it somes with is a soft case? I don't know... I think people will get it because it is a small 9 and has the LCP type title... but I just dont get it

Yawn

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Swampbilly said:
To anyone desiring an LCP, I believe their self-defense and defensive carry needs would be better served by the LC9.

They are a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT class of pistol .... the LCP/P3AT is a 15 ounce pocket pistol .... this gun is simply a subcompact ....
REV

+1 and I think you give up quite a bit for 6 less ounces and 1/3 of an inch thinner then the SR9c

Yawn

Blackhawk
jhearne said:
revhigh said:
Mike J said:
Unless I'm badly mistaken it would be difficult to pocket carry these guns. Depending on what kind of pants you wear you might be able to but I have a Kel Tec P11 that I believe is roughly the same size as this (IIRC it is probably about one tenth of an inch thicker) & there is no way I could pocket carry it. It would probably be a really nice IWB carry piece though.

Exactly ...... except it competes against about 10 other well-established competitors ....

As did/does the LCP and they sold a ton of them. Got a feeling the LC9 will do well.

Josh

+1

Mike J

Hunter
9x19 said:
Mike J said:
Unless I'm badly mistaken it would be difficult to pocket carry these guns. Depending on what kind of pants you wear you might be able to but I have a Kel Tec P11 that I believe is roughly the same size as this (IIRC it is probably about one tenth of an inch thicker) & there is no way I could pocket carry it. It would probably be a really nice IWB carry piece though.

I imagine the new Ruger will share the same size relationships as the innovative pistols they mimic:

KTx3.jpg

I compared their spec.'s 9x19 a Keltec P-11 is 5.6" long. The LC9 is 6"long. The P-11 is 4.3" high where the LC9 is 4.5" high, The P-11 is 1" wide where the LC9 is .9" wide. If Ruger measured the width across the safety lever there might be more advantage to the width than I am seeing. I am not saying it is impossible to pocket carry these guns. I have read posts from folks that say they pocket carry a P-11 regularly. But unless you have really big pockets I would not consider this a pocket gun.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I will have to handle one and try it next to an LCP and SR9c to decide if I want one for a summer carry gun. They did address some of the issues I have with the LCP. The LC9 at least has real sights, a last shot hold open, and a safety (hopefully meaning the trigger is more SR9c like and less LCP like). Dont know about the safety though, its only on one side and I shoot lefty.

Here are some pics comparing it next to an LCP
http://gunmart.blogspot.com/2011/01/ruger-lc9.html

Yawn

Blackhawk
Mike J said:
I compared their spec.'s 9x19 a Keltec P-11 is 5.6" long. The LC9 is 6"long. The P-11 is 4.3" high where the LC9 is 4.5" high, The P-11 is 1" wide where the LC9 is .9" wide. If Ruger measured the width across the safety lever there might be more advantage to the width than I am seeing. I am not saying it is impossible to pocket carry these guns. I have read posts from folks that say they pocket carry a P-11 regularly. But unless you have really big pockets I would not consider this a pocket gun.

+1

SR9c, 17 rounds mags and 10 round mags. ships with one of each. Can be expanded to have full size grip. Comes with a mag loader as well. Glock style trigger safety. picatinny rail and the option for a SS slide.

The new LC9 has none of this and is not that much smaller or lighter. It looked a bit bigger then the LCP... and in the game of pocket pistol, the size of the gun matters. Like someone said in another post, if they had to carry it in a IWB holster, then why not get the SR9c?

wildturk

Single-Sixer
Jeff Quinn said:
It ships with one seven-round magazine, and with a flat baseplate attached and a spare finger-rest baseplate in the box. Seven and nine-round accessory magazines will be available from Shopruger.com

Jeff, thanks for the additional info. I'm sure one of these will be an addition to my safe as soon as they are available.

Kagetora

Bearcat
I, for one, think this is a pretty cool development.

Just a couple weekends ago, I was at a gunshow with friends, and every single one of the small carry pistols I came across was chambered for .32. I much prefer 9mm, from several standpoints, not the least of which is a serious desire to minimize the different types of ammo I have to purchase and store.

Since I already own 2 Ruger 9mm's, this will be a PERFECT fit for me. I will have my full-size P89T for fun and plinking, my SR9c for colder-weather CC, and the new LC9 for warm-weather CC. Brilliant, IMO.

Thank you Ruger! :D

Seldomseen

Bearcat
I think Ruger has a winner. It is a American made lower cost competitor to the Taurus 709.

Taurus 709
Capacity 7+1
Weight 19 oz.
Barrel 3"
Length 6"
Height 4.53"
MSRP $483.00

Ruger LC9
Capacity 7+1
Weight 17.10
Barrel 3.12"
Length 6"
Height 4"
MSRP $443.00

I know I will watching the reviews closely.

Kagetora

Bearcat
Yawn said:
Why not just carry the SR9C in warm weather?

