SR1911 brass everywhere

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Single Six said:
revhigh said:
Single Six said:
the velocity is within a couple hundred FPS at the most.

That is a HUGE variation in a round where the typical velocity is around 800. I guess a 33% variation is no big deal to you (from 600 to 800), but it sure is for your gun. When I chrono my reloads ... I usually see around 30 fps variation ... if that.

REV

Yes, 200 is pretty extreme, and I doubt factory ammo varies that much....and even if it did, I think it would cause the round to land closer or further, but wouldn't change the angle from right to straight back.

That much of a variation also impacts slide velocity which can easily affect ejection angle.

What I'd do ??? Get some KNOWN CONSISTENT AMMO, maybe you have a buddy who reloads and is SURE his ammo is quality.

Clean and lube the gun to facory specs. Try the gun with that ammo. If the variability stops ... you have your answer.

The absolute LAST THING I would do is mess around with either the extractor OR the ejector. I own tons of 1911's over the last 30 years, and have never had an issue with either of those parts .... EVER. The last thing you want to do is start doing a bunch of kitchen table gunsmithing based on what you saw on youtube.

Eliminate the ammo FIRST if you wnat to approach this sensibly and logically.

REV

fatmanonabikeTx

Bearcat
revhigh said:
.....The absolute LAST THING I would do is mess around with either the extractor OR the ejector. I own tons of 1911's over the last 30 years said:
Yeah I gotta agree there, it only makes sense to start with the simple things first. I am only actually qualified to make matters worse. There is no sense at all in turning a perfectly good pistol into a high priced paperweight. Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'll be back when the cases actually stop ejecting.