The new Ruger SR9sc

Help Support Ruger Forum:

josh2415

Bearcat
I'm in the market for a single stack 9mm, but am NOT interested in the LC9. I have an SR9c and love it. I'm a lefty and appreciate the ambi-controls, and the great trigger on the SR9c (both major drawbacks of the LC9, IMHO).

I wish Ruger would come out with an SR9sc, with IDENTICAL features as the SR9c, but single stack and slightly smaller:

same trigger as SR9c
ambi-mag release
ambi-safety
barrel = ~3"
width = 0.9"
height = 4.0"
capacity = 6+1

Please Ruger, make it happen - you would sell a TON of these!

socket462

Bearcat
The grips is already pretty narrow- I can only imagine how teeny a single stack would be. The upper would not change dimensions so it might look a bit funny!

josh2415

Bearcat
socket462 said:
The grips is already pretty narrow- I can only imagine how teeny a single stack would be. The upper would not change dimensions so it might look a bit funny!
If by upper you mean slide, I respectfully disagree that the dimensions wouldn't change. The width of most doublestack pistols is generally ~1/4" wider than equivalent singlestacks, ex S&W M&P/M&Pc 1.2", S&W Shield 0.9". I would guess the same would follow for an SR9sc vs the 1.27" wide SR9/SR9c.

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
Just curious, why do you want a single stack 9mm? The SR9c with the compact mag only holds 10 rounds, a single stack would probably only hold 7 rounds. Don't really see a point to a single stack SR9c.

As said above, I'd like to see an SR45c to compete with the XDs45.

josh2415

Bearcat
MikeyLikeCarbonFiber said:
Just curious, why do you want a single stack 9mm? The SR9c with the compact mag only holds 10 rounds, a single stack would probably only hold 7 rounds. Don't really see a point to a single stack SR9c.

As said above, I'd like to see an SR45c to compete with the XDs45.

So far, I've only pocket carried small 380s simply because they're so small, light, and easy to carry that way. If I were to carry anything bigger, I would probably want to carry a single-stack 9 in a IWB holster, and not a double-stack - thinner the better. I could see carrying a PF9, but don't like the long heavy trigger pull. That's why an SR of similar size appeals to me. Personal preference.

cluznar

Bearcat
Everyone keeps wanting smaller guns. Pretty soon they will want a 10mm with a 2 inch barrel.

I like my SR9c and carry it IWB, I think it is just the right size. If I wanted a pocket gun I would get a Kel Tec P-32.

Ruger SR9c
Bersa Thunder .32
Bersa Thunder .380

All carry guns.

VirginiaShooter

Bearcat
Howdy folks. First post here. For me personally, the thickness of the pistol is the biggest factor for how concealable it is and how comfortable it is, more so than barrel length and weight for example. I am 6'4" and 195lbs. For guys like me with a slim build and no 'padding' around the waist to help hide the gun, a thicker double stack gun will print quite a bit more through light clothing, and is less comfortable for IWB carry.

It's why I settled on an LC9 for my everyday carry gun. In my Garret Industries Silent Thunder Fusion holster, my LC9 disappears under a light summer shirt, worn at 4 o'clock. I originally carried it in a N82 Tactical holster (original elastic style) but found the holster tended to move around more than I wanted it to, due to the single clip design. With the Garret IWB, it stays put, feels more secure, and is about 90% as comfortable as the N82 holster was.

Today I shot an SR9c for the first time. It was a rental gun at the local indoor range. I have shot Glocks (gen 2 and 3), and XDs, and I am not crazy about the triggers. I didn't expect the SR9c to be much better, being a similar striker-fired pistol. I wanted to find out if all positive the talk about the SR9c trigger was true or just hype, though, so I paid to try it alongside my LC9.

I honestly was shocked at how good the trigger was and how accurate it allowed me to be on my first go with it. No take-up that I could discern, short pull and a clean break. It was better than any other factory trigger on a striker fired pistol I have ever touched. In rapid fire, I shot much better with the SR9c on this first try than I can shoot with my LC9 after more than a year of practice with it. The only annoyance was that the range had lost or sold their 10 round mag for it, and only had the 17 round w/ grip extender. But I feel pretty confident I could shoot as well with the shorter mag that I would be using for winter CCW if I had one.

Honestly, it was Love-At-First-Shoot with the SR9c. I am going to buy the first new one I can get my hands on. As for my LC9, I am seriously considering the Galloway trigger mod to get rid of the take-up and move the break point forward. For my longish fingers, the LC9 factory trigger break point is awkwardly far back. I am not unhappy enough to sell it because I love the way the gun carries IWB and I can shoot well enough with it at social-work range, but I think for a house/truck and winter CCW gun under heavier clothes, I will be using a SR9c once I buy one. Plus the SR9c was just fun as a range gun and made me feel like a better shooter. That enjoyment will probably get me to the range more often to practice with it and my LC9.

