SR9 How-To (Multiple Inside) - Video Links Removed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhearne

Buckeye
17 Shot":3t3esce6 said:
Find a gunsmith who knows Glocks and have a Ghost Connector installed and the sriker spring changed. It (the connector) will have to be fitted as it is not a drop in. Mine was 8.5 lbs. before the mod, now it is 3.75 lbs. It will be the best $60.00 you could spend on the gun. Also, around 800 rounds since the mod and NO failures. The gun is aproaching 6,000 rounds and I shoot it in IDPA SSP and USPSA Production. Reliable and accurate. What more could you ask for. If you need my gunsmith's name, let me know and I will get it for you. He is located in Canal Fulton, OH. :)

An old poster brought up getting a Glock replacement connector but we won't know what happened as he's no longer on this forum. I'll look into it more once my Sig is in my hands and I'm more willing to tweak this gun.

Josh

17 Shot

Bearcat
Any gunsmith who knows Glocks could do it. I am sure there is someone in Texas that works on Glocks.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Like I've mentioned a couple of times in other posts, Ghost Inc. is supposed to come out with SR9 trigger assembly parts in about a month.

-JT

jhearne":20r08iey said:
17 Shot":20r08iey said:
Find a gunsmith who knows Glocks and have a Ghost Connector installed and the sriker spring changed. It (the connector) will have to be fitted as it is not a drop in. Mine was 8.5 lbs. before the mod, now it is 3.75 lbs. It will be the best $60.00 you could spend on the gun. Also, around 800 rounds since the mod and NO failures. The gun is aproaching 6,000 rounds and I shoot it in IDPA SSP and USPSA Production. Reliable and accurate. What more could you ask for. If you need my gunsmith's name, let me know and I will get it for you. He is located in Canal Fulton, OH. :)

An old poster brought up getting a Glock replacement connector but we won't know what happened as he's no longer on this forum. I'll look into it more once my Sig is in my hands and I'm more willing to tweak this gun.

Josh

hawkeye

Bearcat
Josh,

I took the challenge today I totally broke down my SR9 following the steps in your post. Happy to report that I was able to get it apart and get it back together. It still goes click when you pull the trigger. :lol:

Getting apart was no problem at all. But getting back together took some time. After I did it once, I'd have no problem doing it again.

Bottom line is that after all the polishing and tinkering, I have a pistol I really like.

drs1457

Bearcat
Josh, thanks so much for the mag safety removal instructions. 20 minute job for me, took my time, and the pics and instructions were flawless. I've been thinking of removing the mag safety for about 4 months and only when I read your instructions was I confident enough to do it. Thanks again.

greener

Single-Sixer
Josh, thanks for the excellent instructions.

Started this morning to check the extractor and decided to go a bit farther. The mag safety removal was a snap so I decided that I'd go a bit farther and do some polishing. Other than my normal state of being a 2-thumbed klutz, everything went smoothly until I got to reinstalling the slide stop assembly (Step 11). My spring was a bit off-center of the pin hole on the slide stop. I messed around with getting it in with the end of the spring in the camblock without any success. The pin went in off-center of the slide stop and I couldn't get it to go into the hole. After quite a while of messing around with the end of he pin inside the camblock, I installed it outside and then moved the end of the pin to its proper position after getting the pin through the lever.

The polishing seems to have reduced most of the grittly, jerky feel of the trigger.

Thanks for the post.

jhearne

Buckeye
Thanks for the replies guys, I just updated the post, I've got video now! At the moment it's only a field strip of the SR9 but will expand soon after obtaining a tripod for it.

For those interested it's a Flip Video Camera, the software is contained in the camera's hard drive....and a USB connector is onboard. Plug and play was a breeze, there's a HD version of this one for sale at full price, this one was a Refurbished one I got for $81 through woot.com shipped. I dropped it about 30 minutes before the video I had posted while doing my first take.

Here's another link to the video.

Josh

gregnauman

Bearcat
My father just purchased an SR9 since he liked mine so well. When we got it we noticed two things.

