SR1911 brass everywhere

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fatmanonabikeTx

Bearcat
The title pretty much says it all. It slings it right, sometimes over my shoulder, other times over my head. I guess I should be thankful it is ejecting, but I'd like to get it consistent enough to feed a homemade brass catcher. The pistol is completely stock, approaching 500-600 rounds. Any ideas?

hittman

Staff member
Sounds like my LCP! Its a brass slinging machine and you never know where it's gonna go.

fatmanonabikeTx

Bearcat
Thanks Tellico. I did read that and discovered that Ruger did the extractor work for me. Problem is the gun is reliable. The only"beeF' I have is I need a 300 degree backstop brass seems to just fly. So while I'm leaning towards an ejector issue, I really hate to screw with an otherwise functioning pistol,.

revhigh

Hawkeye
There's nothing wrong with your extractor of if functions reliably .... don't touch it. Look at your ammo.

I reload thousands of rounds of 45ACP every year ... and 8 out of 10 of my brass would go into a well-placed 5 gallon bucket. Consistency is the key.

Cheap, inconsistent ammo like WWB, or the junk remington stuff will generally result in brass all over the place, as well as bullets all over the target.

REV

Tellico

Buckeye
fatmanonabikeTx said:
Thanks Tellico. I did read that and discovered that Ruger did the extractor work for me. Problem is the gun is reliable. The only"beeF' I have is I need a 300 degree backstop brass seems to just fly. So while I'm leaning towards an ejector issue, I really hate to screw with an otherwise functioning pistol,.

No, I would not mess with the ejector. Just check the nose shape and if it is not shaped right-return to Ruger for replacement. On an older gun I would reshape the ejector and replace the fireing pin stop with an EGW O/size with a 1/16th radius. That will keep the brass right at your feet with target loads and 5-6 feet to the r. rear with major power factor ammo. With a 16# recoil spring and 19# main spring. I know the article starts with the extractor but at the bottom it deals with the ejector. That is what controls the angle of the brass being ejected.
The extractor will give feeding or extracting problems which you don't have.

Single Six

Bearcat
You want the ejector to contact the case as low as possible, and the extractor as high, generally. Neither one is too tricky to shape, very carefully, a little at a time, with tiny files.

The ejector is pushing one side of the case forward as the extractor pulls the other side rearward. For some reason, one or the other or both are not always hitting in the same place. The breechface could be machined too high.

Can you take some pictures?

tookalisten

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
There's nothing wrong with your extractor of if functions reliably .... don't touch it. Look at your ammo.

I reload thousands of rounds of 45ACP every year ... and 8 out of 10 of my brass would go into a well-placed 5 gallon bucket. Consistency is the key.

Cheap, inconsistent ammo like WWB, or the junk remington stuff will generally result in brass all over the place, as well as bullets all over the target.

REV

This is true! That was one of the first things I noticed when I started reloading, I was amazed that I could pick up my brass all close together - didn't know they would do that :lol:

fatmanonabikeTx

Bearcat
revhigh said:

REV

Hhmmm, maybe I'm part of the problem. I am reloading for this pistol. Currently loads are 4 grains of Bullseye with 200 gr LSWC . I was able to get 3 grains to cycle but only made 5 since I was out of bullets. But I was shooting cheap Remington ammo. I'll try to post Pics later today here is a stock image of the factory ejector that I'm using.

https://picasaweb.google.com/fatman...key=Gv1sRgCJSAjN_ujffiuwE#5721255791685601986

What I'm seeing is a tiny bit of peening at the top point of the ejector, which has to be expected, I guess. You can see the any meaningful reshaping of the ejector can only lower the point point of contact on the casing. Which would almost have to make it operate later in the later in the cycle. The ejector feels like its part of the frame, very solid.

I was curious if other SR1911 owners are having the same "problem" the brass is ejecting reliably and for that I'm truly thankful. It's certainly not something I could complain about to Ruger. As it stands now all my beass would conveniently eject into a proper placed 10 yd dump truck... on its side.

