What happened here?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmelcock

Single-Sixer
What was this clown thinking? I know it's not a Ruger, but could this be salvaged? I need a good laugh and I know I will get one posting these pics!

hack2.jpg

smithhack.jpg

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Looks like someone's attempt at a Fitz special. Not uncommon for guns from that period. Those Fitz specials got a good bit of press at that time.

BB45C

jmelcock

Single-Sixer
Could the trigger guard be fixed? If so... I think I could get this for around $100.00. If not I won't touch it.

DGW1949

Hunter
Me thinks that with the cost of repairs, parts, and a refinish these days, even $100 would be a stretch. A decent Model 10-HB can be had for much less than the cost of fixing that one.

What a waste of a nice six-gun. Well, at least he didn't Magna Port it. That, and it does have some purty grips.

DGW

jmelcock

Single-Sixer
True. How about just a weld, and use it as a truck gun? This one a little frightening though. It is a shame!

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Cutting trigger gaurds like that was common for old west gun fighters, but is very strange on a gun like that.
Guess what you got here is a fastdraw secuity gaurd specail so if you buy a gun like this you must remember to carry your one bullet in you shirt pocket.

BigJ71

Single-Sixer
bigbore45colt said:
Looks like someone's attempt at a Fitz special. BB45C

I agree.

Even at $100.00 the added cost to repair may end up making this gun more than purchasing a complete "non altered" example.

tek4260

Buckeye
For $100 I'd have to jump. I know where there are several Smiths on display that have been rolled by the guberment. The trigger guards are fine...... A bit of welding, a hammer, and a bake on finish.........

jmelcock

Single-Sixer
I'm not really even worried about how the finish looks. as long as it functions correctly.

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
Here is a link to a discussion about the Fitz modification. It sounds like some respectable gunners carried them for good reason. I would jump on that old Smith for $100.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-500231.html

Tom Richardson

Bearcat
I would be all over that revolver for $100.00.
The first Fitz gun of that type were modified as tools to do a job.
In the hands of a craftsman they were very effective.

Just because you don't like a particular modification there is no reason to demean or belittle the object, or person who had it done to their own revolver.

What kind of clowns would jump on that bandwagon?

Major T

Blackhawk
When I started my trooper career ('59,) Texas in it's infinite wisdom sent me to El Paso. We used to see a few of these in shops and on some of the veteran officers. Fitz Specials as mentioned. This one hardly qualifies as most were modified large frame Smiths and even a few large Colts. Most of them were in substantial calibers, such as .44 Special,.44-40, .45 colt, .45ACP. The latter being most popular because of low prices for WWI surplus items and Fort Bliss being local. Most were done a little smoother than the pictured example. The front of the trigger guard would be fairly flush with the frame, the hammer spur usually removed all the way, barrels shortened to 3" (+/-) and a good double action job, Many had custom grips and reshaped frames. Jordan would assuredly have been familiar with this modification, and may have had one. (His hands were almost twice the size of mine. I wear a large glove in most brands, XL in a few.) Remember, these were mostly made before there were any snub noses in powerful calibers as today. The open trigger access was thought to aid in a faster first shot. Another example of making do with what is available. Good day, Jack

41manor44

Single-Sixer
It seems to me I read years ago that a famous lawman by the name of Tom Threepersons had the front of the trigger guard cut away so he could get to the trigger quicker. Maybe this is where this person got this idea.

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

John FitzGerald was a Colt employee from around 1918 to around 1944. He was a competition and combat shooter and developed what became known as the Fitz Special or Fitz Colt. The first pistol he treated this way was a Colt Police Postitive. He shortened the existing four inch barrel to two inches, bobbed the hammer, cut off the front portion of the trigger guard, and rounded the butt.

Fitz Specials became pretty common amongst combat shooters and law enforcement officers of the day. Both large frame and small frame revolvers were modified, with the same treatment as the first Police Positive.

Here are a few photos of some Fitz Specials done by FitzGerald and others. Two Colts and a Smith.

DSCN2103.jpg

vg0f2t.jpg

2dlmdeu.jpg