Single Six accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've had a Single Six for several years now. Loads of fun, love the feel of it, but it's just not that accurate. Use a paper plate for a target and get flyers all over the place - using .22LR or .22WMR - doesn't matter.

Just when I start to think I've forgotten how to shoot I will take out another revolver or pistol and shoot a teeny lil' group with it, drilling out the bullseye.

I've heard guys swear by the accuracy of these guns. Do you suppose I just got a lemon?

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Keep trying different ammo amigo. A Single Six "can" shoot with fodder it likes...(As do most rimfires it seems) My OM likes Amer Eagle 38 gr HP in LR and these in WMR:

22WM001.jpg

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
My Single Six convertible shoots nearly a foot high and right at 15 yards with all .22 LR ammo that I've tried (not shooter error...others get same results with it), but it shoots dead on with .22 Magnums.

contender

Ruger Guru
Just a thought,, have you checked the muzzle under a magnifyer to see if there is any burrs that could throw a bullet off?

kelbro

Single-Sixer
Mine is not that great with most ammo, 22LR or 22WMR. Put some 22 shorts in it, and I look like a bullseye champion.

All of my Ruger 22s have their own favorite ammo.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've got a '73 vintage, 3-screw that's a convertible..and it'll shoot well with most anything I care to push through it. Magnums, tho rarely used, do about 2" at 25 yds, but .22 lr's snug right up. In the pic below, that blue tape is 2" wide and the ammunition was Remingon bulk bought .22 lr. Rod

Single-Six.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
My 1960 version and add-on mag cyl both shoot well and to the same poi...stranger things happen I guess. Chief aka Maxx Load

A

Anonymous

My Single-Six gives me about 4 inch groups with LR. Don't know about magnum, I've only ever shot twelve rounds of that. My Bearcats do about 2 1/2 inch, my Mark III is 2 inch groups, on good days. All at 25 yards, with Federal bulk or CCI Mini Mag.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Well, sounds like I'm fortunate in that both my NM and OM SS6's shoot as well as I can.....(Usually better! :lol: )

I'm planning at some point to have Ruger swap my NM's 5.5" barrel for a 9.5" (and reblue the LR cylinder's decades of wear)....Do a little smallbore silhouette with it....:wink:
(Just hope it comes back as accurate as it is now by the sounds of it! :? )

J Miller

Blackhawk
My old model might do 2.5" to 3" groups with LR ammo. Not sure of the magnums. Rarely if ever shoot 'em.
This is really unacceptable to me. My OM .45 Colt can shoot better than that.

Joe

xtratoy

Buckeye
Rodfac said:
I've got a '73 vintage, 3-screw that's a convertible..and it'll shoot well with most anything I care to push through it. Magnums, tho rarely used, do about 2" at 25 yds, but .22 lr's snug right up. In the pic below, that blue tape is 2" wide and the ammunition was Remingon bulk bought .22 lr. Rod

Single-Six.jpg
I have 7 Single Sixes and they all exhibit accuracy typical of Rodfacs example. I thank an inaccurate Single Six is an exception to the rule. I have Ruger MK II's, High Standards and Browning Semi-Autos to compare them to. YMMV

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Paco Kelly's accurizing tool is the way to go if you want to optimize your Single Six's potential.

http://www.pacotools.com/

Best Regards,
ADP3

jpickar

Blackhawk
I have had several single sixes and none of them have given me accuracy worth talking about.

I have had several Mark II's and they have all given me very good accuracy. Some have given me .150" groups at 25 yards with a scope and rest.

My experiance is not that favorable with the single sixes. I think the term "accurate" is relative to the person using it. Everyones idea of accurate is different.

John

Dano136

Bearcat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Magnum_Rimfire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

The 22 mag has a dia. of .224 and the 22lr has a dia. of .222 . The Single Six is made to shoot both as you guys know but the barrel is chambered for the larger WMR will not allow the accuracy needed for the 22LR.

I'm hoping the new SS TEN will be chambered for the 22LR and not just using the barrels they have on hand.

Most of you know this but this was for the few that don't. OK I'll shut up now....

A

Anonymous

Dano136 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Winchester_Magnum_Rimfire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

The 22 mag has a dia. of .224 and the 22lr has a dia. of .222 . The Single Six is made to shoot both as you guys know but the barrel is chambered for the larger WMR will not allow the accuracy needed for the 22LR.

I'm hoping the new SS TEN will be chambered for the 22LR and not just using the barrels they have on hand.

I've had more than one person say the Single-Six does best with plain lead round nose. Expands more for the larger bore? I don't know. Most all I shoot is copper wash HP, so maybe that's why mine could do better?

I think someone already posted that the Ten has the bigger bore?

MKII

Single-Sixer
Have never had trouble with any of mine killing game. I own several OM and NM SS"s...some shoot better than others. None of the ones I own have ever let me down. Great sixguns built to last a lifetime and then some.