Single Six .32 H&R?s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
2.4 grains of Bullseye with a 100 grain swc and .32 long brass shoots very well in all my .32 magnums. Shoots very close to the same point of aim as the heavy magnums do. That is something else I like about the .32 magnum. Just about all the loads shoot very close to the same point of aim. With a light wadcutter load they are not much louder than a .22 and with no more recoil.

dougader

Hunter
I love the 32 mag, too.

I load the 94 grain rnfp bullet from Meister with 4 grains of WW231 for 1000 fps in a 4-5/8" "Vaquerito."

The Sierra 90 grain jhc over 10.9 grains WW296 averages 1119 fps from the same revolver.

gak

Buckeye
I realize it's JHP, but the Georgia Arms 100 gr .32 H&R has run great in anything I've fed it through - namely Single Six and Smith Airweight.

EDIT: I should add that their 100 gr RNFP also has run well in my guns. I forgot those are 100 grainers as well.

SoundDude

Bearcat
gotcha":bosjbbpn said:
SoundDude, Is that a 327 or 32 H&R load? I am at a handicap no load info other then the net. How do you like that Berry 83gr DEWC?
Thanks
carl

.32 H&R load. It's at the upper end, but works well in my .327 BH. I really like the Berry's DEWC. I just ordered another box.

I received my new Single Six "Vaquerito" yesterday! Nice looking gun. Can't wait to give it a try this weekend.

gotcha

Bearcat
Well here are pics as promised, put about 60 rounds through it today
both s&w long and 32 H&R also picked up some Hornady 100 gr SWC
strange no lube is this an issue?
:D
32002.jpg

32001.jpg

thanks
Carl

41 mag fan

Single-Sixer
A lot of the hornady lead bullets I have loaded in the past used a tumble type lube. It ends up being just a film on the bullets. Check your Pms Gotcha. I can get you started with some 90 gr round nose that I shoot over 2.5 grains of trail boss. they make a great squirrel shooter.

Lo-Bo

Bearcat
Dave I really like the birdshead grip. I prefer it over the regular grip frame.

gak

Buckeye
To me--I guess like all grips--it's a very personal thing. For my hand, I like the standard (not shortie) SS plowhandle best...and I have small hands, so modified/slimmed a bit. The Birdshead was a little chunky too, in a different way. I love the way the BH looks though--have two of 'em; perfect mate for the SS. So, I slimmed down the BH grips top to bottom (from the back-side of course), not much as there's not a lot you can take...but to extent they mate smoothly with the frame near the hammer (no step) at the top/side. At least they fit my hand better now, and I like the feel almost as much as the PHs (also slimmed, then aftermarket anyway). Be sure to try them on first...it's a very individual thing--like Bisleys. I do like them much better than the shortie PHs they put on a lot of the .32s.

gotcha

Bearcat
Glupy, (Dave)
When they first appeared years ago (birdshead I was leary of them. Owning the single six 32 it is awsome and i have only about 60 rounds through it no complaints on the birdshead grip. With old Georgia arms 100 Jhp at 1100fps right on a 20 feet freehand same in 32 long 750fps? couple inches low and to the right the right thing is me just getting used to the new revolver and sights action is nice. Now I need a Bisley hammer and trigger group.
Carl

G2

Hunter
Birdshead Grip, This is a picture of a later brass GF(L) and a early (RH) model from MK years back. Notice how he added brass in the later GF so that if you wanted to make it a Birdshead you could by removing the heel of the GF. Line shows the cut mark. This gives you a good idea whats there and not or something of the sort.
P1010004-5.jpg

Dubldee

Bearcat
I'm another fan of the .32. I just bought and have yet to receive a single six in .32 H&R, and I have been loading for an SP101. It is such a pleasant round to shoot, a great way to become a better shot with single or double action, and a nice trainer for the wife. No recoil to speak of, super accurate, a really nice way to improve your skills. I like the reduced power loads from Hodgdon for their IMR Trailboss and lead wadcutters, for both S&W Longs and H&Rs. Good luck with your new acquisition. DD

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Good gun and a nice mild load for it as well, though I've never seen 1100 fps velocity wink out on the Chrono's window as of this date.

I like the birds head grip but have not shot it in a heavier caliber gun. My particular example shot well to the left when it arrived. I corrected this by bending the front sight (which eventually broke off, necessitating a hasty re-solder job on my part). Elevation was low as well and a little file work corrected that as well.

It's a light gun and does demand good steady hands to shoot well. (Less weight vs the trigger pull).

It responded well to most of my hand loading recipe's and will shoot 2" gps at 25 yds on demand... better if I'm having a good "eyes" day.

Here's a pic. The grips are my own efforts. My .44 spl Lipsey's 4-5/8" BH has a matching pair.

Regards, Rodfac

R-32a.jpg

Ethang

Blackhawk
You guys are not making it any easier to leave my new one in the safe. I resisted buying a box of ammo the other day just because I knew I would bring it home and shoot it...

Dubldee

Bearcat
Ethang, yep, you probably better get some ammo and shoot it. Keep an unfired one in some caliber that isn't so much fun, if you can find such a thing.
Funny thing, you see how much guys like their .32s, and how tough they are to find, and I wonder why Ruger quit making them.

gak

Buckeye
Dubldee":1h8vkggy said:
Ethang, yep, you probably better get some ammo and shoot it. Keep an unfired one in some caliber that isn't so much fun, if you can find such a thing.
Funny thing, you see how much guys like their .32s, and how tough they are to find, and I wonder why Ruger quit making them.

+1. Buy that ammo and shoot it! As to the "...why...," too many people drank the "only bigger is better" koolaid perpetuated by just about everyone from the rags to the sales counter...and somehow also swallowed the "don't see a need to fill the ginormous gap between .22 and .38/.357...Gap? What gap?" I've got .357s, 40s, 44 Mags, with a particular fondness for the .44 Special, but the little .32 Single Sixes are my favorite guns--and my favorite caliber. Enormously enjoyable to handle the SS guns and shoot that cartridge. I'd like to have at least one of them converted to .327--if Ruger doesn't do the right thing and beat me to it--and then will have the best of both worlds.

Landric

Bearcat
Georgia Arms' 100 grain JHP averaged 1164 fps out of my 4 5/8" .32 H&R Single Six. So far I haven't broken 1100 fps with my handloads, but I haven't tried either. I will eventually get there, if I ever have any time to play around with it.

I would love to see a Single Six in .327 Federal. Ruger, are you listening?

gak

Buckeye
Landric":79e31ydc said:
Georgia Arms' 100 grain JHP averaged 1164 fps out of my 4 5/8" .32 H&R Single Six. So far I haven't broken 1100 fps with my handloads, but I haven't tried either. I will eventually get there, if I ever have any time to play around with it.

I would love to see a Single Six in .327 Federal. Ruger, are you listening?

+1 on the Single Six .327. I keep hoping Ruger won't make me send one of my .32 SS's off to a custom shop for a conversion! Don't have those kind of funds now anyway, but it's on "the plan." They did answer the same plea (finally!) for a .44 Special New Vaquero, so who knows...you can only hope!

dougader

Hunter
You and me both, gak. I would love it if Ruger offered a Single Six in 327.

I already have the base gun and parts for a conversion to 327... including a ribbed S&W barrel to put on the 327 Single Six.

1stK22bbl_1.jpg

This is what I've been looking at (A Bowen beauty):

Bowen327FederalSingleSix_2.jpg

Ethang

Blackhawk
I am sure I will shoot it before much longer. If it is as good as everybody says, I will be looking for a real nice holster for it and brass and dies. ...