1. The magazine release will not work hardly at all. About 90 percent of the time you cannot push the button in at all to get the magazine out.
Do you know how to remove this so maybe we can see why it is binding up?

2. The take down pin can only be pushed out with a ton of force from a screwdriver or something. You absolutely cannot do it with your thumb.

My SR9 was alot earlier serial number than his was and I didnt have any issues at all.

I may have him send it back to ruger if I cant resolve this stuff myself.

Thanks

Greg

greener

Single-Sixer
It seems to take a few disassemblies to get the takedown pin so it can be removed by finger pressure.

Removing the takedown pin makes the mag release much easier to operate. jhearne's instructions remove all the mystery for doing this.

Polishing the trigger bar smooths out the trigger pull and improved my accuracy with the pistol.

jhearne

Buckeye
Gregnauman, if you can hold off til this weekend I'll see about getting some good pics online, a few guys here could give you verbal instruction on how to get it apart, pretty much empty, field strip, and drive out the roll pin (#54) in the frame below the trigger guard. It should be the metal catch lever (#39) with a small spring (#38 ) behind it and once those two are out I believe the Mag Release button (#55) should slide out last. Reverse the order to re-assemble the release.

I haven't done it personally, but that looks like it should come out that way. I'll see about removing it tonight, and get back online afterwards about my results. As for smoothing out the parts, I'd assume your going to focus on the release, not the button, maybe a burr on the metal catch where it meets the mag, may be an unsmooth spot on the internal portion where it contacts the mag release button. I'll be sure and take pics of mine tonight, for a little show/tell, but I can have better pics along the lines of a direct How-To after I get back from a shooting trip Saturday. If your going to file/polish be sure and take light strokes, and not change any of the profiles machined/cast into the part(s). It's a pretty easy fix in most cases, but others have had to send the gun in for the same problem. Hope this helps, hate to see anyone send the gun in for such a minor issue.

Greener, I'm unsure as to how the Takedown Pin effects the Mag Release's operations, the two are pretty unrelative to eachother. People claiming better trigger pull after removing the Mag DC and such, it's wierd how some things unrelated can effect other things. Regardless of how it came to be, I'm glad things smoothed out.

Josh

whoknewit

Bearcat
This is my 1st post to the forum, so I might as well prove from the beginning that I'm an idiot. Here's my SR9 striker after 10 dry fires w/o a magazine. This happened b/c I shoot IDPA and didn't take Ruger's warnings seriously enough. I assume it's not supposed to look this way...:oops: Looks like I'll be buying a new striker. Thanks for the great tutorial about Mag DC removal. I've now completed that simple operation.

SR9_striker_damage.jpg

jhearne

Buckeye
Don't buy the striker just yet, that damage looks likes it's from the is from the Striker Blocker, not the Mag DC. You may have a timing issue with the Trigger Bar and Striker Blocker. You may be better off sending it out to Ruger, I would at least call them up.

Welcome to RugerForum BTW!

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Gregnauman, I haven't forgotten, I had issues with my account yesterday and now it's fixed, but today was a lost day for me this afternoon, so look for pics tomorrow.

Josh

whoknewit

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply Josh. I must admit it seemed like a lot of damage for so few dry fires. I'll give Ruger a call. I'll also let everyone here know how it turns out.

Kevin

greener

Single-Sixer
jhearne":3gynhb17 said:
Greener, I'm unsure as to how the Takedown Pin effects the Mag Release's operations, the two are pretty unrelative to eachother. People claiming better trigger pull after removing the Mag DC and such, it's wierd how some things unrelated can effect other things. Regardless of how it came to be, I'm glad things smoothed out.

Josh

I'm not sure how that does it either. Meant to say "mag disconnect."

My trigger had a gritty pull that was particularly noticeable near the end of the pull. The best way I can describe it is a continuously increasing pressure curve with some spikes and a gritty lower pressure well just before it fired. After polishing, it was a smooth pull all the way. My accuracy improved with the smoother trigger.

gregnauman

Bearcat
Funny thing is Josh, when I got my SR9 it had the older style mag release and then the new mags came out. I ordered a newer style mag release for my gun so I could use both types.

