For anyone experiencing the LCP Max shooting low or way off - read this before sending it back to Ruger.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

poconocho

Bearcat
Disclaimer: I'm sure some people had legitimate issues with their Max but for those who the problem seems to never go away, this might help:

I saw several posts about the LCP max shooting low and it usually goes like this:

1. Person says the gun shoots way off they have been shooting for years, small guns, etc.
2. Person says they gave it to others to shoot and the same thing happened so it isnt the shooter
3. They send it back to Ruger, Ruger sends it back with barrel and/or slide replaced and a target with a 2-3" grouping at 7 yards
4. They say the gun still shoots low, go back to step 1 and repeat.

I was really concerned that this was going to be my fate, but I took the advice that others gave and really made sure it wasn't me and my shooting first.

I thought, "Hey, I've shot micro compacts before there's no way there isnt something wrong with this gun."

The truth is, this thing is absolutely tiny. The fact that I had been accurate with a P365 has no bearing on accuracy with the Max. It is a fraction of the mass and barrel length of semi automatics that used to be considered tiny.

The solution:

First, I tried one of those laser training cartridges and checked where I was really aiming. One of the advantages of those is the light lasts for a split second so you can tell if you are making jerky movements as you'll make a line.

Sure enough I found that what I thought was good was all over the place. I used a rest and really dialed in my grip and focused on stability. Sure enough, with the combat sight picture it was dead on the bulls eye.

I then brought little pillow style rest to the range and was able to get 3-4" groupings at 7 yards. Importantly there was no "shooting low" like I thought I had.

After practicing with a rest and a few magazines of 380 target ammo I realized how important it is to dial in your training if you want to be even mildly accurate with this gun. Even with a rest, if you get lazy or distracted for a second, you will be way off not a little off.

I finished off by shooting a rapid fire magazine at a clean target from 7 yards and landed the shots solidly in the middle of the target (approx 10"). Before this exercise I could barely get them on the target at 7 yards.

Hope this helps if you're having accuracy issues with the LCP max.

Have a good one!

ChongLi

Bearcat
Agreed! I'm a new shooter and this gun is a little nipping Chiwawa 😄. I've got about 500 rounds through it and quickly realized it's my handling... I can be good for a few rounds and if I lose focus for a second I'm off the paper :)

poconocho

Bearcat
Thanks for this thread. I'm considering getting either an LCP max or LCP II, I assume this would apply to an LCP II as well?
I haven't shot the LCP II but from video reviews understand there are some differences. They are similar size and weight though.

I imagine if you are accurate with one you have a good chance of being accurate with the other despite minor design improvements of the max.

s4s4u

Hunter
I have an LCP and I really have to concentrate on form to keep from hitting low/left. They are nothign like a full, or even mid size gun. I can get sloppy with the P95 or American Compact and still hit where I want, but that Elsie Pee requires your attention.

ImDrRich

Bearcat
I've put about 400 rounds through my LCP Max, and because of the size I keep my attention at full throttle. If I don't, then I'm off to the sides or wherever. Bottom line; The size and weight require a good shooter to exercise patience and attention. Those fantastic sights help a lot, too.

unodemo

Bearcat
If you have issues with the LCP series not being on target, then take a good long look at what the shooter is doing incorrectly. There are 3 things I learned about my LCP Max.

1. Trigger finger placement - The pad of the index finger should be vertically centered on the trigger.
- Not enough finger on the trigger will push the shot left.
- Too much trigger finger will heel the shot to the right.
- Too low on the trigger and the bottom of the index finger gets pinched.

2. Aiming - Use a center hold POA. The tritium capsule front sight needs to cover the POA. I personally prefer the 6 o'clock hold so I get a clear sight picture. But that isn't how the LCP series sights are regulated. I also consider the LCP series to be point shooting firearm. I don't expect to be using the sights in a stressful situation. I also expect to be firing it with the weak hand. I aim the LCP series in training to emphasize the fundamentals in points 1 and 3.

3. Breaking the shot - Pull through on the trigger. Do not anticipate the recoil by pushing forward as the shot breaks or the POI will likely be low. (what I call 'dabbing' the muzzle). Not enough grip can cause the muzzle to rise and/or the dreaded FTE 'stovepipe'.

I've run several hundred rounds of factory 90, 95 and hand loaded 100gr loads without a single stoppage or malfunction of my straight out of the box LCP Max. I finally put a little lube on it after the 500th round fired. It works. I have to do my part.

The micro gun is not inaccurate. The micro guns don't suffer a sloppy shooter. I got myself dialed in and the LCP Max shoots ragged holes. Consistency is supreme.

unodemo

Bearcat
Ditto gramps. I really like my LCP Max. It's the lil' gun that can. 🚂 Pocket micros take more work to get it right and that's an essential point many people miss and/or simply don't understand. Then there's that factory trigger. 🤦‍♂️I tried, but it simply had to go. I put the Galloway Sigurd (aluminum) trigger after writing my OP and it really woke up the Max. It's a worthwhile drop-in modification with the usual hand tools. The enlarged trigger pinky toe (if there is such a thing) stops the finger pinch when I get sloppy.

The target is after installing the Sigurd trigger on the Max and 5 rounds of Monarch 94gr FMJ. Me and the Max are gonna be just fine.

