Share your 32 single six projects...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe S.

Hunter
Links to your threads or pictures. Interested in seeing what you can do with these puppies. Anxious to see Hondo44's. i know he has tech.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Hi joe,
I'm afraid you've probably seen mine. Besides a blue/case hardened baby Vaquero, I have this mildly customized NM .32 Mag w/ Bisley hammer, modified spur. SS grip frame w/thinned grips, SBH grooved trigger w/web removed, Colt ejector rod and free-spin cylinder pawl.
orig.jpg

This is my last completed project, an OM single six converted to 32 Mag. Now with ramp front sight after sighting it in:
medium800.jpg

Not a 32 mag or a Ruger but a S&W 32 Long Mod 30-1 converted to a 32 Target Kit Gun with added Target Hammer, Trigger and Grips:
orig.jpg

Joe S.

Hunter
Very cool! I knew youd have pics!
I just picked up a little single six mag made in 1991. Just wondering what is out there. :)

varminter22

Single-Sixer
In the works: A new model "vaquero style" Single Six .32 Mag with birds head grip being shortened to 3" barrel, sheriffs model style. After much thought, decided to keep the ejector intact. Barrel rotated so that ugly warning is under the ejector housing.

And some action work to smooth it up and get rid of the factory trigger creep.

The faux "case hardening" Ruger finish will be removed.

Then comes engraving, similar to the .44 Spec Blackhawk:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165254

And a total reblue.

"Before" pic:

It will be a while before the "after" pic is ready!

5of7

Hunter
Hondo44 said:
Not a 32 mag or a Ruger but a S&W 32 Long Mod 30-1 converted to a 32 Target Kit Gun with added Target Hammer, Trigger and Grips:
orig.jpg

This makes a very nice little .32 S&W Long.

I have added adjustable sights to a model 36 .38 Special, but I wound up having to fabricate a front sight that I am not all that happy with. How did you arrange for such a nice looking front sight on your gun? Here is what I wound up with and I keep thinking I am gonna change it. 8)

IM000868.jpg

IM000871.jpg

gak

Buckeye
No major mods, Just a tuned early XR3 Red Vaquerito with Ruger laminates.
_Xutf-8XBXSU1HMDE5NzQuanBnX_.jpg

Also enjoy a tuned pair of Birdshead .32s - one blue/cch, the other SS.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
I have added adjustable sights to a model 36 .38 Special, but I wound up having to fabricate a front sight that I am not all that happy with. How did you arrange for such a nice looking front sight on your gun? Here is what I wound up with and I keep thinking I am gonna change it. 8)
IM000871.jpg
[/quote]

5of7,
That's a very nice looking job especially on the 3" barrel. I have a lot of time in that 32 sight. Whenever I make modifications I like them to look as if it could be something the factory would have produced. In the case of the 32 I started with an old 2" Model 36 barrel from a fixed sighted gun and cut out the sight and ramp all the way into the bore. This gave me a nice high ramp base. Unfortuntely the blade still wasn't tall enough. The 32 took a very tall front sight to zero to POA within the range of the rear sight adjustment. And the rib is barely wider than the new 1/8" sight blade I had to fabricate. I milled off the old blade and a slot in the ramp and soldered the new blade and ramp in place on the rib. With a 40 LPI checkering file I matched the factory serrations on the slope of the ramp parrallel to the rib and then cross wise on the sight blade.

I believe your front sight is excellent so far. All it needs is to have the sloping ramp of the sight blade filed to move it forward about 1/8" to 5/32" and serrated. Then file a slope on the rear of the base to factory proportions and serrate. Brownells has the correct file. Then reblue. It appears to be pinned in place to the original front sight. I would use a solid pin like the factory so the hole is not so obvious.
I think you could get it very close to my factory Model 36-1 Target.
standard.jpg

Hope that helps,
If you want to send the sight to me, I'd be happy to do it, no charge.

G2

Hunter
My .32's
The shorty 4.6" wears Brass, Bisley Hammer, Narrowed Trigger, Steel ERH, and not pictured but now wears Stags.
The 6.5" is a rare fluted, fixed sight.
Finally the 9.5" is a Brass Bisley w/ homemade OM Brass Medallions.
All a whoot to shoot.
3ruger32s.jpg

JTM47

Bearcat
Hondo44

I have a M30 S&W just like yours which I purchased with the intent to add target sights as you have.
I don't have machining capabilities, only hand work abilities so have not started the project.
I might be able to fabricate a front sight but machining the groove for the rear, I think would be beyond my capablity.

Would you consider taking on another like project or if not, would you have a recommendation for a smith to do this work?

Thanks

gak

Buckeye
Nice! The thought of a .32-20/.327 convertible midframe (New Vaquero and Flattop) makes me drool--the thought of a conversion (for my .357 NV) has competed with the same idea in .38-40/.40/10. It's a conundrum I tell ya! Only lack of budget thus far has kept the internal struggle from becoming unpleasant!

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I've posted it before so some are probably getting tired seeing it :D

Barrel cut to 5 inches, birdshead grip, polished ejector housing, polished cylinder pin head, polished pin ends, imitation stag grip panels, bisley hammer.

32custom4.jpg

Latest posts