Vaquero tips! Any cowboy gun wizards?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SilverCaballero

Bearcat
Howdy,
Recently I traded a nice Model 19 S&W for a Stainless OM Vaquero 45LC.. he paid me 200 in boot but once I finally got the pistol in my hands I felt uneasy about it. It looks a bit abused dispute the fact he told me she has only seen 100 rounds. But I love the western six guns and after all my years as a soldier and law enforcement I am certain they are the best choice for most any scenario. So I made the deal. After I got home I noticed some interesting solder and discoloration on the front sight post and the rifling doesn't look so sharp.
I figured I would take it to a gun smith and have a brand new barrel put on as well as any upgrades available. Is this even possible? What do you gentlemen think about the looks of it? My goal was an accurate shooter. And I would pay over 1k to any gunsmith that can make her a shiny pantie drop'n western nail driver. 😆
Sorry I don't have better photos.
C8E5DC50-B14E-4750-B1BA-13A5B616FE99.jpeg
C83C66CB-E8E2-40BC-A5D1-FE0D9415B5B3.jpeg
99D60802-A6EC-461D-8D30-58D0E283C301.jpeg
BF90F9F8-EF67-4387-BA72-E252BFAB21C2.jpeg

I'll post a better picture of the rifling tonight. I haven't shot her yet. Just got it.

Last edited:

SilverCaballero

Bearcat
First thing, check the throats in that cylinder. Ruger's are notorious for a .450-.451" throat openings. All of my Blackhawk's and Vaqueros were tight. Open to .4525 -.453" with a reamer. Big accuracy improver.
Wow, thanks Dave! Good info.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum,, AND to Single-action handguns.

First off, give that gun a good cleaning in the bore. My computer/internet is slow enough that I can't see any pics yet. But,, often,, a bore can appear worn,, when all it really needs is a good scrubbing of the LEAD,, that has accumulated in it.

Next, the front sight & the solder. GENTLY see if it's loose in any way. If not,, it may be ok.

BUT,, if the solder is weak, or the sight loose,, a POLITE call to Ruger can often get you a pre-paid shipper, for them to look it over. They may replace the barrel too if they find an issue.

daveag. has given good advice. Often,, the cylinder throats need correcting. We have a couple of members here that can easily correct this at a VERY reasonable price. Members; 2 dogs and Dougguy both offer this service. Both are very very good.
All you do is ship them the cylinder & they correct it properly & have a quick turnaround time.

SilverCaballero

Bearcat
Welcome to the Forum,, AND to Single-action handguns.

First off, give that gun a good cleaning in the bore. My computer/internet is slow enough that I can't see any pics yet. But,, often,, a bore can appear worn,, when all it really needs is a good scrubbing of the LEAD,, that has accumulated in it.

Next, the front sight & the solder. GENTLY see if it's loose in any way. If not,, it may be ok.

BUT,, if the solder is weak, or the sight loose,, a POLITE call to Ruger can often get you a pre-paid shipper, for them to look it over. They may replace the barrel too if they find an issue.

daveag. has given good advice. Often,, the cylinder throats need correcting. We have a couple of members here that can easily correct this at a VERY reasonable price. Members; 2 dogs and Dougguy both offer this service. Both are very very good.
All you do is ship them the cylinder & they correct it properly & have a quick turnaround time.
Thank you. Great information, just what I needed! I'll give it a good cleaning and stop worrying. I will also be sure to send the cylinder in.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, my internet is better in the mornings, and I can see the pictures.
Nice one for sure.

Give it a good cleaning,, and then shoot it. You may be surprised. And if you have access to a set of pin gauges,, you can check the chambers yourself. if not,, as mentioned,, the (2) members I mentioned,, can easily check things & uniform them if they are not a true .4525 size.

Enigma

Hunter
A note from personal experience. If you plan to do both the chamber throats and return the revolver to Ruger, send it back to Ruger FIRST. Otherwise they will probably replace your cylinder with the correctly sized throats. They did on one of mine.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I'd certainly deep clean the barrel and then shoot it prior to replacing it. I had a 45 Colt Bisquero that would shoot under an inch at 25 yards, out of the box as well as after about 20,000 rounds. It was my long range pistol side match gun for CAS. A set of aftermarket springs and a good polish of anything that rubbed (leaving the hammer/sear interface alone) resulted in a trigger pull of about 2 1/2 pounds. I shot handloads exclusively, and used 255 grain .452" relatively soft, flat-based cast bullets with soft lube, and 5.5-6.0 grains of Titegroup with a moderate crimp...accurate, and I never got any leading.