SR9 How-To (Multiple Inside) - Video Links Removed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Supercharged86

Bearcat
watchdog1":1qrlppuj said:
Jherne, great post SR9 How-To. There was just one other thing that I did that cleaned up the trigger pull from being gritty. While you have the Dremel out polish the three spots of the firing pin and use a hone in the firing pin channel. I got me Flex-Hone 9mm (.354"), 400 grit, from Granger. The finer the grit the better.

When I investigated the cause of the gritty trigger I found that the firing pin channel was very rough. It looked like the milling bit that was used had some big chips in the cutting edge. These are the surfaces that have the most contact of the trigger system. If these points of contact have friction the trigger will be tough and rough.

This polishing cleaned up my trigger pull tremendously. :lol:

PM sent thanks. Steve

jhearne

Buckeye
NixieTube":168vlesh said:
I want to thank you for this detailed guide, because it really works and it's already made maintaining my gun easier and less stressful. I could have puzzled it out myself based on the exploded diagram alone, but this article really goes a lot farther and gives me the confidence to take the gun apart without breaking anything. After seeing this I also know that I will be able to get it back together again. :D

It's a real service to everyone who owns an SR9, thanks for taking the time.

Thanks Nixie, was my pleasure, bit incapacitated this week, but I can handle the simpler questions no problem...Just got home from Dallas from a pretty decent surgery. Welcome to RF.com!

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Supercharged86":2ypztbtr said:
Hi Josh,
Like so many have said before me, many thanks for all the hard work and priceless information. I know you have already spent countless hours and many late nights, but I was curious (NOT ungrateful) if video versions of the other 4 parts (especially 3, 4, 5) are in the works? Although your descriptions and pics are exceptionally orgainized and informative, there's something about watching a video that aids in comfort and confidence (with doing it yourself). I look forward to any future SR9 installments you may provide. Steve :D

Hi Steve and welcome to RF.com, they've been planned to be in the works for some time but a lack of a decent tripod and camera have been keeping things from progressing. I'm back home with my parents while I get back on my feet, especially after my surgery last week, Wednesday. I still plan on doing them soon, but I need to get back to a certain physical standpoint first. I've got some decent plans for the SR9 video wise, including some Hi-Speed footage and other various takedowns and such. Glad I could help you out, hope to back posting 100% as soon as I can, don't know when that'll be though :\.....sooner the better, already bored and I've only been home for about 30 minutes.

Josh

Supercharged86

Bearcat
Sorry Josh, didn't reallize you were under the weather. Best of luck with a speedy recovery. However, decided to take a chance today and pull out the fire control and camblock assemblies in hopes of cleaning up the trigger bar to frame clearance issues. After studying how the trigger bar moves back and forth, I realized that on my piece the trigger bar significantly rubs against the frame (no clearance whatsoever), undoubtedly causing some trigger feel issues. I've lightly sanded the frame and outboard side of the trigger bar in hopes of reducing the drag. I'll report back on the outcome. Thanks. Steve

jhearne

Buckeye
No problem at all man, that is a good thing to check too, others have found improvements there as well. Keep us updated on it.

Josh

P.Ted

Bearcat
josh,

i'm in agreement with others on this thread. thank you for posting this very helpful step by step tutorial, as well as the corresponding video.

hope you are recovering quickly and fully. can't wait for you to post a video on the full strip of the sr9. as helpful as the step by step tutorial is, some things are much easier shown than described.

here's to your health,
ted

Chortdraw

Bearcat
Great job on the SR9 Josh. This will be of good use for my Gun, I may tackle this and see what I can accomplish. Thanks for all the work you put into this

Chort

jhearne

Buckeye
Thanks P.Ted, and welcome to the forum, if you ever have any problems, be sure and start a new topic and fish for some answers. Went back to work last week on lite duty and half days, yesterday I started back full time. Doing good. As for the videos, I need to finish writing up a script for them as this will be my first attempt to voice over the actual footage and even edit the video.....really wish I had a Mac for that, but no dice.

Thanks Chortdraw, I emailed Ghost Triggers the other day and all I got back in reply was "Soon". Maybe we'll have some more goodies in time for Christmas. Feel free to email or PM me if you have any problems. I get notifications on this thread when someone posts, so I'm never too far away from a reply. (this goes for anyone reading this)

Josh

P.Ted

Bearcat
thanks josh!

glad to hear your well enough to return to work. hope you fully recover soon. yes, macs are so much easier for video editing, but that's another forum...

i've been waiting for ghost triggers to produce one for the sr9 for months, i'll be so happy when they're done.

thanks again for all your good work for the sr9 community.

p. ted

shawn mccarver

Bearcat
When reading through this material, I saw the difference in the magazines, which prompted me to wonder if the old mags with the U-shaped catch are interchangeable with the new mags with the rectangular catch.

