Too long barrel!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rkey

Bearcat
I have a super blackhawk 44 with a 10.5 barrel. I desperately want a shorter barrel. The sights are different than my other blackhawk, target type I think. Does this model have a specific name? Any suggestions for a replacement barrel? Ruger won't sell me a shorter barrel.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Rkey,

Welcome to the forum.

This issue comes up often.

Ruger has never and will not sell frames, barrels, or cyls. There of reports of them changing barrels for you if it's a standard length they still currently produce your model with. But you'll have $100 just in the shipping to Ruger and back and about another $150 for the barrel and labor.

A wiser financial choice is buying a used barrel from Gunbroker or ebay and have it installed by a local gunsmith.

But the best advice is usually to trade off your gun and get the configuration you want. SBHs are for sale everywhere and especially like new used examples.

Jason280_2

Single-Sixer
As mentioned, simply sell/trade the 10.5" SBH and get what you want. Just to be curious, what barrel length are you after?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Another thought to the excellent info above. SOME of the Supers with a 10.5 inch barrel are a bit desirable for some shooters & collectors. Your variation may be "wanted" by someone. It'd be easy to work up a sale or a trade.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
Personally, a 10.5" SBH on on my short list of revolvers I still want (as opposed to have). If I didn't cherish each one I do have, I'd be up for a trade - but the shortest .44 mag I have is a 7.5". Someone will want yours, be sure of it.

hesco

Bearcat
Sounds like you have the bull barrel, have one just like it, the other variation is a tapered 10 barrel with conventional ramped sight.

Rkey

Bearcat
Jason280_2 said:
As mentioned, simply sell/trade the 10.5" SBH and get what you want. Just to be curious, what barrel length are you after?
7.5"
I didn't buy this gun it was a gun show trade years ago for something I didn't want but I thought at the time the extra bbl wouldn't matter. Years later I find it a bit long.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Have you shot that 10.5 incher yet? They are very accurate and a great 100 yard gun. If $$$ permits it would be a nice pair if you picked up a 7.5 incher to go with it and keep that long barrel! Although impractical for a one and only gun--they are a blast to shoot!

Ron

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Be aware of the fact that if you do decide to re-barrel the gun, it most likely will have a longer ejector rod housing, longer than other Blackhawks.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Good point BOB! Yes, it has the 5" housing/ejector rod. Ok for a 7/1/2" barrel, would have to be shortened a 1/4", (a simple process), for a 5 1/2" barrel, and would need a new retaining screw hole drilled and tapped with either barrel. But will provide a nice long stroke for pushing out those long 44 Mag cases.

Would need replacing with a 4" hsg/rod or a lot of shortening for shorter barrels, but not a new screw hole.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Another option--and rather easy if it is a stainless super--is to have the barrel shortened to the end of the existing 5 inch ejector. I have seen them done this way and they look very nice in my opinion. A unique and good look.

ron

Zeus

Blackhawk
Find a new gun :)
The 10.5" guns, I've never seen a single one that wasn't an amazing shooter. Would be terrible to chop it off. Tons of shorter ones out there for the taking.