This is the idiocy that comes when people stop thinking

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/couple-says-walmart-refused-process-engagement-photo-because-they-posed-gun?fb=ptba. This is just another form of the moronic concept called "zero tolerance". "Zero tolerance" means not using one's brain and just reacting to something that makes no sense. This reminds me of reading about the child punished for biting into a pop tart and the teacher thinking it now resembled a firearm, or another child punished for wearing a shirt with a U.S. military theme because there was a rifle in the image. Shame on Walmart for being part of this nonsense.

contender

Ruger Guru
If you don't mind,, share what this link says,,, as I've had issues trying to open other links & don't do it much anymore.

Contender, apparently the story goes a couple got engaged and wanted some pictures of their engagement to be printed for a party. There was one picture of him and her. He had a Ruger shotgun open, across his shoulder. She is a pretty blonde.

Wal Mart refused to print the picture saying it promoted gang violence. This is here in Dallas. Apparently Wal Mart does not have a policy of printing pictures of people with guns, it was a new employee who didn't know better.

My view. I'm not supporting Wal Mart, however, I can see where a new employee might take this stance. It really is sort of a non issue, they (Wal Mart) did apologize and said the new employee has been spoken with. I cannot see how this relates to the zero tolerance policy many schools have.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
The problem is the new employee has been "brainwashed" all their young lives to make this knee-jerk decision.

Oh, that is a stretch. You can't say that without knowing the employee and their family...how they were raised. To say the employee is "brainwashed" is just too much.

I can imagine a new employee, worried about not making any mistakes and wanting to stick to the rules as they thought were correct. That picture the two people with a shotgun is nowhere close to gang violence.

A few years ago we had a Christmas picture and I held a shotgun. We got our pictures and cards printed at Wal-Mart...no issue.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
vito said:
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/couple-says-walmart-refused-process-engagement-photo-because-they-posed-gun?fb=ptba. This is just another form of the moronic concept called "zero tolerance". "Zero tolerance" means not using one's brain and just reacting to something that makes no sense. This reminds me of reading about the child punished for biting into a pop tart and the teacher thinking it now resembled a firearm, or another child punished for wearing a shirt with a U.S. military theme because there was a rifle in the image. Shame on Walmart for being part of this nonsense.
If you READ the story in the link you posted you will see that Wal-Mart is NOT against the photo but rather it was one employee's decision. Don't blame the employer for the actions of it's employee's misguided decision.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Here is the actual wording by Walmart on this issue taken from the article:

Walmart issued a statement in which it blamed the new employee for mishandling the situation.

"We had a new associate who was misinformed. Her actions are not consistent with our policy," the spokesperson said.
The spokesperson said Walmart is not against printing photos of its customers holding firearms.

blume357

Hawkeye
Nice retraction... it is obvious that Walmart is not against hiring idiots.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
Nice retraction... it is obvious that Walmart is not against hiring idiots.

They probably work cheaper and are okay AS LONG AS you don't let them make ANY decisions.

Kevin said:
Contender, apparently the story goes a couple got engaged and wanted some pictures of their engagement to be printed for a party. There was one picture of him and her. He had a Ruger shotgun open, across his shoulder. She is a pretty blonde.

Wal Mart refused to print the picture saying it promoted gang violence. This is here in Dallas. Apparently Wal Mart does not have a policy of printing pictures of people with guns, it was a new employee who didn't know better.

My view. I'm not supporting Wal Mart, however, I can see where a new employee might take this stance. It really is sort of a non issue, they (Wal Mart) did apologize and said the new employee has been spoken with. I cannot see how this relates to the zero tolerance policy many schools have.

Just because an employee feels that smoking is bad for you, he still has to sell you cigarettes.

Walmart still sells shotguns, so if an employee is anti-Gun, still has to sell you that shotgun.

If your pictured in a photo doing something perfectly legal, weather the employee agrees with it or not, still has to process that photo.

Multiple offenses by the same employee will look bad on their performance record.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thanks for the story.

Sheesh,,,,, there is so much mis-information about firearms, gun owners etc spread around that it gets truly sad when stuff like this happens.
I've repeated something my Dad taught me so many decades ago. "There is no problem out there that can't be understood or solved with a good honest education."
If people & especially kids in schools were taught the truth about firearms,,, to include actual direct hands on training, we'd have a LOT less stupid stuff happening.

It is stories like this that has made me dislike the mainstream media AND the public school system in general.
"Repeat the lie long enough & it becomes the truth."

blume357

Hawkeye
I got from the report that Walmart actually does have a policy of not printing 'gang' related photos.... obviously the photo in question was not.... and who knows what the employee was thinking... but I bet you anything Wally World has all kinds of rules about what pictures they will print and what they won't.

Contender hit the nail on the head with a real solution to the anti-propaganda as well as much of the stupid things people do with guns... I don't understand why it is not mandatory for our children to take a firearms safety class every year or two. I learned more in an 8 hour NRA handgun class than I had in the previous 40+ years of handling and using guns.

Latest posts