UPDATE: FIXED (with pics) Uh oh, Broke my KMK678GC (MKII)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

No problems with field stripping it OR getting it back together. Do it all the time.

My problem is that one of the "doggy ears" on the recoil spring guide rod broke off. (The part the backstrap metal rod/pin goes up through at the back of the bolt). The other one is still in tact, and I put the gun back together, and it seems to function. But I don't intend on actually using/firing it till I can get something repaired or replaced.

I mean this sucker snapped right off, clean. Has a grainy pot metal'ish look were its snapped.

Pls HELP. What do I do? Will a MKIII replacement part work?

Thanks for piece of mind from my RF family here. Just posting has helped me calm down a little. Thanks in advance for any info related to this.

hpman66

Hunter
Call Ruger(Prescott, AZ) and explanin your situation. At the least, you can order the part(should be same for all models) and at best they may send you a freebie. I don't know if there is a difference between blued and stainless on this part. This is an assembly part and you have to get the whole enchilada when you get one.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Customer Service Department
200 Ruger Road
Prescott, AZ 86301
Telephone: 928-778-6555
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm MST)
Fax: 928-541-8835

contender

Ruger Guru
An easy fix,, by calling Ruger. And I have replaced a few of them over the year that were broken just like that. In fact we bought a Liberty Standard that we shot a bit before it got a teardown. Found out it was already broken,, and the piece was nowhere in the gun.

22bond

Single-Sixer
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
How can one tell if the spring is still strong enough?

Oh it 'll work, as when its together all is "contained" in their prospective 'slots' BUT it may allow the remaining 'stub' shift over and rub, and when you are taking it apart, it may fly off, so must be carful...but no the spring itself is still the "same strength" ( power).........call Ruger , customer service and tell 'em it broke.....................they usually replace it

hpman66

Hunter
22bond":jetfhrif said:

The spring in question returns the bolt to battery after the gun has been fired. If the bolt doesn't come forward, pickup a new round off of the clip and chamber it, the spring could be weak. But there are several other things I would look at first before blaming a weak spring. If you get Ruger on the phone, this is one of the parts you might want to get a spare for. It's NOT that they break that often, but if you have a spare your pistol won't be down long IF the assembly should break and you can always order another spare assembly, for backup, in the mean time.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The MKII I recently aquired had a damaged ear on the recoil rod, I called Ruger with the serial # & they sent me one out FREE OF CHARGE..
Thier Customer service is Awesome!!

22bond

Single-Sixer
hpman66":sridbsn4 said:
22bond":sridbsn4 said:

The spring in question returns the bolt to battery after the gun has been fired. If the bolt doesn't come forward, pickup a new round off of the clip and chamber it, the spring could be weak. But there are several other things I would look at first before blaming a weak spring. If you get Ruger on the phone, this is one of the parts you might want to get a spare for. It's NOT that they break that often, but if you have a spare your pistol won't be down long IF the assembly should break and you can always order another spare assembly, for backup, in the mean time.

thanks

OK. got off the phone with Ruger this morning before work. They determined my MK 2 was manufactured in 2004 from the serial number. They charged me $7.50 for the assembly and $3.50 for the shipping. No freebies unfortunately. :(

I got the MK2 field stripped again and just waiting for the new part to get here. I'm tempted to try to shoot it with the broken part to see how well it functions but I doubt i will.

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I wonder how come some folks get parts for free & others have to pay??
I didn't pay S&H Nothing??
They were very nice & kind..

GOOD LUCK
I'd just bite the bullet & wait for the recoil spring before trying it again..

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Brownells has a MK II rebuild kit that includes all of the parts for a MKII bolt plus a new MKII magazine. It runs about $50 and is a handy item to keep around. It's hard not to like a nice MKII.

Best Regards,
ADP3

22bond

Single-Sixer
berettapistols":2m8evqp3 said:

GOOD LUCK
I'd just bite the bullet & wait for the recoil spring before trying it again..

How old is yours?
For me, they ask for serial# and then say it is new enough.
So I wonder if that has something to do w/it or who you get on the phone or how you describe the problem.

berettapistols":qpwin110 said:

GOOD LUCK
I wonder the same. They sent me a new sight blade free and I received it in three days.

UPDATE: Yay! A package from Ruger!

Well, I decided to post some pics of my fix process:

"YAY! package from Ruger!"
fixedmk21.jpg

By da_triggr, shot with iPhone 3G at 2010-04-07

"Okay lets get this started"
fixedmk22.jpg

fixedmk23.jpg

new part installed
fixedmk24.jpg

make sure the insides line-up
fixedmk25.jpg

bolt cycles correctly and gun dry fires correctly
fixedmk26.jpg

YAY, were done now!
fixedmk27.jpg

hpman66

Hunter
It looks like someone has already taken care of it for you, but almost everyone will not show their guns serial number let alone their home address(as on the envelope from Ruger). I was going to post this earlier but didn't want to draw attention to it. Hope you don't have any two legged varmints visit your house. I'm not trying to be a "stick in the mud"(please take this as friendly advice not as a flame or dis), but if your in the field hunting/plinking or in the house gunsmithing, you might wait to pop the top until everything is done. In my personal experiences, I have made too many goofs without imbibing.

oh yeah, i noticed that shortly after posting, i fixed it ASAP. Didn't have to do with the libations though :p Been working a lot and several projects going now. Scattered mind DOH!

I guess the address thing is practical, even though it will take the average person about 2 minutes to find mine, just from this post.

As for the serial number thing... I know we've has the discussion before, many times, but why would it matter unless you stole the gun from someone who happens across it... or it has been stolen?

glad you got it fixed and I suppose the Shiner Bock helped. you know there are 'rules' about these things... surely would not want to take a swig of Rem Oil by accident.

hpman66

Hunter
If, perhaps, you were to be facing a lawsuit involving the discharge of your firearm in an accident, the gunsmithing, after a few bottles of Shiner Bock, would certainly be submitted to the jury. Once it is on the internet, it's there forever. Again, this is posted with friendly advice(not with flame or dis). Any "gunsmithing" done while imbibling beverages, will certainly NOT be looked upon as good for the defense in such a case. If you don't feel safe with your own ablities, take it to a gunsmith.(You are posting your actions(gunsmithing) for A-L-L the world to see).

Latest posts