Single Six

Bearcat
The ammo should change how close or far it lands, but if it's erratic, it's the gun. I went through it with my Colt, now it leaves it in a pile, close or far depending on the load.

fatmanonabikeTx

Bearcat
Here's some pics from my phone.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-xXBC0r4s5zA/T2YvHl14fFI/AAAAAAAAAYQ/iAIdmCb8YlE/s720/photo%2520%25284%2529.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-WK54K_dF6Es/T2YrCfOolII/AAAAAAAAAYA/5wznW5BnTCs/s1113/photo%2520%25283%2529.JPG

The ejector is blurry at the point of interest. I'll post a better pic later. The more I read, the more hesitant I am to make mods, since the pistol is operating properly now.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Single Six said:
if it's erratic, it's the gun.

I'm not sure how you ccould possibly deduce that ... erratic, inconsistent ammo yields erratic, inconsistent ejecting.

REV

Single Six

Bearcat
revhigh said:
Single Six said:
if it's erratic, it's the gun.

I'm not sure how you ccould possibly deduce that ... erratic, inconsistent ammo yields erratic, inconsistent ejecting.

REV

I didn't deduce it, I experienced it. :) Most factory ammo is not so erratic as to cause such wild ejection. The cases and all very close to the same size, and the velocity is within a couple hundred FPS at the most. Only way I could see the ammo making a really big difference is very cheap, poor reloads with different brands of cases and inconsistent powder loading.

Now that I have worked through ejection with my Colt, (Oversize firing pin stop to stop extractor clocking, EGW extractor, fitted) all ammo ejects the same for a given ammo type. No more some going straight right or slightly forward and the next hitting me in the face.

OP, have a look at Joe Camber's comments on the extractor and ejector on the SR1911. (If you've not heard of him, Joe is a professional 1911 'smith, trained under Bob Marvel, one of the greats)

Extractor:

The extractor is very close to the correct specs for length from the front of the firing pin stop slot to the rear edge of the hook at 2.257" (correct measurement is 2.250" +/- .005"). It does have a bit too much tension but this appears to be caused by the fact that the tip of the hook is slightly too fat allowing the round to be held by said tip on the rebate of the round instead of on the rim of the case by the flat of the extractor. This causes accuracy and reliability issues as it does not allow the round to be held in the chamber the same each time and causes an interruption in the feeding process.

Ejector:

The ejector is an extended variety that has been pinned in place. It is of a suitable length at 1.060 from front to back. However, the nose has been shaped at a downward angle as opposed to a rearward angle which would be preferred for consistent ejection.

EDIT : more to be gleaned in the whole article :

http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?982-Ruger-SR1911-Review

Single Six

Bearcat
Just saw the pics. Pretty good for a phone! I'm not a fan of that ejector shape. I think it is hitting the case too high, and instead of the case flipping up and out, it's going straight right, maybe down, and bouncing off the ejection port, then who knows where from there. You might see if you notice some brass markings and hand-cycle some empty cases through it and see how the ejection looks.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
What, no pictures?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-XoJVNAo8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENFoZPF2-FM

revhigh

Hawkeye
Single Six said:
the velocity is within a couple hundred FPS at the most.

That is a HUGE variation in a round where the typical velocity is around 800. I guess a 33% variation is no big deal to you (from 600 to 800), but it sure is for your gun. When I chrono my reloads ... I usually see around 30 fps variation ... if that.

REV

Single Six

Bearcat
revhigh said:
Single Six said:
the velocity is within a couple hundred FPS at the most.

That is a HUGE variation in a round where the typical velocity is around 800. I guess a 33% variation is no big deal to you (from 600 to 800), but it sure is for your gun. When I chrono my reloads ... I usually see around 30 fps variation ... if that.

REV

Yes, 200 is pretty extreme, and I doubt factory ammo varies that much....and even if it did, I think it would cause the round to land closer or further, but wouldn't change the angle from right to straight back.

fatmanonabikeTx

Bearcat
The Wall said:
What, no pictures?

I wonder if I have too much extractor tension. Looking at the STI video I can pass that shake test with a dummy round.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
fatmanonabikeTx said:
The Wall said:
What, no pictures?

I wonder if I have too much extractor tension. Looking at the STI video I can pass that shake test with a dummy round.
Are you have extraction problems? If not, leave it alone. Did you try more than one kind of ammo? Try with a real round. The weight of the bullet can make a difference. Are you talking about a home made dummy round or one of those store bought ones?