Strange Blackhawk Problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rossa

Bearcat
A neighbor lady brought her .357 Blackhawk over for me to look at. I didn't think to notice how many frame screws it had, but she said that she has had it for several decades.
When you tried to cock the hammer, it would stop about halfway back and wouldn't go to full cock. I didn't try to use excessive force, not wanting to break anything internally.
I took off the cylinder and grip panels, and sprayed everything I could reach liberally with Gun Scrubber. Let it sit for about a half hour, then came back and sprayed again liberally with CLP.
Hammer still didn't want to fully cock. THEN I noticed something interesting by accident.
When I held the gun with the muzzle pointing straight up, it would fully cock and function every time. When I held it horizontally it wouldn't cock.
So I held it muzzle up and worked the hammer fully 20 or 30 times. Then I held it horizontally and guess what, the hammer started working! I then proceeded to work the hammer to the full cock about 60 or 70 times. Each time I let the hammer down gently. Then I dry fired it about 10 times, letting the hammer fall naturally.
It seems like it is OK now, but I'm not sure.
Could it have just been some rust or other crud from years of storage that was hanging something up and needed to be flushed out, and have the action worked to loosen everything up again?
Before anyone asks, I did not take disassemble any farther than cylinder and grip panels, as I don't consider myself qualified to do that, and I didn't want to make things any worse than they were.
Thanks in advance.

AKBman

Bearcat
Could be the plunger on the base pin, it is supposed to keep the transfer bar away from the frame so that it will clear the hammer. I have a couple Rugers that will do this if I remove the base pin and cylinder and point the pistol at the ground. I had to replace the base pin on my original Blackhawk I purchased in the 90s for this very reason.

"fixed" meaning holding it upward?? yes, that would work, BUT that is 'wrong' as AKBMan noted , my bet also is its a "new model" ( but could be an old model with the safety conversion) and in either case, the center pin 'safety plunger' is broken or installed wrong, not seated fully............plunger must push backward on the transfer bar to CLEAR the bottom edge of the firing pin :wink:

cadillo

Blackhawk
A good flushing with Gunscrubber could do a world of good for a gun that was and is dirty, and has not been used for a very long time, but it is now dry if Gunscrubber is like the cleaners I have used.

So, now that everything is loosened up, hose it out well with some good gun oil, and cycle it a while to get the oil distributed. Best of all would be a detailed strip, clean, and lube, but until you feel good about that job, a good flush with gun oil will suffice.

rossa

Bearcat
rugerguy said:
"fixed" meaning holding it upward?? yes, that would work, BUT that is 'wrong' as AKBMan noted , my bet also is its a "new model" ( but could be an old model with the safety conversion) and in either case, the center pin 'safety plunger' is broken or installed wrong, not seated fully............plunger must push backward on the transfer bar to CLEAR the bottom edge of the firing pin :wink:

No, as I said above, the hammer now works even when the gun is held horizontally, not vertically.

rossa

Bearcat
cadillo said:
A good flushing with Gunscrubber could do a world of good for a gun that was and is dirty, and has not been used for a very long time, but it is now dry if Gunscrubber is like the cleaners I have used.

So, now that everything is loosened up, hose it out well with some good gun oil, and cycle it a while to get the oil distributed. Best of all would be a detailed strip, clean, and lube, but until you feel good about that job, a good flush with gun oil will suffice.

Right. After I flushed it our with Gun Scrubber, I went back and lubed it internally with a CLP spray.
I did not intentionally clean/lube the plunger at the end of the base pin, because until now I didn't know that it existed! I will have the lady bring the gun back over, soak the plaunger end of the base pin in some solvent for awhile, then lube it and work it up and down a number of times to make sure that it isn't sticking.
I guess it could be that the plunger was stuck and just working the action so many times unstuck it.

AKBman

Bearcat
It could be it was crudded up, but I would keep an eye on it, and if it happens again, I would look into a new base pin.

AKBman

Bearcat
Indeed, I have replaced one for just this issue, and a couple got Belt Mountain base pins to improve accuracy and eliminate base pin jump.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
AKBman said:
It could be it was crudded up, but I would keep an eye on it, and if it happens again, I would look into a new base pin.
I'm bettin' that is exactly what happened.

A new base pin would be good, cheap insurance.

rossa

Bearcat
I guess I have to take off the ejector rod to get the pin out? Never done that before.
Another adventure.
Also, if I decide to put in a stronger base pin retaining spring, how hard is that to do?

AKBman

Bearcat
Not really difficult at all, use a little caution when removing the ejector rod housing, the spring may propel it, when I put mine back together, I use a little of the weakest loctite they have when I put the screw back in.

http://www.beltmountain.com/ruger.htm

wapiti22

Blackhawk
rossa said:
I was looking at the Belt Mountain, but they aren't good at answering phones or emails.
No, but they are good at making pins. I have them in all my Blackhawks.

Taking the ejector housing of is easy, just be careful of the spring. Good time to clean everything while it off. Replacing the base pin latch spring is also easy. Just make sure you put it on the same side you took the old one off from. (Don't aask how I learned this!!!)

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!