Three screw prices going crazy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
A few years ago, I sold my 3-screw, 4 5/8, 41 Mag., ser.#900 for $900 no box.
Offered it here first, no takers so I moved it locally. I'd guess it was a 97.3% gun (i had never fired it, but bought it used). The guy who bought it shoots it regularly and it's in a good home for sure. No regrets here... Used some of the proceeds to buy a NM Bisley SS 41Mag. Win-win all around.
J.

oh well right place, way off on the info and the "pucker factor" really kicked in,,,oh well we sold a mint 1960 old model 5 digit 357 mag ';shorty" yesterday for $600,, and no one looked at the 6 1/2 inch boxed 357 same year for $950,,,go figure.....:confused:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
1679329135305.png

That's pretty close to 10757 which was the number on my folk's house where I grew up. 10738 was my friend Dave's place across the street and down a door. His mom was our cub scout den mother.

If I ever come across a Ruger numbered 10757, I'll probably buy it 👍

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
I seriously doubt the seller will get paid. The winning bidder was someone with an NR rating. I suspect they bid as a game, nothing more.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Don't be so sure about that. I have sold many guns to folks with no prior feedback, including several that sold for what I considered to be unexpectedly high prices. Admittedly, I do sweat it when one of mine sells to a NR bidder, but everybody starts out with no feedback. And in order for this guy to win, he had to outbid a guy with a feedback score of 70 who was willing to pay $2180.

Also, this particular revolver is in a narrow range of .41 Mag Blackhawks where a duplicate serial numbering error occurred and went undetected prior to shipment. So there are same-numbered pairs of guns out there with no "D" added to either. If a collector had the duplicate numbered mate, I'm sure he would pay up.

yeah, one never knows, it happened to ( for ) my wife years ago, one of her first target 22's was a "D" gun, and our friend Bill Hall was at the OGCA and found the "other" straight MATCHING number and I had to pay TOP dollar for it , was almost $200, and we had to dig DEEP.....Thank you Mr Hall :cool: :rolleyes:;)

Well, in spite of what the ad said, the .41 Mag was not introduced until 1965. So you won't find a 1960.

For 1960, your only centerfire revolver options are .357 and .44 Mag flattop Blackhawks and the .44 Mag Super Blackhawk.
I should have made my reply clearer. I'm just hoping to find a 1960. If it happened to be a .44 flattop that would be a bonus. Where can I find what was available in 1960 as far as barrel lengths?

I was doing a quick online search, and found this 1969:

It looks like it may have some moisture issues but it might be worth asking for more pictures… it is also listed as a .357 Blackhawk but that's a .44 Super unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
It is a Super, but the mahogany case is incorrect for the gun. The case is actually from around 1960 give or take. But that looks like a good deal as far as the total value since the case is worth about $450-500. Those cases often did retain moisture that caused that freckling on the barrel.

By 1960, all the barrel lengths were being made in the flattops.

It is a Super, but the mahogany case is incorrect for the gun. The case is actually from around 1960 give or take. But that looks like a good deal as far as the total value since the case is worth about $450-500. Those cases often did retain moisture that caused that freckling on the barrel.

By 1960, all the barrel lengths were being made in the flattops.
I had a 3 number Super in a wooden box. Guy wanted the number as much as the gun. The side that lay on the red lining was seriously corroded due to something in the fabric.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The side that lay on the red lining was seriously corroded due to something in the fabric.
Yup, that happens, especially in humid regions. Best to store the gun and case separately. I keep my lightly oiled cased Supers in the cases but with the gun in a thin plastic bag, and that seems to work fine. Spares the gun from moisture in the fabric and spares the fabric from the oil.