Share your 32 single six projects...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Thanks gak.

Joe S. the grip frame was a little wide and I had to narrow it a bit. Also since this was an older single six the ears on the side of the hammer were to tall and had to be shortened. Seems like when I ordered it from Brownells that it was supposed to be for a single six, but the grip panels are the same size as the ones on my 45 birdshead.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
JWhitmore44 said:
Thanks gak.

Joe S. the grip frame was a little wide and I had to narrow it a bit. Also since this was an older single six the ears on the side of the hammer were to tall and had to be shortened. Seems like when I ordered it from Brownells that it was supposed to be for a single six, but the grip panels are the same size as the ones on my 45 birdshead.

JW,
That's a nice one!

Ruger grips frames for single sixes, mid-size frame guns and full-size frames are all the same screw pattern and general dimensions regardless of which style grip frame. Different model guns will have different grip frame part numbers in the owner's manuals based on which model gun it is, but Ruger makes them to common dimensions for ease of production. The 'ear ' heights vary with vintage, not by model; the newer the grip frames are, the taller the 'ears' are. The width varies within manufacturing tolerances, also not by model.

dougader

Hunter
I've posted my 32 single six before. Alan Harton did the work: barrel shortened to 3-3/4" to match my 45 Colt Montado; Bisley hammer; free spin pawl, custom patridge style front sight and base; S&W J-frame adjustable rear sight; Colt style ejector rod; shortened base pin; black powder chamfer on the front of the cylinder, and a very slick action tune/trigger job.

i-szHBBkx-L.jpg

i-RgRBGfQ-L.jpg

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
dougader said:
I've posted my 32 single six before. Alan Harton did the work: barrel shortened to 3-3/4" to match my 45 Colt Montado; Bisley hammer; free spin pawl, custom patridge style front sight and base; S&W J-frame adjustable rear sight; Colt style ejector rod; shortened base pin; black powder chamfer on the front of the cylinder, and a very slick action tune/trigger job.

i-szHBBkx-L.jpg

That is sweet.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
There's plenty of them around and still can be found new and unfired. Post a want ad on this forum in the classified section.

They show up from time to time

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=171848

Nice 32 Bisley

Hondo44

Hawkeye
ranger1 said:
Not a project gun, just a .32 H&R mag Single Six short grip with no modifications.

028.jpg

Ranger1,

Are you sure that's the photo of your short grip gun? It doesn't look like my short grip, it looks like my standard grip which would also make that gun one of only 500, if original.
Here's the short grip on a 22.
orig.jpg

mill428

Bearcat
That's beautiful, Lee!

I have always wondered what a Metalifed single action would look like. I helped a friend get a .45 auto to Ron for hard chrome. I thought his work was not only reasonably priced, the finish was perfect and the turn around time was very fast. I have toyed with the idea of sending some of mine his way.

Have you had it done long? Does it seem like it is going to be pretty durable?

Craig

Lee Martin

Hunter
Extremely durable Craig. Mahovsky has done 12+ guns for me and the finish is very sound. It Rockwell C scales around 71 and they guarantee it for life.

cas6969

Buckeye
Mmmm…..brown cylinder?

BrownBis.jpg

Also had a round butt Bisley but it's long gone.

32left_1.jpg

Grip frame also brown. ;)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Update: This is my last completed project, an OM 22 single six converted to 32 Mag. Now with ramp front sight after sighting it in since photo taken:
medium800.jpg

Yesterday, I received my Clymer chamber reamer from Brownells. They didn't have a 32 Fed Mag reamer and a call to Clymer verified that they didn't make one. But all I needed to do was extend the 32 H&R chambers .122" to Fed Mag length. So I ordered the 32 H&R reamer, ground the stop back .122" and reamed my chambers.

When I shot it today I had two surprises: one good and one bad. Even though the Fed mags in the 85 Gr HP Hyrda shock loads were .002-.003" longer than the chambers, my .005" bar/cyl gap was sufficient for the loaded cyl to rotate w/o interference. The bad news was the rounds would not go off.

Although 32 Longs and 32 H&R Mags shot reliably with the original 22 RF firing pin, the Fed Mags would not. However the Feds shot fine in my reamed cylinder when installed in my Ruger NM 32 H&R Mag SS. The reason: the 32 Mag Ruger has a longer firing pin., so now I have one on order.

I won't be able to shoot longer bullets unless i seat them lower, but the Hydra shock factory loads are a fine cartridge.