Appendix Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Daryl Licht

Bearcat
The odds of finding the right carry setup on the first try are pretty low, which is why over time you will see many comments from people about having a drawer full of holsters. It took a few tries to find what really works for me.

Know what the laws in your area are regarding printing or exposure of the firearm. Oklahoma is OK with open carry so here it's not an issue if the weapon prints or your shirt slips and the gun is exposed. I ended up working to minimize it in cases where I couldn't eliminate it. Not all states are like that though, so take that into consideration.

I can't carry appendix for the simple reason that my appendix is in the way, so I carry on the strong side somewhere between 3 and 4 o'clock depending on which gun I'm carrying. Most are kydex IWB although there are a couple of larger, heavier guns that are carried in leather pancake holsters OWB.

It might take a while to finally figure out what works best for you. Advice from people with experience is worthwhile, but I have some holsters that a lot of people said were the greatest thing ever invented, and while they might be great for those folks I hated them.

crstrode

Single-Sixer
I don't feel that there's anything unsafe about appendix carry if it's done right. It's like anything else involving guns, keep your finger off the trigger and pay attention. I've been carrying appendix for years now and have never had an issue.
Comfort was the last thing I mentioned, in any case you should know as well as I do that if you're not comfortable you're more likely to leave your gun at home, ie: the 22 or 380 in your pocket is better than the 45 you left in your safe right?
Ayoob even has a video on Appendix Carry stressing safe technique, if one is safe about it then it's no more unsafe than carrying at 4 o'clock. If appendix carry is the difference between no one seeing my pistol or carrying at 4 o'clock and having a very obvious bulge then yes I'm going to carry appendix and I would stress that anyone else in that situation do the same. I've tried different clothes, holsters, belts etc and 4 o'clock always has an obvious print for me unless I'm wearing a coat or some kind of loose button up worn unbuttoned which isn't always feasible.
Which ever position works for the OP is going to be what's best for them, but there's no reason to say it's unsafe without having all the facts. Me and my junk are like this 🤞and if I thought for one second there was a chance I could shoot myself there I wouldn't carry appendix. The main thing is taking the holster off body then reholstering then putting the entire rig back on. If you do that and are using a good kydex holster that covers the trigger then there is nothing unsafe about it. A DAO revolver would be even safer.
Mellow out, Rambo. I never said a word about appendix carry.

Taking a whiz or a dump is another reason to consider pocket carry. No worry about the gun falling to the floor or even resting on the floor while your pants are down around your ankles.

The only rule I would add if you decide to try pocket carry is that only the holstered gun should be in the pocket, absolutely nothing else. Then there is no reason to be reaching into that pocket except to put your hand on the gun and draw if needed. Some feel that a disadvantage of pocket carry is that drawing when seated is hard or impossible, but for many folks the same is true for IWB when seated. Another disadvantage, which hardly ever applies for me, is that wearing dress pants of lighter material can make pocket carry less than ideal as the weight of even a light gun will pull the pocket down. But in jeans or heavy cotton pants or shorts, pocket carry works just fine. And pocket holsters are easy to use and inexpensive.
That's why I primarily Cargo Pocket Carry my Max9. Even seated isn't an issue. It's kinda like a drop leg flap holster.

I can see the advantages of a shoulder holster, but that means wearing at least two upper garments, one for the holster to be resting against (I assume few wear a shoulder rig directly on their skin) and one to cover the holster and straps. For someone who always wears a jacket of some sort, or a vest this might work, but that doesn't include me. In the warm weather I most commonly have just a t-shirt on my upper body, and in colder weather, a t-shirt under a buttoned shirt. A shoulder holster doesn't work for either of those conditions.

For now, I'll stick to either pocket carry or OWB in the appendix to 3 o'clock position.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I can see the advantages of a shoulder holster, but that means wearing at least two upper garments, one for the holster to be resting against (I assume few wear a shoulder rig directly on their skin) and one to cover the holster and straps. For someone who always wears a jacket of some sort, or a vest this might work, but that doesn't include me. In the warm weather I most commonly have just a t-shirt on my upper body, and in colder weather, a t-shirt under a buttoned shirt. A shoulder holster doesn't work for either of those conditions.

