SR9 How-To (Multiple Inside) - Video Links Removed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Just joined after following the write up on the detail strip and polishing of the trigger and related parts. Did it last night. I also removed the Mag DC a while back. I polished it all and while it did seem to clean the rest of the trigger travel up it appears to have increased the trigger weight. Maybe cause there is more contact surface now instead of just the high spots. I'm happy though. Sent Ghost inc an email about the trigger bar for the SR9, if they aren't going to come through I may strike out on the Glock bar swap idea. Both my Glocks have a MUCH lighter trigger pull than the SR9, and they are stock. Anyways thanks for the great write up.

rjbishop

Bearcat
Grendel":1flzecpz said:
whoknewit":1flzecpz said:
This is my 1st post to the forum, so I might as well prove from the beginning that I'm an idiot. Here's my SR9 striker after 10 dry fires w/o a magazine. This happened b/c I shoot IDPA and didn't take Ruger's warnings seriously enough. I assume it's not supposed to look this way...:oops: Looks like I'll be buying a new striker. Thanks for the great tutorial about Mag DC removal. I've now completed that simple operation.

SR9_striker_damage.jpg

I had a similar problem not too far back. At first, they wanted to charge me for a new striker, but I fought that and won. I had to send the entire gun back, and according to the work order included with the gun when I got it back, the striker and the barrel were replaced.

-JT

ALL: I don't believe that is "damaged"- have you seen a brand new striker? I've never dry-fired mine, and although my striker is a blued finish- the end is machined exactly as shown above. What leads you to believe this is damage?

In any event, firing without the magazine inserted would NOT cause anything as shown in this photo- that's impossible.

jhearne

Buckeye
@rjbishop, every SR9 striker has a 2 step machined end like that, it's where it contacts the Striker Blocker. Look at where the smaller cut was made, it looks a little marred on the end of the cut furthest from the tip of the striker, that's the 'damage' we're referring to. Could have happened many ways, damage in result of a timing issue with the trigger bar/striker blocker, and it could have left Prescott like that.

Josh

whoknewit

Bearcat
SR9_striker_damage_sm.jpg

Ruger returned my SR9 today. A note from Ruger read: "Upon investigation and evaluation only normal contact marks were found on striker. Pistol functions per design and meets factory specifications."

Not much else to say. I guess it's supposed to be that way...

Burley

Bearcat
Excelent work Josh. I'm going to have to rip into my SR when reviews for the new Ghost trigger come out. Are you going to try that new part also? My SR trigger is just, well, bad. I yank on the trigger for some reason and, diapointed because I can't hit anything, kinda just quit shooting it. If I can make it smoother I'd be a lot happier with this gun. The function has been 100%, no problems there.:) Again, thanks for this and all your work.

jhearne

Buckeye
No problem Burley, whenever it comes out I'm going to get it, the trigger on my SR9 is more absurd than I thought after I put a gauge on it (almost 12#). As of today, word on the internets is that they expect an August release, it's been pushed back and back. I've got other things on my plate and other wants ATM, but that thing is on the list when it comes out.

Josh

Burley

Bearcat
Great, I'll follow this forum a bit closer and see what's up with the new parts for the SR. All in all, your posts make smoothing up the SR9 look like a snap. How hard is the firing pin channel buffing/polishing and what's needed?

jhearne

Buckeye
The firing pin channel (I'm assuming you mean the bore the Striker sits in), isn't too hard, except you have to have small enough tools, and make sure that you get any and all debris out of there (little bits can/will fly off of the buffing wheels). I just polished the contact points for the Striker Blocker/Trigger Bar and the Firing Pin/Trigger Bar spots. I only think you can smooth it up by polishing, you won't gain any trigger pull numbers from it. After my most recent trip in comparison to my first few trips with the SR9, the trigger is much more pleasant to pull, much smoother, accuracy was a bit better as well.

I'm leaving my SR9 alone until Ghost releases the connector.

Josh

woodsman1st

Bearcat
I tried to post this question in here; but it ended up elsewhere as a new topic somehow.

I have a great deal of trouble racking the slide on my SR9 due in part to the strength of the spring; but also due to my arthritic hands; which will only worsen as time marches on.

Is there a way that I can make my SR9 easier to rack the slide without voiding the warrenty, or making my SR9 less reliable? I have heard about clipping part of a coil, or even a full coil will help me rack the slide. But without some expert advice on IF this could be done without harming the reliability of the SR9, I will not try it.

Like a lot of you, I carry mine for self defense; and while I have never had one in my SR9, I am afraid that if I need to use it in an emergency, and a stove pipe jam or misfire happened, I would either fumble it or even fail completely to rack the slide just when I might need to.

I have read of this complaint from others; but I have not read of a solution yet. Is there a solution?

I would like to reccomend the SR9 to my three daughter, because I like mine so much. But two of the three with very small hands have difficulty racking the slide also. All three, and my son as well, qualify as expert marksmen (women); and shoot mine and my sons SR9 very well, but that tough to rack slide IS problem for many people.

I can't get an answer from Ruger that makes sense. What's the solution?

