Ruger 57 for black bear defense?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
When we hike. I carry my SBH loaded with Hornady 240 grain XTP. And a 10mm 1911 loaded with 180 grain hard cast. Also our dogs go with us. They would warn us hopefully.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I carry a 3 inch smith and wesson 44 magnum with hot loaded 250 grain keith style bullets in blackie areas, if there are grizzlies in the area I carry a .500 SW with a 6.5 inch barrel loaded with 275 grain barnes X bullets at 1900 fps. ( basically equivalent to a 45/70 with factory loads). I walked up on a 35 pound cub one year that I did not know was there, fortunately mom was not close by and I got out of there before junior screamed. That was the last time I left the car for the woods without a gun.

pyth0n

Buckeye
I gave the velocities of my 45 Colt loads above. I also carried a Ruger 41 mag with hardcast handloads. It appeared to give better penetration than did the 44 mag. As I mentioned, the loads were all "hot" handloads. The 44 mag loads were factory 240 gr hollow points. My 10mm loads have an MV of 1200 fps and are 220 gr. Many factors can affect ballistics tables, including type of gun (test barrels?), length, and "optimistic" reporting.

As a biologist, one thing you learn is to view "paper stats" with skepticism. What counts is "real world" experience! We/I shot a large sow (~275lbs). I shot six 357 180 gr hard cast into a 3" group just behind her ear (4" GP100). She turned to charge me and my buddy shot her from 5 feet with my 300 mag and THEN she dropped! I have been (bluff) charged by one bear and seriously charged by several wild pigs of both sexes and know how little time you have to react. That is why I prefer spray over bullets. (I was certified to use and to certify others in the use of bear spray and certified to use firearms)

You may be interested to know that the Danish Sirius Dogsled Patrols in Greenland go out for weeks, if not months, at a time and face polar bears very frequently, as well as muskox. The CHOSE the Glock 20 for protection against these bears (LARGEST species) that consider man natural prey!
How did the .44 magnum hard cast bullet do in comparison to the .45 colt hard cast?

BearBiologist

Buckeye
How did the .44 magnum hard cast bullet do in comparison to the .45 colt hard cast?
In general, the hard cast slugs did better than JSP or JHP bullets. I preferred the 41 Mag because it SEEMED to give better penetration. I think the 45 Colt did better than the 44 mag and that's what I carry here in grizzly country (along with spray!)

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
the only place in the continental US that brown bears (Grizzlies) live is only in Yellowstone Park.
This comment is ludicrous! Griz have been in the lower 48 for more than a few decades (Davis, Cali. was known as Grizzly Thickets in the 1800's) and Yellowstone may be the current "media" sensation but the Griz are in many places outside of Glacier and Jellystone! Check out "bear attacks" on google for some real life survival events, not armchair pontifications and speculation. Start with the Soda Butte Campground attacks of the sow teaching her cubs about the "soft on the outside, crunchy on the inside" food. How about the camper dragged from his tent at the West Yellowstone CG? Spray and a large bore weapon is you have the opportunity to use them may let you live to tell the tale!

mac66

Single-Sixer
I have black bears on my hunting property. See them all the time on my trail cameras, only seen them in person once in 26 years. When deer hunting I usually carry a 44 mag or 357 mag revolver just in case I get the opportunity to use it on deer. When just out and about on my land I usually just carry my EDC pistol which is a 9mm.

I have hunted black bear over hounds - my experience with them is close, and under the precedent that I'm going after them.

Black Bear can get pretty arrogant when it's Go-time

Also, I own and use a 5.7x28 revolver which I built on a Single Six
I use it on my ranch for pest and varmint control, and from what I see with it, coyote would be the biggest and most dangerous game I'd use it on.

Fun cartridge, and when handloaded for a revolver it's really versatile
Real zipper, and it can be quite accurate

I wouldn't think about going against bear with the 5.7

not really only IF you hit the vitals other then that it just passes right on through.and the yote is gone.
There are ballistic tip and hollow point projectiles that work great at 5.7x28 velocity

Note the remains of this rabbit
The bullet did it's job of opening and transferring energy amazingly well

51231945832_0662e1bfcf_h.jpg

There are fmj projectiles which can be run in the 5.7, but they definitely would not be the best choice for going after varmints

I do agree that shot placement is always a primary concern when making a shot on anything

bobsyouruncle

Single-Sixer
I think the Ruger 57 is one of the coolest guns I've seen in awhile, but for bear, nope. I lived in the mountains for 40 years and seeing bears was common, typically not aggressive, but a few years ago one got my attention coming around the house, I loaded my sawed off 12 gauge with the first shot, light bird shot, the next was rubber buck,the next two were slugs, followed by magnum buckshot. My carry gun in the woods is a Redhawk 44 mag loaded with hard bronze bullets. The plan with the shotgun was to fire the bird shot in the air or in close proximity with no intention to injure, on the one occasion I used the shot gun on a bear, I fired near him into the ground, he turned and ran and I fired the rubber buck at his rear and he accelerated and I never saw him again

buckaroo

Banned
Obviously you would want head shots if possible. That round should pierce a bears skull, plus 20 rounds and decent recoil might be more advantageous? Thoughts?

You mean validation right ? I think you answered your own question. In general wildlife will see you before you see them, they don't want anything to do with humans. But there is always that rare occasion they are starving or sick. Good luck with the head shots as you get startled. You may be on the food chain, ever heard that saying, "loaded for bear".

But where you are planning on going you better be concern about mountain lions, they'll stalk you and be on top of you before you ever know it and nothing helps you then. You'd be better off just carrying bear spray even pepper spray can save you. Have your firearm out at the ready and hope you don't drop it as he grabs you by the neck and drags you off.