Sixty-Two Years of Math In America

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sixty-Two Years of Math In America (1957 – 2019)

Last week I purchased a burger for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980s
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990s
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers, and if you feel like crying, it's ok.)

6. Teaching Math In 2000s
If you have special needs or just feel you need assistance because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, childhood memories, criminal background, then don't answer and the correct answer will be provided for you. There are no wrong answers.

7. Teaching Math In 2019
Un hachero vende una carrtada de maderapara 100 pesos. El costo de la producciones es 80 pesos. Cuanto dinero ha hecho?

314Chevy

Single-Sixer
I read somewhere that the next stage in human evolution will be the development of a math gene. I don't think that will be true but I do think and hope our next generation of leaders will be those that understand math. The successful kids I see in their 20's all seem to have studied science/technology in college or learned a trade (also math dependent). Then again AOC seems to be proving me wrong.

contender

Ruger Guru
Sadly,, it's not just math that has been dumbed down in public schools. But math is the most obvious. History is another subject that has been "altered" to the point of total misunderstanding. And of course,, cursive writing,, along with required reading materials. Between texting & acronyms to ebonics,,, any "kid" nowadays who has a REAL education is a jewel!!!!

Well I understand there are some people in society that need very good math skills.... I suspect there are a few here on this forum who can figure out advanced calculous (I am not one of them even though I took it a lifetime back) Most folks don't need much more than basic math to get by and that is even limited with all the electronics we have. All I can remember retaining from high school is typing and some stuff from home economics and that the civil war, or as we were taught.. the war of Northern Aggression.... was not about slavery but state's rights.... 6 years of college and what I remember is to never mention your competition in advertising and that the best way to get a good grade in a class is to sit on the front row and figure out what the teacher likes and wants from the students. Oh, and never ever eat an entire large meat lovers pizza just before taking a math test.

While it's likely true that most don't need advanced mathematics to live happy and productive lives, basic 2+2 arithmetic isn't necessary to obtain a high school diploma today. In many places, even if a student fails they advance to the next grade. While thouse excuses like not ruining the kids self esteem the real reason is money.

Here the district gets state funding based on the number of students. However if a kid fails and must repeat a class or grade the district isn't paid for the next go round. The original idea behind this was to motivate educators to teach better. But, the result is kids advancing without learning the material. Thus we have young people who can't make change even when the register tells them how much to return.

I have see registers that will tell the cashier how many pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters tohand back

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I find it consistently true, that the teachers raised and taught with the math methodoolgies that taught the people who got 100 tons of spacecraft to the moon and back - do not have the confidence in those methodologies to teach the next generations with them, so they endorse the new (unproven) methods with zero success measures. Ask any teacher how successful thier math teachings were for kids three years after their class.

BTW, I've witnessed plenty of grown up men and women who have no clue how to calculate compound interest, or even convert fractions to percent... old news.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Jeepnik said:
I have see registers that will tell the cashier how many pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters tohand back

Hi,

When I got my first computer at home, I was the last guy to the party. I'd used 'em a little at work, but had a boatload of learning to do at home. So I read just about everything I could on the subject, and listened to guys on the radio with their computer shows. One fellow, who may still be active on the radio somewhere, was named Jeff Levy. Jeff was originally a lawyer as I understood it, and became a computer wonk as a side interest. He'd have topics of the week, and once every few shows he'd have a call in session.

One Sunday, it was a call in show on whether computers had a place in the classroom. About 6-8 people called in, and all but one of them said "No" or "Absolutely not" or a more polite version of "He(ck) no!" The one person who thought they did have a place in the classroom was a 3rd grade teacher who said the computers "helped cut HER workload." The rest of the callers were in business one way or another, as owners or mid- to upper level management types.

One fellow, an owner, said he had a test he used with interviews for new hires. He had a drawer full of Monopoly money and pretend coins, and he'd ask the candidates to make change for a couple of hypothetical scenarios. If they could, the interview continued. If not, the door was right there and wide open to go out. Interview over.

Jeff asked the fellow, who was in his sixties (this would have been mid-90s if memory's not playing tricks), if his jobs required handling a lot of cash. The gentleman replied that no, they didn't handle ANY money. However, he explained that transactions involving the trade of cash for goods or services, and receiving proper amounts of cash as change in many of those transactions so nobody gets cheated, are one of THE most fundamental tasks we do every day. And "if you can't handle the fundamentals, you're really never going to be able to do the much higher level work we do here." You could almost hear heads nodding thru the phone lines and the microphone!

Rick C

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
Heard it said that up until the early 1900's US colleges and universities taught Latin, Greek, and advanced sciences and mathematics. Now they teach remedial English and math....

blackhawknj

Buckeye
It doesn't help when the overly powerful teachers' unions insist that training in methodology will allow someone to teach anything, perhaps with a little "brushing up."
In my battalion in the New Jersey National Guard in the late 70s there was a "math" teacher. He was also a slob and a dopehead. As I told the troops, you'll never learn anything from people like him.
Then there's all the case of math teachers who spend 75% of the class time going over homework, often with students at the blackboard.
And again, when parents use the schools as a daycare center.....