Target shooting problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Fredo

Bearcat
I'm 72 and brand new to firearms. I have a Security 9. I try to go to the range every week.
That being said I notice my shots are low. I'm being told that it's due to anticipation of recoil. Any idea on how to deal with that?

Bruce51

Bearcat
When I'm having the shooting low blues I just grip the frame tight and then release my little finger from the grip bottom. That seems to help.
BTW do you put your finger on the trigger guard? I usually pull the shots low when I use that hold. Good luck I can relate to being 72 it comes with age.

In any good handgun class they will have you shoot and put a dummy round somewhere in the mag or cylinder to see what you are actually doing when you pull the trigger. You'd be surprised how much you are actually flinching.. I still do but I think my muscle memory has figured out pretty much to compensate for it.... crazy.
The other thing I have learned over the years is grip and trigger finger placement is just as important..... possibly find someone with a comparable pistol with a red dot or rent one and you will be amazed how much you are moving the sight picture as you press the trigger.

"That being said I notice my shots are low. I'm being told that it's due to anticipation of recoil. Any idea on how to deal with that?"
A very common issue with 'newer' shooters. 'PUSHING' in response to expected recoil is common and not just a 'new shooter' problem. I've been known to load a snap cap or hand the shooter an unloaded gun to see if this is happening. The problem is mental and has little to do with age. Trust me on this--I'm in that 70+ age category myself.

wagwan

Bearcat
You probably already know this but "squeeze" the trigger, don't "yank" it. Squeeze when the sights are on target, stop squeezing when they drift off. This is slow to begin with but gets much faster with practice. The gun will fire, almost by surprise, when you are on-target.

FWIW: I start all new shooters with a .22 to develop good habits without worrying about recoil and flinch. My son when he started shooting, he bought a 9mm and could not shoot it well. I convinced him to put it aside for a year and shoot a .22 target pistol to learn the basics. Now he shoots both very well.

Fredo

Bearcat
In any good handgun class they will have you shoot and put a dummy round somewhere in the mag or cylinder to see what you are actually doing when you pull the trigger. You'd be surprised how much you are actually flinching.. I still do but I think my muscle memory has figured out pretty much to compensate for it.... crazy.
The other thing I have learned over the years is grip and trigger finger placement is just as important..... possibly find someone with a comparable pistol with a red dot or rent one and you will be amazed how much you are moving the sight picture as you press the trigger.
Thanks for your feedback

It's also possible, note I typed possible, that the gun is actually shooting low.
Another thing is some guns and I don't specifically know that model is how the sights are setup.
Some of the newer defensive oriented platform seem to be set for a dead center cover the bullseye
with the front dot vs. the old 6 o'clock or popsicle type of sight picture.
Somebody with a security 9 might comment about this.....

Mike J

Hunter
I have found myself at times anticipating recoil & milking the grip. That is to say my grip tightens up as I pull the trigger. Dry fire practice helps me when I find I am doing this. I have balanced a dime on my front sight & pulled the trigger many times when I was learning trigger control. Sometimes it helps to just pick something to aim at & watch the front sight trying to keep it perfectly still as the trigger breaks. When I do this I just spend about 5 minutes or so a night on it. It isn't good to do it too long at a time. If a person gets tired it is easy to start getting sloppy. I don't want to ingrain bad habits.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
A fun target you can print out that may help. ;) :ROFLMAO:

https://enoughgun.com/forum/download/file.php?id=13185

s4s4u

Hunter
You just have to learn to use your trigger finger independently of the hand. Start with a slow press, painfully slow, while aiming at the bull @ 7 yards. Keep the front sight on the bull the entire time you press the trigger. Repeat, slowly increasing speed. I got my daughter through this, and she was a tough case.

Latest posts