But for the original poster who wants a single stack but doesn't want an LC9, I would look at the Walther PPS as an alternative. Being a striker pistol, it will be much closer to your SR9c trigger than the LC9 or Kel-Tec Pf9. I would say look at the Kimber Solo also, except for the fact that it needs to be fed premium defense ammo to function right (per the factory reps) and doesn't seem to like standard 115g FMJ which any 9mm should be able to function well with IMHO.

Anyway, good luck on finding a single-stack 9 you like.

Ridge1976

Single-Sixer
VirginiaShooter, That was a great first post! I'll agree with you on the SR9c and the LC9. I have both. The SR9c is a pleasure to shoot and the LC9 is great for concealed carry. Actually the SR9c is also. I rotate between the two but prefer the LC9 since it's so light and slim. I've also thought about getting the Galloway trigger and hammer kit for the LC9. I think I'll wait until they have their "in house" made kits though. I really don't want to send them my hammer and trigger bar for modification.

vacextar

Blackhawk
This may not be the most popular view, but this is the way I see it. Hits on target is the only thing that counts. This is the reason that you could never, ever talk me into a DAO carry gun. I don't care if it was 10oz, chambered in 10mm, had a 20 round capacity and was the size of an LCP......if it's got a DAO trigger, everything else about the gun is pointless. I think this is probably kind of what VirginiaShooter is describing in his post above......yes, the LC9 is nice to carry, but actually USING the gun is a whole other matter. I bought my SR9c because when I saw it behind the gun counter, I thought it WAS single stack! It looks like a single stack, feels like a single stack, the grip is every bit as slim as my old Sig P230 (single stack) in .380. IMO, I have no idea why the LC9 even exists......it's so close in size and weight to the SR9c as (IMO) to be pretty much un-noticable, and with the SR9c, you get more capacity with the small mag, a 17 round backup mag, AND a trigger that you can use to get hits on target.

So what's the difference in width between the SR9c and LC9?....... 0.1"? Do you really think that's going to be the make or break difference in whether someone is going to notice if you're carrying or not? I'm to the point now where I could care less. If someone notices I'm carrying, they notice....oh well. To say that they would notice the SR9c, but if I was carrying an LC9 with the same holster set-up in the same position on my body, they wouldn't notice it?.....I think the chances of that are pretty darned slim.....and like I said, I could care less if they notice or not, so it doesn't bother me.

lefty60

Bearcat
I've pocket carried a Kahr CW40 for about 5 years now. Recently I was shopping for a 9mm and discovered that a SR9c would pocket carry just as well the CW40. And the SR holds more ammo!

I now have the SR9c as an alternate pocket carry. I am very happy with the SR9c and feel that it is a very good pistol for ccw. :D :D

TheJackal

Bearcat
VirginiaShooter, welcome to the forum. I carry the LCP at times front pocket and at other times, I carry the SR9c in a Kangaroo Holster. (They have a new one with double straps that works well. I have the single strap version as well.) Occasionally, I'll carry the SR9c IWB in the middle of my back. I suffer from the complete opposite problem you mentioned. I have way too many folds of myself so, depending on the pants I wear, the only space IWB is for the rolls I have.

I've shot a bunch of rounds through my SR9c and find it to be one of the easiest pistols to shoot well, I've ever handled. It is on par with the M&P 9 that it replaced, though I find the Ruger trigger to be better. I've put a bunch of rounds through my LCP and, for what it is, it is great. Trigger is heavy, sights essentially non existent. It performs well as a short range point and shoot and I'm sure for some better pistoliers than I, accurate at longer distance. I don't like the trigger on the LCP.

I've put a bunch of rounds through the LC9 and found the trigger very similar to the LCP. It is slightly less concealable than the SR9c but comparing the two, I'll go with the SR9c every time. I didn't care for the LC9 as it seemed so similar to the LCP and I couldn't see it as a suitable replacement or add on. I'm sticking with the SR9c in that regard. Had the LC9 been first, I'd have gone there instead of the LCP.

Until I go with something in a larger caliber, I'll stick with the LCP and SR9c for my carry weapons. With the kangaroo holster, I'll often carry both, LCP in front pocket, SR9c in kangaroo. I suppose I could carry three with the third IWB mid back. HMM, I'll have to think about that. And then, an ankle holster. . .in case the zombies come.

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
Sig p225 or P6 (same gun)

REV

Yep, I love my Sig P6! The Sig P239, which Sig's more modern single stack 9mm is a great pistol.

Another great option, if you can find one is a Smith & Wesson 3913...a fantastic SA/DA 9mm single stack in my opinion.