My first OM Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Is a disaster! Found this at a small gun show this morning and in haste, bought it without inspecting closely. It's been converted, the front sight has been modified, and they did some crown work for some reason?
I'll likely have it re crowned, add a front sight from Fermin Garza and maybe try and find a magnum cylinder for it. Hell who knows, maybe just a total makeover/ custom job from Bobby Tyler 😎

Attachments

• IMG_1858.jpeg
    IMG_1858.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1856.jpeg
    IMG_1856.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_1855.jpeg
    IMG_1855.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 120
Does look a little short, doesn't it? Too long for a 4-5/8" and too short for a 5-1/2".

You say it's a .22 magnum. Is that based on the cylinder? The frame is not marked as a "magnum only" gun, which would have been a 6-1/2" gun.

Whatever, it's not bad for the price. If you could afford Bobby's attention, it'd be superb. :)

A different way of looking at it: you've got a "nice shooter."

The .22WMR chambering is the biggest drawback, for me- $$$ for plinking. Still, .22LR cylinders come up regularly. Now it's a scavenger hunt!

It can be "unconverted," the parts show up from time to time.

The front sight isn't "correct," but if it shoots where you're pointing it…

The crown? You can't see it, when you're shooting! 😂

Just like flatgate used to say when folks (like me!) complained about the "Ruger paragraph" warning on the barrel… "I just look at the other side."

Bobby Tyler could certainly turn that into something slick… if that's what you want to put $$$ into. I just wouldn't be in a hurry to put "good money after bad." Lots of nice donor guns, out there!

99.9% of folks at a public range wouldn't notice all of the "discrepancies." Heck, 95% probably wouldn't notice any of the discrepancies! 😂

Sometimes things aren't what they first appear. Live and learn… 👍

Hankus

Blackhawk
Unfortunately Mr. Tyler isn't accepting any new work … he keeps his staff busy turning out turnkey customs. I have a Bisley Vaquero I want dressed up and still haven't gotten around finding someone to do the work.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, as noted,, the front sight needs attention. Fermin can help there.
And as mentioned,, the OM parts can be had for (usually) around $100 or so.
A spare .22 LR cylinder can also be rounded up with a bit of searching.

Other than that,, looks like a fine shooter,, that someone else has made it that way.

El Guapo

Bearcat
You can find plenty of barrels and cylinders on e-bay. I'd be more concerned about the conversion. Then again, plenty of hammers and triggers available, too.

Star43

Blackhawk
A different way of looking at it: you've got a "nice shooter."

The .22WMR chambering is the biggest drawback, for me- $$$ for plinking. Still, .22LR cylinders come up regularly. Now it's a scavenger hunt!
Uncle Howie's perspective and post kind of nailed it. How many people worry about things that 99% of the people at a range or whatever wouldn't even notice at all !! 👍👍

Unfortunately Mr. Tyler isn't accepting any new work … he keeps his staff busy turning out turnkey customs. I have a Bisley Vaquero I want dressed up and still haven't gotten around finding someone to do the work.
I caught up with him at the Fort Worth gun show when he wasn't taking any new work and well, my first custom was born. My flat top .44 Special.

Attachments

• IMG_8669.jpeg
    IMG_8669.jpeg
    432.2 KB · Views: 36

edm1

Single-Sixer
I picked up a super single six a few months ago for $275 on gunsinternational. It had been converted. That's how I became aware of how to tell by the trigger. I can see yours has the new trigger by the taper....I paid for a kit and Rugerguy fixed me up so I have a 4 click shooter single six for $375 now. Only have the LR cylinder. I'm very happy with mine. Shoots better than I can aim.

Latest posts