Somebody advise me ~ ethics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
What is ethical protocol regarding reference from one gun forum to another?

I was on one forum and saw a post regarding another brand of revolver. This was a most interesting post, and one I felt that others on the other forum would be interested. I did post some info and then referred correspondents back to the forum on which I had seen the original post.

Is it ethical to give the URL of one forum on a second forum? Is it even ethical to even acknowledge the existance of other gun forums?

Not wanting to create any false paws.

Bob Wright

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
I would, to advance and inform the thread. I've seen it done elsewhere, up to the owners though.

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
We all know Ruger Forum is the best gun forum on the internet, so a link from here to another forum should be permitted because it is obvisely a step downward.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I've done it here. I post lots of links and nobody has said a thing except there is that rule about quoting large amounts of text or complete articles without getting permission. I think people want to know where information comes from even if it is from another gun forum.

...and believe me, I done many faux paws. (faux pas) :D

mike7mm08

Buckeye
If it provides relevant info I see no problem in offering a link. We come to this forum and others seeking info. What difference if that info comes in a post on this forum or a link to another forum where the info can be found.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
To your ethics questions, I think the rule of "assume good faith" would apply. You are pointing people elsewhere as a point of information - not to drive them away. We all know this is a special place and as such, I don't think anyone here would have a problem with it, nor would most other gun forums.

wwb

Hunter
We actually have a section specifically for that sort of thing....

"Auction Links, Recurring Items, and Other Deals"

cas6969

Buckeye
Cross posting is frowned upon on many forums. I think the content and the purpose would play a big part in how it's accepted on others. A "look at this funny heart warming story" will obviously go over better than "look at what these jerks think". ;)

stevemb

Hunter
Ask moderators there, or PM the info to the specific people you think would like the info.. A thought, or two.

pete44ru

Hunter

I've found out that it's usually OK to post a link on one forum, referring to info elsewhere, but not (copy/paste) the information itself, verbatim.

Mike J

Hunter
I think it is okay. I have done it & seen others do it here & at thehighroad & not been concerned about it. I don't know if there is a rule against it but I get the impression it might not be as welcomed some other places. I guess it depends on the culture of the individual forum. Some seem more closed than others.

Latest posts