Depends on the clothing. The LC9 should be a little easier to conceal. I suppose I'll have to go hold/play with one first to really make that determination though.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Mike J said:

Agreed, I carry my P11 crossdraw in a TripleK Skeleton holster and that works very well in most weather I can wear a heavy shirt or jacket to conceal but it's NO pocket pistol. I can get it into my pocket but getting it OUT can be difficult and pretty much impossible when seated.
Want a real pocket pistol for warm weather carry, get something in the LCP class or smaller.
Sal

Mike J

Hunter
Thats what I mean Sal. I carry mine in a Hume JIT slide. One of these days I think I'm going to get a belt clip for it if I ever get around to it.

jhearne

Buckeye
Yawn said:
jhearne said:
I knew it! I like both the LC9 and the Sig P290. However, for me, the LC9 fits my price range. I might have to get this one...I've been wanting to get a good pocketable pistol and this might push me into that realm for concealed carry.

Josh

Congrats Josh... you have been hoping for a single stack Ruger 9MM!

But as I posted somewhere else: I just dont get it!

The LC9 looks nice enough, and correct me if I am wrong, but the new LC9 is barely smaller thn the SR9c. Why not just get the SR9c? Ok, so it is 25% lighter then the SR9c... but the SR9c can be expanded to also have a full size feel. I don't know, if I was in the market for a small nine, this would not be it, 6 ounces and 1/2 and inch would not sell me on this...

And all it somes with is a soft case? I don't know... I think people will get it because it is a small 9 and has the LCP type title... but I just dont get it

:lol: I have been eyeing the "pocket" (but not "pocket") 9 market for a little while now. I don't want a Kel-Tec. I'd rather have a Ruger or the Sig personally. Sure the KT would suit me fine mechanically, but I never liked it's looks, none of the KT's. Both the Sig P290 and the LC9 have some good lines that I like.

I wouldn't mind an SR9c, but I don't want to carry 28 (10+1 + 17) rounds of 9 in weight, fully loaded. I could carry the SR9c with just the 10 rounder and see 11 rounds, or see 8 with the LC9....much slimmer package with similar load. Here in TX I wear shorts in the summer (outside of work) and I could carry either, but I'd feel more comfortable I think with the LC9 with an IWB carry style.

As far as the argument about capacity and such vs safety? It's as good as the argument saying 9mm parabellum is crap compared to the .45 ACP. It's debatable yes, but you won't get anywhere. I just don't feel the need for a double stack in my instance. I could see where others wouldn't want, or find a need for one. But for me, it's easier to justify this than another SR pistol.

Josh

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yawn said:
As did/does the LCP and they sold a ton of them.

Care to define 'a ton of them' a lot more specifically ??

Doesn't sound like many to me, especially from a business plan point of view.

To be honest, you have no idea how much, if any, the LCP contributed to Ruger's profit margin, whether their sales are increasing or decreasing, or whether they're even profitable at the prices that they're selling for now, and those things are all that matter to a corporation.

REV

Cholo

Staff member
There was bound to be some disappointments and yawns The only 9mm I've ever had was a Belgium made Hi Power. I swore off 9's to this day. I still don't like a 9 for carry when a .40 can be had in just about the same package.

Everybody has their own personal preferences, me too. Nobody's opinion of what's right for them is right for the next person.

"+1 and I think you give up quite a bit for 6 less ounces and 1/3 of an inch thinner then the SR9c" Yawn

6oz and 1/3" thinner is a heck of a lot of difference IMHO. I didn't check the accuracy of your statement.

Let's compare the LC9 to a micro Kahr PM9:

LC9 vs Kahr PM9

Barrel length: 3.12"/3"
Mag Capacity: 7/6 and 7
OAL: 6"/5.3"
Height: 4.5"/4" (with 6rd mag)
Slide width: .90/.90
Weight with mag: 17.10/15.9

MSRP: $443/$837 :shock:

Like it or not, Ruger hit it out of the ballpark and will sell a godzillion of them. I'm not jumping on the bandwagon and regressing from a .40 to a 9. I don't care how many competitors it has, Ruger will make a ton of $ off it and that's a good thing, a very good thing :wink:

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
Seldomseen said:
I think Ruger has a winner. It is a American made lower cost competitor to the Taurus 709.

Taurus 709
Capacity 7+1
Weight 19 oz.
Barrel 3"
Length 6"
Height 4.53"
MSRP $483.00

Ruger LC9
Capacity 7+1
Weight 17.10
Barrel 3.12"
Length 6"
Height 4"
MSRP $443.00

I know I will watching the reviews closely.

The Kel-Tec PF-9 also compares pretty well, lists for more than $100 cheaper and is also American made. Kel-Tec is very reliable and has fantastic lifetime customer service.

Kel-Tec PF-9
Capacity 7+1
Weight 12.7
Barrel 3.1"
Length 5.85"
Height 4.3"
MSRP $333.00

Don

Latest posts