Long story short I changed my mag release on my gun over a year ago and now I cant remember how I did it. :oops:

Ill take a look at it again. I hate to send it in but I may just do that to be on the safe side.

Greg

jhearne":31nftkmd said:
Gregnauman, if you can hold off til this weekend I'll see about getting some good pics online, a few guys here could give you verbal instruction on how to get it apart, pretty much empty, field strip, and drive out the roll pin (#54) in the frame below the trigger guard. It should be the metal catch lever (#39) with a small spring (#38 ) behind it and once those two are out I believe the Mag Release button (#55) should slide out last. Reverse the order to re-assemble the release.

I haven't done it personally, but that looks like it should come out that way. I'll see about removing it tonight, and get back online afterwards about my results. As for smoothing out the parts, I'd assume your going to focus on the release, not the button, maybe a burr on the metal catch where it meets the mag, may be an unsmooth spot on the internal portion where it contacts the mag release button. I'll be sure and take pics of mine tonight, for a little show/tell, but I can have better pics along the lines of a direct How-To after I get back from a shooting trip Saturday. If your going to file/polish be sure and take light strokes, and not change any of the profiles machined/cast into the part(s). It's a pretty easy fix in most cases, but others have had to send the gun in for the same problem. Hope this helps, hate to see anyone send the gun in for such a minor issue.

Josh

Grendel

Single-Sixer
whoknewit":14bru617 said:
This is my 1st post to the forum, so I might as well prove from the beginning that I'm an idiot. Here's my SR9 striker after 10 dry fires w/o a magazine. This happened b/c I shoot IDPA and didn't take Ruger's warnings seriously enough. I assume it's not supposed to look this way...:oops: Looks like I'll be buying a new striker. Thanks for the great tutorial about Mag DC removal. I've now completed that simple operation.

SR9_striker_damage.jpg

I had a similar problem not too far back. At first, they wanted to charge me for a new striker, but I fought that and won. I had to send the entire gun back, and according to the work order included with the gun when I got it back, the striker and the barrel were replaced.

-JT

A

Anonymous

Jherne, great post SR9 How-To. There was just one other thing that I did that cleaned up the trigger pull from being gritty. While you have the Dremel out polish the three spots of the firing pin and use a hone in the firing pin channel. I got me Flex-Hone 9mm (.354"), 400 grit, from Granger. The finer the grit the better.

When I investigated the cause of the gritty trigger I found that the firing pin channel was very rough. It looked like the milling bit that was used had some big chips in the cutting edge. These are the surfaces that have the most contact of the trigger system. If these points of contact have friction the trigger will be tough and rough.

This polishing cleaned up my trigger pull tremendously. :lol:

jhearne

Buckeye
watchdog1":39qopzen said:
Jherne, great post SR9 How-To. There was just one other thing that I did that cleaned up the trigger pull from being gritty. While you have the Dremel out polish the three spots of the firing pin and use a hone in the firing pin channel. I got me Flex-Hone 9mm (.354"), 400 grit, from Granger. The finer the grit the better.

When I investigated the cause of the gritty trigger I found that the firing pin channel was very rough. It looked like the milling bit that was used had some big chips in the cutting edge. These are the surfaces that have the most contact of the trigger system. If these points of contact have friction the trigger will be tough and rough.

This polishing cleaned up my trigger pull tremendously. :lol:

Sounds like you have some experience in the machining industry, we get a few things for work from Granger ourselves. I just left the instructions so most everyone could try and tackle this in one day/afternoon. Glad it's smoothed up on the pull, it makes a good bit of difference.

Josh

whoknewit

Bearcat
jhearne":asahoccl said:
Don't buy the striker just yet, that damage looks likes it's from the is from the Striker Blocker, not the Mag DC. You may have a timing issue with the Trigger Bar and Striker Blocker. You may be better off sending it out to Ruger, I would at least call them up.

Welcome to RugerForum BTW!

Josh
SR9_striker_damage_sm.jpg

I called Ruger and they immediately asked me to send them my SR9. They emailed me a pre-paid UPS Blue Label to put on the box. Will keep you posted.
K