Attachments

• IMG_1303_1.jpg
    IMG_1303_1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 164
Ruger, Taurus, Glock--I see this with all of them at some level. Users tend to 'push' the little guys to compensate for the expected recoil. New shooter or experienced often makes no diff.
This is where the laser comes in to tell the tale.
I know it's frustrating for a shooter to see their hits low or low and left. They hand me the pistol and hits are generally centered. I hand it back and hits are low or low/left again. I'm certainly NOT perfect in form or function BUT I already know how things work and put considerable effort into preventing the 'push it' response.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
Micro Autos and snub revolvers are far less forgiving than larger guns

99% of people won't or can't put the time in to train with them but honestly , these are 0-10 yard defensive guns . They aren't 25 yard target pistols

My LCP is basically a shoot and scoot get off me gun. There is no scenario I can see in which I'd be actually aiming in a defensive scenario with it. Past maybe 20 yards it's challenging just to keep em all inside a silhouette and that's aiming under 0 stress at a stationary piece of paper that's not fighting back or shooting.

People stress too much about accuracy on paper with these little carry guns. They're little one hand gut busters for you to carry to go shopping or something. The red dot is there to help you feel cool . If you think you're actually going to use that dot in a fight , you're living in some tactical dream world. While you're searching for that dot , taking a two hand hold the assailant will be on top of you putting a rusty made in China knife into your neck

How far do people actually think an Average Joe like most of us is going to shoot?

"How far do people actually think an Average Joe like most of us is going to shoot?"
Good point. I don't have the facts/statistics but according to most comments, 10-20' is fairly average confrontation range FOR URBAN ENVIRONMENTS. Many of us are or may not be city dwellers and IMHO probably need to be looking for something other than a 'micro-pistol' platform. Until job demands required a smaller, more discreet package, I carried a full sized pistol (Browning HP or Ruger KP95DC). After being promoted, I found it necessary to downsize a bit. . I work in an outdoor, rural environment and therefore need more range. Currently carrying a Taurus G2C which is somewhat larger than a micro and much easier to shoot. This allows COM hits beyond 25 yards which is adequate for my purposes.
I feel this is adequate to allow me to remove myself from immediate threat and/or allow time to reach the PDW in my vehicle.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I know we can't "plan" ahead for a gun fight but we have to choose the tool for the job

For example, I have an hour commute to and from work through a varied type of areas from basically slums to open road. I keep a .44 Redhawk snub in the car because I've encountered road ragers, drunks, high people, aggressive truck drivers, people following me etc so I'd rather have something that I can do something with if a person in another vehicle starts shooting. Which is common in my area actually

If I'm going out for the day somewhere unfamiliar, I'll bite the bullet and dress around my 3" GP100 or my Beretta 92D loaded with +P in case I'm caught up in something

Just for going out in my area, an LCP is something I feel ok with, or my Glock 42, NAA .22 Mag, etc because now I'm basically carrying an " oh 💩" gun that's sole purpose is to get me out of imminent danger. If I encounter the often mentioned "Active Shooter " that people always talk about in these discussions, well I guess I'm leaving him/them for someone else to deal with because I'm not engaging with a micro .380 unless I absolutely must .

If you have time to aim, you have time to run, especially with a micro gun.

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
I shot my 9mm SP101 today, along with the P94

It was like night and day. Hitting at 20 yards with the P94 was easy, even one handed.

The SP101 is clearly a 10 yard defensive gun in double action.

20230803_160026.jpg

I've put 2000+ rounds through the SP101 and at 10 yards, I still "dip" the muzzle. Everything really has to come together for me to drop them in the X ring.
20230803_160512.jpg

Small guns with short barrels are just inherently more unforgiving of errors in technique. It's just the nature of the beast.

I know a few retired cops that carried AMT Backups as BUGs and they all pretty much think of them as close range point shooters. The LCPs and Taurus TCPs are popular now as police BUGs and basically they're emergency guns they can carry in body armor holsters to whip out in case they get disarmed. I doubt they train much if at all with them.

A DA/SA semi will easily outshoot a DA/SA revolver. Longer sight radius larger grip etc. Shooting a DAO semi would be similar. DAO means every trigger pull sucks. I'm minute of bad guy at 25 yds with my LCP and P11. I'm minute of 9 ring with my Max9.

I have been a Pocket gun (380) enthusiast since about 2008. Could not shoot them worth a darn. Still remember my very first shot with a LCP. Hurt, and almost missed the entire target. Shot went high and right. To the very edge of the target. I took it as a challenge. I started hitting the range weekly shooting them. Wore a bunch of LCP's completely out. Ruger threatened to cut me off. Later joined a Club of pocket gun shooters. We would meet weekly for training and friendly competition.
Here are some facts. These guns can do much more than those on the internet say they can or can't. Put in the time and ammo and you can do wonders with them. They are very accurate. On any given day I can RAPID fire head shots at 15 yds. They are also so under rated as a defensive weapon. They are one of the best ways to defend yourself. They can do things larger guns cannot do. They are fast, real fast to the draw.
They are not hard to shoot. It is that the learning curve is long. What can they do? Example, when walking to my car at night. I can carry my Beretta Pico in the palm of my hand and no would would ever see it. And a gun in the hand is Fast. Do not expect to do wonders right away. It takes years but once learned you will never look back.

Beretta Pico, ounce for ounce one of the finest guns ever made.

0nkRhln.jpg

The ART of Concealment. Small things can be very deadly.
uhAzvhz.png

Last edited:

Latest posts