SINGLESIX HUNTER OR MARK* HANDGUN?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I am trying to decide between a Mark something and a Singlesix Hunter. I currently have an older model, full lug SP101 22 that I enjoy and that is a great match for my SP101 4.2 357. Problem is, I can no longer see the sights well enough to be satisfied with the targets I shoot. My thinking is I need either a scope or dot type sight. That handy little SP cannot be easily fitted with either. I have a red dot on my 44 S&W that I am happy with. I mostly just punch paper, although I used to shoot a few squirrels and groundhogs with a SS Hunter and a Mk II target that i had years ago.
I would be interested in thoughts of pluses and minuses, or other options.
Thanks
Bfly

hittman

Staff member
Since you’ve already got a revolver, go with something different.

I’d look for a nice used MKII ….. maybe consider a MKIV if that’s not available.

Hard to go wrong either way.

Uncle Howie

Buckeye
I like both options, so I might not be much help! :p

I’ve used traditional pistol scopes and “tube” style red dots. (i.e. the original UltraDot)

I just put a Burris FastFire III “reflex” style red dot on a KMK4BL, and it’s a HANDY little package!

I used a mount from Burris requiring removal of the rear sight, but it sits L-O-W, and close to the bore.

Link to a picture of a similar (non-Burris) setup, on a longer barreled pistol:
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/10760759

Johnnu2

Buckeye
I have a Mk IV Lite..... as an old person, I enjoy light guns and this particular sight... it has brightness levels AND, I tested it by taking it off to use the iron sites (which are fibre optic in front and VERY easy to see) and then putting it back on WITHOUT having to re-sight-in. If I were buying again, I would buy it again... :)
p.s. I put in a Volquartsen trigger/sear etc kit (myself) and removed the magazine safety that precludes shooting when mag gets lost. It's now a normal firearm with a superb trigger.

IMHO,
J.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I also put the Burris on my Single-Ten, after I made the mount, similar to the various Weigand offerings. Works very well.

contender

Ruger Guru
Either one would be a great choice.

MY personal preference would be the Single-Six Hunter.

timboy

Bearcat
I'd go with the MK series,I have a MK II with a bull barrel and a red dot on it so Might be a tad biased.
I'm also waiting to pick up a MK IV Lite I recently purchased that I will be mounting a vortex venom on.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
The Mark* will most likely be more accurate, but there's something just fun about shooting/hunting with a revolver. For pure hunting I'd go with the revolver, but loading a Single Six is a lot more aggrevation than a auto, so I'd chose the Mark* for paper punching.

Latest posts