I sent an inquiry to Ruger and they said that either early (U-shaped) or current magazine (rectangular) can be used in either variation of the 9mm SR9, (early pistol or current manufacture).

jhearne

Buckeye
The U shaped can be used in an SR9 that came with the Rectangular mags from factory, the catch in the gun is narrower. Guns that came with the U shaped mags cannot use rectangular mags UNLESS they've been retrofitted with the updated Magazine Release catch.

Any recalled gun should have the new latch as Ruger was sending the guns back with the newer "Rectangle" Mags and newer release, all new production guns had the new release anyways.

Josh

Gat0rBait

Bearcat
Just signed up after purchasing my sr9 yesterday. First gun :) i researched for about 3 months it was between this fs92, or a glock 17. Gundealer was willing to match a price that another place said "they might be able to get for but not sure".

Wanted to say thanks for the right up, plan on doing the mag disconnect mod shortly but wana get out and shoot her just as she is now.

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
Wanted to say thanks, Josh, for the guide. I had some time over the Christmas holidays, so I tackled the detail strip, removing the mag safety, and polishing the trigger system. Got the gun back together, so it is all good.

Trigger and mag release are both noticeably lighter and crisper with the mag safety removed and the polish.

BTW, not sure I see why honing the striker channel would make a difference. The striker is already cocked as part of the gun action. The striker mating surface to the trigger bar is what determines the trigger pull, not striker friction within the channel.

jhearne

Buckeye
Jumping Frog":3r3vo3ky said:
Wanted to say thanks, Josh, for the guide. I had some time over the Christmas holidays, so I tackled the detail strip, removing the mag safety, and polishing the trigger system. Got the gun back together, so it is all good.

Trigger and mag release are both noticeably lighter and crisper with the mag safety removed and the polish.

BTW, not sure I see why honing the striker channel would make a difference. The striker is already cocked as part of the gun action. The striker mating surface to the trigger bar is what determines the trigger pull, not striker friction within the channel.

Thanks guys, in regards to honing the channel, it would only help some in smoothing the pull before it breaks. When you fire the SR9, or dry-fire, the striker pulls back about 1/8" more or less, and honing could smooth that transition, but it's results would be in diminishing returns I feel. It's be something to look into if your trying to get the maximum smoothness on a trigger pull and if your wanting to go that far. Otherwise, the standard trouble spots, frame, contact/friction points are all that are necessary to polish.

I still haven't forgotten about the video, I'm in the process of finishing up a small remodel on my house so I can get it on the market this week. My apologies for how long it's been since my first one, but I do intend on covering the field strip again, frame disassembly, mag dc, magazine breakdown and maybe some other videos if someone can think of some good topics. I do go back to get an MRI sometime in January so that'll be another hold my breath moment to see if that cyst has shrunk. Glad people are still using this How-To.

Josh

1911master

Bearcat
Thank you so much for putting this together. I have work on Glocks and 1911s and this is my first SR9. I received this pistol yesterday in a trade and this evening I removed the Mag DC. So very easy with the instruction you have provided. This weekend I am going to work at taking the frame apart and polishing the pieces. Thanks again. Jim

Snookkatcher

Bearcat
Josh,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU... ad infinitum !! Your 'How-To' is incredible, and the Mag. Disconnect info is EXACTLY what I came to this Forum for to start with! ( Props to the guys on the Beartooth Bullets Shooters Forum for the referral to RugerForum! God, fellow shooters as a fraternity of like minds are bleeping amazing! Thank You!) :wink:
I'm SO glad I found you guys here. If there's any info/experience I can pass on to help other Shooters, I'll pipe up with my 'IMHO'.
Thanks! Lee

jhearne

Buckeye
Glad I could help Jim and Lee, enjoy the SR9s, pretty solid gun.

Josh

elkhunter62

Bearcat
I just got my sr9 on thursday i have been reading up on it for sometime now and sounded like just what i wanted. Im going to shoot in some comp,s and what to that you for the help on removing the disconnect safety and i put 250 rounds down range at my club and not one problem with it. It,s an awesome fire arm. cant wait to go again. and thanks again for you help :)

crusader

Bearcat
i have a SR9 that broke the striker at about 1600 rounds is that a common thing? I have sent it back to Ruger. i like the feel and features of the SR9 but am disappionted with the trigger pull

jhearne

Buckeye
@Crusader,

Some people have had the Striker break. It's not a common occurrence though. You probably didn't need to send the entire gun in for repair as you can just drop in a new Striker assembly from Ruger. But they like to do repairs in house when they can. You just lose the gun for a few days.

The trigger is something that all of us are waiting on to get better. Ghost was/is making a drop in Trigger Connector (Like for Glocks) that supposedly gets it down to about 3.5 and 5.5 lbs of pull. EGalloway (a member here) is making parts and accessories for the SR9. A new Striker Spring is on his list of parts.

Josh