Last, but not least in any manner, those directions and pics on the SR9 took, not only knowledge, time and dedication, but a ton of concern for all of us. My heartfelt thanks for your highly succesful efforts.

Regards
Ken

Jumping Frog

Bearcat
woodsman1st":d48z1w83 said:
I have a great deal of trouble racking the slide on my SR9 due in part to the strength of the spring; but also due to my arthritic hands; which will only worsen as time marches on.
Why not shoot revolvers?

kujiin

Bearcat
Your striker sure appears to be cleaner than mine is from the factory. Should the striker be wiped and cleaned spotless, with a minute amount of oil afterwards?

Thanks,

Kuj

jhearne

Buckeye
My Striker wasn't that dirty to begin with I think. Though I do remember wiping it down with a RemOil cloth and making sure it was smooth as far as it's travel was concerned.

Josh

kujiin

Bearcat
Thanks,

Think I'll take it back apart and clean it up. BTW, you tutorial on this was outstanding and easy to follow. First time I've ever completely broke down a pistol that far.

Thanks Again for your work,

Kuj

A

Anonymous

Have put about 60 rounds through this gun now and taken down twice and cleaned. Trigger pull is still at 9.5#--Called Ruger and they said too bad was within specs. Will this work out with more rounds, or will I need the Ghost part as well. I think I could live with 6# or so, but know where close.

jhearne

Buckeye
Rusty":1mun9eaf said:
Have put about 60 rounds through this gun now and taken down twice and cleaned. Trigger pull is still at 9.5#--Called Ruger and they said too bad was within specs. Will this work out with more rounds, or will I need the Ghost part as well. I think I could live with 6# or so, but know where close.

Welcome to RF.com Rusty, unfortunately, like Ruger said, that is within specs. Before the recall of the SR9 the 'official' pull on the spec sheet was around 6 lbs, but as long as what you tell Ruger is within specs, they are not obligated to do anything. With a few hundred rounds, things can get better over time. Did you polish the internals as well? Lots of people are reporting much nicer pulls, not exactly groundbreaking in weight reduction, but just smoother overall, less stacking. Some have reported around 7-9 lbs, but I'll swear up and down that mine's just smoother, maybe better by only 1/2 a lb.

As for the Ghost trigger upgrade it's still in process and this is the thread he wrote in on RF.com a few weeks ago. He's claiming that one model will put the SR9 around 3.5 lbs of pull and another model around 5 lbs.

arthur@ghost":1mun9eaf said:
Dear Ruger Forum Members,

Hello, my name is Arthur Viani, and I am the owner and founder of Ghost Inc. I have been reading all of your comments regarding our forth coming SR9 Trigger Bar Resets (SR9 Triggers) with a great deal of interest and concern.

I must apologize for the frustration and angst I have caused by being overly optimistic regarding the SR9 Trigger release dates; this has been frustrating for me as well. I am very excited about these triggers, and the SR9's potential for becoming the "heir apparent" for the Glock. We are working hard to make the best triggers, not just good triggers. Unfortunately, this may mean further delays, but I promise, they will be worth the wait!

The best triggers for the SR9's are almost here. The die is made and I have produced several runs, and all the variants functioned well. However, I am not satisfied with a trigger just functioning. I have used firearms as life saving tools, and I don't settle for just "good enough". My name is on every thing that I produce, I will not release products that I know with a little more work will become the best, just to make a release date. Also, we do not use our customers as beta testers. We spend the money take the time to get it right and make it the best! That's why you get a "no BS" lifetime warranty.

Ghost has been making triggers and other products for Glocks for almost ten years and we have sold hundreds of thousands of triggers, parts and accessories world-wide. We are the only company making triggers, parts and accessories that gives our customers a lifetime (no BS) warranty on everything we manufacture. If you break it, even if it is your fault, Ghost will replace it for free!!!

I believe that parts are inexpensive but our reputation is priceless.

Regards,
Arthur Viani
President, Ghost Inc.

We are ALL collectively waiting on this release, I cannot wait for this thing to come out, I like shooting my SR9, but I've put shooting on hold until after the upgrade.

Josh

blairellis

Bearcat
Joined to say thanks for that info on the mag disconnect and the detailed write-ups. Great job!

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I want to thank you for this detailed guide, because it really works and it's already made maintaining my gun easier and less stressful. I could have puzzled it out myself based on the exploded diagram alone, but this article really goes a lot farther and gives me the confidence to take the gun apart without breaking anything. After seeing this I also know that I will be able to get it back together again. :D

It's a real service to everyone who owns an SR9, thanks for taking the time.

Supercharged86

Bearcat
Hi Josh,
Like so many have said before me, many thanks for all the hard work and priceless information. I know you have already spent countless hours and many late nights, but I was curious (NOT ungrateful) if video versions of the other 4 parts (especially 3, 4, 5) are in the works? Although your descriptions and pics are exceptionally orgainized and informative, there's something about watching a video that aids in comfort and confidence (with doing it yourself). I look forward to any future SR9 installments you may provide. Steve :D