**Use caution dealing with OldIron13! Possible scammer!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akgrant

Bearcat
Update- after further digging, it seems that Mason Tomei is likely a stolen identity and the real guy has nothing to do with it. No shocker there, but everyone should be aware of that.

I wanted to wait to post this, giving him the benefit of the doubt, but I feel I need to make it known now, in case he is scamming and in the process of doing it to others. He responded to my ad looking for a specific rifle. I am always weary when getting replies to these and thought I had gotten enough info from him to ensure it was legit. However the communication has been sparse at best since money was sent and when he finally confirmed the rifle had been shipped he did not have a tracking number and hasn't responded to the request for which shipping company he used. All he said was that it was supposed to be delivered today. At this point I was pretty sure he was scamming and told him so, but he assured me it would be there today. Once again I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he still hasn't responded to requests for more info and I see his last activity as being in conversation with someone this morning, so I fear it is going to happen to someone else as well. I hope I am wrong and have to issue a public apology when I get a call from my FFL later today, but I had to alert everyone to the possibility.

Last edited:

gcf

Bearcat
IMHO, any legit "seller" has the obligation to provide a tracking number, & maintain communication through conclusion (buyer receipt of item) of the transaction. There is just no valid excuse not to. Even if your item shows up, he is a slacker (at best) for not doing so.

Out of curiosity, have you done a google search of his mailing address - to confirm that it is legit?

Thanks for posting this. Hope it works out for you. Either way, I wouldn't bother with a public apology.

montana outfitters

Single-Sixer
you can also use google earth with a address to see where and what he lives in................really spooks a potential crook when you can tell them about everything including house color on their street.....................................makes it easy to collect too..........................

akgrant

Bearcat
I'm not great with the internet search and destroy stuff, but here is the info he gave me. Address appears valid, though no result for the name, phone works but has a screening service (not uncommon now) email worked at the time.
Name: Mason Tomei
Venmo tag: @Mason2399
Email: [email protected]
Address: 240 W. Osborn Road, #2025,
Phoenix, AZ 85013
Phone: (520) 365-2068

akgrant

Bearcat
Yup, never had any trouble but my days of buying from forums are over now. Too bad, lot of good people, but the scammers ruin it for everyone

mikeAZ

Single-Sixer
Scam attempts, one on this forum, one on the benos forum... I was looking for a hard to find Ruger Super GP100. (Still am in 9mm). One even sent an FFL and a drivers license ( both expired) and a address. A goggle search DID show the house address but he was not listed as living there, however a female with the same last name did..(?). He claimed he was a medical Doctor but would not give his State ID #.. ONE CLUE was neither would ship FFL x FFL . Both wanted to ship themselves and EACH claimed to have done this previously. Both had low post counts on their forums. Each price was lower than current value. Neither would accept USPS money order. I was suspicious and called the expired FFL's phone #.(Use FFL EZ check) HE had renewed his FFL AND he had NO Rugers for sale AND had been HACKED, (thanked me for alerting him)... One demanded payment by "ELLE", NOTE "ELLE" is just a transfer service, has no liability for using it. This one even sent pictures of the revolver BUT I found the exact same pictures posted on the internet. I was able to see the serial #'s and they DID NOT match the #'s he sent me... BE CAREFUL FFL X FFL and call the FFL to make sure there is a firearm... Some of the scammer's are pretty smart?...

Last edited:

g5m

Blackhawk
That address is an apartment building according to google maps. Maybe you could call "The Logan at Osborn" at 855-233-0654 and ask.

Kaiser_2

Single-Sixer
Easy way to screen out all scammers: ask for a picture of the item they're selling with a piece of paper with their username, the current date and a kitchen spoon sitting beside it.

If they're legit, should be no problem.

Most of these jack wagons steal pictures from the internet and pass them off as their own.

akgrant

Bearcat
Easy way to screen out all scammers: ask for a picture of the item they're selling with a piece of paper with their username, the current date and a kitchen spoon sitting beside it.

Most of these jack wagons steal pictures from the internet and pass them off as their own.
Not so easy now, they are getting very good with photoshop/cut and paste or some other form of altering images. I did just that and he sent one, so I thought all good. But after I figured out it was a scam I had a friend who is into computer stuff look at it and he said it appeared the paper had been added in to the photo afterwards. You can just see some slight issues around the edges when you blow it up apparently

LCP22LR

Administrator
Staff member
FFL x FFL only. Call their FFL to make sure your getting a gun .. 1st. clue is they want to ship it...
I would also verify their FFL via the ATF FFL database.

TDF

Single-Sixer

I wouldn't guarantee that that would screen out "ALL" scammers. Nothing says a guy can't have the gun in question in his possession and still be a lowlife that would scam someone.

TDF

mjac

Bearcat
I posted this below in this thread:
https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/warning-scammer-among-us-simmonburg.299833/page-3#post-2995755

It has worked for me.

Broker the deal using the sellers FFL. Here how:

1) Tell the seller you and your FFL wants a copy of the sellers FFL complete with name address and phone number.
2) When you get #1, call that FFL (speak to the person who actually does the transfer and get their name) and explain what you want them to do. You want the FFL to receive a USPS MO from you, payable to seller and tell the FFL he is to turn the MO over to seller when he gives the gun to FFL for transfer/shipping. Offer to pay the FFL for his doing this on your dime. He is more likely to agree for a few extra bucks coming his way. Pay him with a separate USPS MO for the record, Get his agreement before sending funds. It's cheap insurance.
3) Go buy a USPS MO or two, if the dealer is getting paid for his trouble, take a picture of the USPS MO made out to the seller and send the picture to the seller with a note explaining he will get paid when he turns the gun over to his FFL. Or better yet call him directly.
4) If the seller balks at this arrangement the deal is off. Do not send any funds until the both the FFL and seller have agreed to your terms.
5) Take the USPS MO (both if one was going to the FFL) back to the UPSP and ask for a refund. They are obligated to give you your money back.
6) Done. You either get what you are buying or not. Yeah you might pay a bit more (broker fee if any) but you will know if the deal is legit.

The interesting thing here is I've bought numerous guns from folks here on the internet and never ever had one problem....

I will say this... I've never put in a classified that "I want to buy", I've only bought from folks selling...
Second is who I buy from.... I'm only on two gun forums... this one and the Sig forum and then I almost always buy from someone who has hundreds if not thousands of post, which by the way you can go and check on.

I've had more problems with the post office not delivering a check or money order or it taking weeks to get to a seller than anything else.