For now, I'll stick to either pocket carry or OWB in the appendix to 3 o'clock position.
I think you've made my point about shoulder holsters and carry generally. That, while there is something to be said for consistency, it is wise to retain some flexibility on a day-to-day basis. Which is why I have more than one carry gun and more than one mode of carry for each of them. Sometimes even carrying more than one. :)

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Shoulder Carry. When you need 90+ rnds of 357sig under a light jacket.
IMG_20230823_115001964.jpg

outlaw_dogboy

Single-Sixer
I carry appendix all the time, unless I'm competing, where I carry OWB strongside.
I can hide a full-size grip under a t-shirt when using a proper holster. I always use kydex for appendix. No leather. I always very slowly and deliberately re-holster in that position. Usually, I actually remove the holster, put the pistol in the holster while the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction, then put holster and gun back in appendix position.
Carrying in a good quality kydex holster, it is as safe as any other carry position, and much easier to conceal, while still preserving a fairly quick draw from complete concealment. However, it IS much, MUCH less tolerant of sloppy gun handling.

Mike J

Hunter
I have been appendix carrying for the last year & a half or so. When I first started carrying I carried OWB at 3:30 or so. Several years later I changed to IWB at the same position. Then I went to appendix carry.
I like it because it conceals better for me than anything else I have tried. I read someone post once that if one ankle carries they don't have access when standing up. If one carries behind the hip, access is difficult when sitting in a car. If one carries in their pocket access is very difficult when seated (except maybe if you have cargo pants or some such). I believe appendix carry gives the most concealment & access. A good quality holster is necessary and as has been said care should be taken when reholstering. Of course, that is true however one chooses to carry.

Lord of Patio

Bearcat
I like the shoulder rig the best in cooler weather. When you can wear a coat up until April, May when things get warmer. Then I go to cargo pants carry. This is almost as good. Get a thigh holster and strap that on before you put your pants on and cut out the inside of the cargo pocket. Sew a small tab of Velcro on the out side of the cargo pocket flap and the other part just above the pocket flap. You pull up the flap and it stays open then. You will need a support strap that you run up the inside of your pants and attach to your belt. This works well in hot weather when all you want wear is a T-shirt and shorts (with cargo pockets).

Fredo

Bearcat
I don't feel that there's anything unsafe about appendix carry if it's done right. It's like anything else involving guns, keep your finger off the trigger and pay attention. I've been carrying appendix for years now and have never had an issue.
Comfort was the last thing I mentioned, in any case you should know as well as I do that if you're not comfortable you're more likely to leave your gun at home, ie: the 22 or 380 in your pocket is better than the 45 you left in your safe right?
Ayoob even has a video on Appendix Carry stressing safe technique, if one is safe about it then it's no more unsafe than carrying at 4 o'clock. If appendix carry is the difference between no one seeing my pistol or carrying at 4 o'clock and having a very obvious bulge then yes I'm going to carry appendix and I would stress that anyone else in that situation do the same. I've tried different clothes, holsters, belts etc and 4 o'clock always has an obvious print for me unless I'm wearing a coat or some kind of loose button up worn unbuttoned which isn't always feasible.
Which ever position works for the OP is going to be what's best for them, but there's no reason to say it's unsafe without having all the facts. Me and my junk are like this 🤞and if I thought for one second there was a chance I could shoot myself there I wouldn't carry appendix. The main thing is taking the holster off body then reholstering then putting the entire rig back on. If you do that and are using a good kydex holster that covers the trigger then there is nothing unsafe about it. A DAO revolver would be even safer.
Thanks

Lord of Patio

Bearcat
Cargo pants carry. You're welcome. Another benefit is you can sit in your car with this on and still have access to it and if you jog or need to run it does not hinder movement. You do need to run a support strap from the holster up the inside of your shorts/pants and attach that to your belt. Otherwise it will fall down to your knee.

I carry a Colt Commander. ....stainless. You are going to sweat on it in the hot humid summer time.

Last edited:
I can carry my Bond Arms, Max9 or palmetto dagger in a shoulder rig under a button up shirt over a t shirt. The only thing bigger than the above pic is my 44 mag.