SP101 Hand Fit

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blacklion213

Bearcat
I have been looking for a carry weapon. It got down to the GP100 or SP101. The SP101 is smaller and weighs less. When holding and firing the SP101 the outer rear of the trigger guard rubs my middle finger. Is there an aftermarket grip that helps this situation? Thank you.

cwegga

Bearcat
Yes, the Hogue, Trausch, Badger, Eagle and other grips all eliminate or reduce this problem. :shock: The ones I've listed remove the problem, some others will only reduce it.

Hugh

Buckeye
Blacklion213 said:
I have been looking for a carry weapon. It got down to the GP100 or SP101. The SP101 is smaller and weighs less. When holding and firing the SP101 the outer rear of the trigger guard rubs my middle finger. Is there an aftermarket grip that helps this situation? Thank you.

Here's my 2-1/4" SP-101 with Trausch grips. No more finger rub on rear of trigger guard.

p1010002ki.jpg

berettapistols

Blackhawk
The Hogue three finger grips remedy the middle finger from touching the trigger guard & fill the hand nicely & give a great purchase on the firearm..
They may take away from pocket carry as there a bit long for this but really the SP101 is too heavy for pocket carry when compaired to a J Frame Smith Airweight or LCR Ruger..

Ruger SP101s w/ Hogue Grips
mydaosp101s3of.jpg

9mm SP101 DAO & 38spl SPNY

MidLife

Single-Sixer
SP101c.jpg

Trausch helped with that same problem, where the metal finger gaurd stings your finger with hot loads, but, the grip didn't fit perfectly and requires some fiddling on mine. The houge grips fit just fine but can be a little sticky.

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Yep, +1 on the Hogues. I shot some .357s out of my SP with the stock grip, and went out and bought the Hogue the next day. So when I got my GP, I bought the Hogue right away (as you may know, the Hogue is the stock grip on the GP nowadays).

If you're still deciding between the SP & the GP, the SP is easier to to conceal, and lighter. Most people feel the GP is a little too heavy and bulky for concealed carry. I was in this camp, and have carried an SP101 the last few years, until a couple weeks ago I made myself a holster along the lines of the Kholster and the Crossbreed, and found I can conceal my 3" GP100 just fine.

Anyway either one's a great gun.

If a guy's gotta have great big grips on a concealment gun, then maybe he oughta just be carrying a bigger gun.

Little grips on a little gun, like a Model 36, or Charter, or SP101, are not big enough for real people to get three fingers on. So don't try. Curl your pinky underneath, and your middle-finger knuckle will thank you. And, the grip that was designed to be on your gun, will help keep it concealed, and easy to carry that way.

WAYNO.

Merlinspop

Bearcat
I think its better to give the originals a good try before worrying about getting replacements. Just know they're out there and available if you wind up feeling you need to make a change. The original ones have worked out great for me and the only thing that would make me swap em out would be if I decide to go to CT grips.

B

MidLife

Single-Sixer
SP101d.jpg

After fiddling and forcing, I finally got the grips on. Just in time to put in the wall safe for the winter. :cry:

captainjack

Bearcat
Like the previous posts from WAYNO and Merlinspop, I agree the factory grips work very well for concealment. I have considered wearing a bandage when I am at the range to eliminate the sting on my middle finger. I'm sure in a self defense situation the sting would not be a concern. On the other hand those Badger giips in Countryboy's post sure look good. I've been looking for an excuse to buy another SP101 and those Badgers just put me one step closer. I'll contnue to use the stock giip gon for CC. They are not the most comfortable but to me, they offer the best concealment.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
ShowMeState1977 said:
Would these suggested grips prevent scraping your middle finger middle knuckle while getting a grip before un-holstering? Silly sharp trigger guard.
Get rid of those sharp edges on a stainless gun around the trigger guard etc. with a stone or some 400 grit sandpaper. Use some different shaped sticks (round, flat) to back the sandpaper. Don't use a 'Dremel'. Touch-up the brushed stainless finish with a 'Chore Boy' scrubber. :D

...jimbo

Nakagawa

Single-Sixer
Could you explain what you meant by backing the sandpaper with a round or flat stick? Also, do the stock grips cause middle finger issues with those with big hands, small hands, or both? I have small hands and i am curious as to whether i would have problems or not. Get to make my sp101 purchase a bit after january.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
To sand the edges on a Ruger stainless gun you can wrap or glue some 400 grit black oxide sandpaper around a small dowel or a popsicle stick for better control and to get into those tight places.

The standard Ruger grip allows the middle finger up behind the triggerguard where it can get smacked in recoil.

The Hogue rubber grip puts your middle finger below the triggerguard and gives more length to wrap your hand around. The Hogue rubber grip handles recoil very well. I have used both and I like both and I have small hands. :D

RugerSP101-2.jpg
sp-101hogue.jpg

...Jimbo

patcannon

Single-Sixer
Nakagawa said:
...do the stock grips cause middle finger issues with those with big hands, small hands, or both? I have small hands and i am curious as to whether i would have problems or not.
Don't know for sure about small hands -- I have very average hands and it smacked my knuckle some with Magnum loads; .38 Special was totally comfortable to shoot with the stock grips.

Since I got the rubber Monogrip I can blaze away in comfort with the real fun fire-breathing loads. I like it a lot. Ooh an excuse to post this picture again!

patmuzzleflash640x380.jpg