SP101 range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Palu

Bearcat
Went to the range tonight with my new 3" SP101 357mag. Found out that I'm a horrible shot with smaller guns. :lol:

On a letter sized target, my shots were all over the place. This was at 10 ft. It got worse and worse as the target was set further away. At 50 ft., I couldn't even hit it!!! :oops: The ammo I used ranged from 110 gr. Hydrashok (38 sp) to 180gr. Buffalo Bores (what a KICK!!!). 148-158gr. 38 sp. felt about the best, which is what I have loaded up at home for SD.

So for me, my range with my SP is 10ft or less! :p

Yeah, more and more range time is in order. I bought a multi-day pass, so I'll be able to go more often. I was pretty embarrassed at myself for the disappointing performance. But I did make up for it with my GP100 6" that I did pretty well with. (I love that gun). I'll just have to get used to shooting the SP more.

41manor44

Single-Sixer
Stay with the SP it'll get better. They are fun guns to shoot and a great SD weapon. Try sticking to middle of the road stuff until you get use to it. 125 through 158 is all I put through mine. As long as I can keep all my rounds on a 9" plate at 7-10 yards it will satisfy my purpose, of course this is double action drawing from a holster.

TreeDoc

Bearcat
I would'nt feel to bad about your marksmanship with a smaller revolver. Theres alot of people in the same boat with you. More trigger time, dry firing can shrink those groups.

78CJ5

Bearcat
Palu: The SP101 is not a distance revolver, but with practice and good trigger control your groups will shrink. And with regular practice after that happens you will be able to hit what you want where you want when you want. I have three SP's and they all are great shooters if I do my part.

Palu

Bearcat
Thanks, guys. I'll just gave to practice more. Oh, I did change my hammer spring out to a Wolff 10lb yesterday. Wow! What a difference. I highly recommend it. And zero FTF.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Proper hold and trigger control are a BIGGIE with such small ones. Load 3 or 4 randomly and see if you flinch on the empty chamber. That recoil anticipation can ruin the shooters part of performance. Remember what the gun is designed for and strive for that first. Progress from there. Personally, I'd only be concerned with acceptable performance out to 40 feet or so. Even then, it's not tiny groups but consistent groups on a standard b-24 style target.

ronto

Hunter
I hit a moving armadillo broadside in twilight at 20 yards...I was more surprised than the dillo was. The 2 1/4" SP is capable of more than I gave it credit for...It's only limitation is the shooter aiming it.

contender

Ruger Guru
I took an Sp-101 in 357, added a set of Wolff springs, a Hi-Viz front sight, and a set of Hogues to my range and with 38 spl target ammo shot an easy 8" group at 50 yds.
Get the gun to fit YOU, and then practice with target ammo before working up to more recoil. You might be surprised.

A

Anonymous

Short barrel equals short sight radius. The effect of each tiny wiggle is doubled. When you can shoot a short gun well, you've accomplished something. In the process, it will help your longer barreled shooting, too.

My Bobcats are about as short as it gets, and I was all over the place at first. I could have maybe kept the shots on a 10' X 10' target! Now shooting careful SA I can usually keep them on a paper plate at 20 yards. SD type shooting is paper plate at 20 feet. I hope to get some better than that, but I only hit the range once a month.

jack76590

Bearcat
My SP 101 seems to have the sights regulated for 158 grain bullets. 38 sp and 357 revolvers are pretty bullet weight sensative in regard to point of impact.

While it is not what you would guess lighter bullets shoot lower and heavier bullets shoot higher.

e3mrk

Bearcat
I have a SP-101 with a 2.25 inch Barrel and I could not even hit the ground with it at first but with practice I was able to pass the ccw course with it even getting 5 out of 6 rounds in a piece of notebook paper at 50 feet.
just keep practicing and you will get better.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Palu: Were you shooting double action?

I also have the 3" sp101 in 357. Shooting DA, my groups range from 2 - 5" at 30 ft. Shooting SA, I have shot a few 1.5" groups at 20 yards from sandbags. But my typical 20 yard groups tend to be 3.5" -4.5" rested and shooting SA.

Trigger control is everything. Keep at it. You also might want to have a more experienced shooter see what they can do. Maybe they can see if it's you or the gun. Good luck.

Palu

Bearcat
Good idea, Jayhawk. I shot both SA and DA. I'm pretty sure it's the shooter, though. :lol:

yleefox

Bearcat
I have the 3 inch model in 357 magnum and while I do not target shoot with 357s, I do with 38 specials, 158 LSWC. 7yds baseball or smaller sized groups consistently. I'm only mentioning this, so you will know that the revolver is quite capable of at least this kind of accuracy. I might also mention, that I'm a "older" citizen and if I can do it, so can you with a little practice.

Y