Single-Six OM ?s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
I came into a relative's piece, which I didn't know he had. The 6-digit S/N indicates 19678 production. A 5.5" 3-screw, unconverted, as pictured..except...the grip frame is all in-the-gray. I even took the grips off. Either it came this way? or chemically stripped? Or blasted, with some care to achieve a dull polish on what the gigantic aftermarket wood grips don't cover. The 3 screws were also 'grayed' to match, LOL. Blueing is easily 98%+, but some oxidation on the polished sides of the hammer, and a tiny ding in the ERH at about 6 o'clock.
h2740.jpg

on the LH side above the trigger, simply....

Ruger 22LR
Single-Six

...with the Eagle symbol at it's RH edge. And only, one cylinder.
If she don't thrill me with the chore of shooting...what would it bring in your neck-o-the-woods?

contender

Ruger Guru
If I read that serial number right,, a 61-02875 would have been shipped in 1972. Now,, if the gun you are looking at is different than the one pictured,, my mistake.
The graying of those earlier grip frames is common. Most of us just leave it alone,, or find a pristine example to use as a display gun. I wouldn't worry about the graying of the grip frame.
Value? Lots of things determine that. Overall condition, how it was shipped, (did it have an extra cylinder & it's gone?) box, papers, other markings that make it special, etc. We would need a lot more info & if it isn't the gun pictured,, we'd need pics to help.

k22fan

Blackhawk
I'm just starting to look at Single Sixes so correct me if I'm wrong, but VictorLouis
wrote his is only marked "Single Six", not "Super Single Six", so unlike the picture wouldn't VictorLouis' have fixed sights? How does that affect value?

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Yes, K22fan has it right, one way or another he has a Super Single Six as pictured
or a Single Six with of course approiate drift windage only rear sight.

SATCOM

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Aha, you guys have hit on something I thought unusual. The gun is as-pictured, but that's one I found on the net, NOT my actual piece. It has those factory W/E adj. sights, coupled with the undercut patridge front. To be clear, the S/N has NO prefix, simply six digits, 5379**. The markings are exactly as I wrote, no 'Super' anything on it.

The ONLY other guns I've seen of this era had the drift-only rear, and crescent front. No box nor spare cylinder, but I got the grips off and at least they're Herrett's. He had some good taste. :)

Nice to know about the frame...thanks.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Victor,

The Super SS pictured is in the $450 price range, less w/o both cyls. Your relative's gun in similar condition but with greyed grip frame and original grips missing would be in the $300-350 ballpark as you describe it. Less w/o both cylinders.

Hope that helps,

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Thanks, all...gents.. I'll keep my eyes our for grips at the next big show. What should I expect to pay for clean set?

That's Not HIS gun pictured flatgate,,,,,and until I could "see" a picture of HIS gun, as he said "grayed" ( screws and frame) are they stripped off? or normal wear, fade, oxidation, thus the price would have to be accordingly......tough to price a gun based on just words, 'condition' is pretty much everything...and if you are going to try and sell it ,why bother to find replacement grips?? why put money into it......but if you are going to "keep it" then by all means lets find out just what needs to be "done" to make it "whole" again........PICTURES!! :wink: