Should i clean these dies and how.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I picked up two sets of dies 44 mag and 45 colt.They look good but no doubt used. Should I soak them in anything and dry well or just wipe them down? Steel wool or scotch brite is a NONO
Correct? Thanks
Since I'm on here let me ask should I get factory crimp dies or just do the crimp that a 3 die set allows? Just plinking and do eventually strive for best accuracy I can get. Thanks again

NikA

Buckeye
Bronze brush works well for rust spotting in the knurling. Steel wool or scotchbrite for outside rust. If they are steel dies, would say anything worse than spotting on the inside and they are scrap. Carbide dies, clean rust however you want so it is out of the way of the case.

I normally clean with alcohol and CLP. Alcohol to dissolve old bullet lube, etc. and CLP to leave the dies in a storable/usable state.

contender

Ruger Guru
Any new dies get disassembled, then a simple cleaning using bore solvent. then wiped down & dried.
I treat dies like a gun barrel.

Used dies get disassembled,, and each part cleaned & inspected. I use the same copper bore brushes as I do with guns to clean internally. I check bullet seating dies for old lead bullet lube,, or other crud closely. Sizing dies get inspected for burrs & such. a Q-tip is a good way to find a burr.
Most of my loading of those (2) calibers is done with just the 3 die set. HOWEVER,, I do strive for accuracy,, and when it comes to the crimp,, I back the die body out far enough to where the crimp ring inside it doesn't touch the cases at first. I seat all my bullets first, then I back up the seating stem,, and then re-adjust the die body to the desired crimp and then crimp all the ammo at one time. It basically makes your 3 die set act like a 4 die set.

Latest posts