Upgraded my finger biter mk4 with red-dot and new grips.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

IMG_0845.jpeg
I bought a low profile mount and put a red dot on it. Haven't shot it yet so I am anxious to go to the range with that tiny adjusting screw driver included with the optic. Why they use a small driver not easily replaced with something from my toolbox is beyond me. I imagine I will lose it and wind up putting a small screw driver to my grinder to make a replacement.

I also put on the wood grips available from shop Ruger.com. The one for sale in CA. The version that is on some of the mk4s is not CA safe. Something about the environment. In any case I bought one of those too but prefer the larger grip in the photo I will paste here.

I have never used a red-dot optic and have been practicing at home sighting through it. At first I had a hard time finding the dot, but with a little practice I can now raise the gun and the dot appears immediately and is darn close to where intended before find tuning the aim. I thought it would have been harder to focus on the target than it was. Beats trying to focus on the front sight while getting the aim. I will see if it works as well at the range with ammo compared to the family room.

Shot through the optic:
IMG_0849.jpeg

' I can now raise the gun and the dot appears immediately'
That's basically what I do. With both eyes open, the left eye is aligning the barrel as the right eye picks up the dot.

contender

Ruger Guru
I read the title,, and wondered; "Why would a MK IV be a finger biter?"

I have several red dots on guns & enjoy the heck out of them. It does teach you to get a proper grip for alignment. I see new to dot types often seem to point the muzzle upwards at first. Once they realize what they are doing,, they go "Oh!"

And the grips,, I always say get a set that fits YOUR hands. Everybody's got a different "feel" when it comes to fitting a handgun. Those look just fine.

The ring for the bolt. I know some folks have a harder time grasping the ears of the bolt,, but I PERSONALLY don't have the need. Your gun, your needs!

I read the title,, and wondered; "Why would a MK IV be a finger biter?"

I call it my finger biter because I have a grip that comes from shooting revolvers. At 62, I bought my first gun - a Mk4. Very early on, my left thumb lost a chunk during a session at the range. Being on blood thinners and slow to heal, it was quite the hassle. All healed up now. It was pinched between the cycling bolt and the take - down button.

I guess pinching your finger when new to a semi auto is less embarrassing than breaking your teeth on the bolt during cycling.

The ring for the bolt. I know some folks have a harder time grasping the ears of the bolt,, but I PERSONALLY don't have the need. Your gun, your needs!

Regarding the ears, I had no problem either but my daughter had a little difficulty with them. Bought the ring for her ease and love it myself. Same with the magazine loading tools. I had no problem holding the button down and feeding them but my daughter did. I am 50/50 on the loading tool. If it is handy I will use it, but I won't dig in my bag for it. My daughter will, and once she picks it out of the bag I will use it.

That's basically what I do. With both eyes open, the left eye is aligning the barrel as the right eye picks up the dot.
I was worried that being a one-eyed target aimer for forever, I would have a hard time adapting. I did not. I am left eye dominant and find the dot almost instantly when raising the gun and gladly very near the aiming point. Never having used a red-dot, I am having fun seeing the effect of brightness on the dot size and have learned that even the larger reticles are still fairly small. It's a mini-heads up display, not unlike the one on my Jeep.

I am anxious to go to the range and sight it in.

Latest posts